Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Deleting e-mail from outbox without it sending!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Deleting e-mail from outbox without it sending!

Hi all,

First post on this forum, sorry it has to be a question, I'd very much like to help out in the future if someone can answer this one for me!

A bit of background first. I have an iPhone 3GS, which is jailbr(oken/eaked?) using 3.1.2. I get my email from gmail through the phone.

So, I received an email yesterday about work, which I mean to forward to my other half. However, instead of forwarding, you guessed it, I pressed reply, wrote a little speech about how ####ed off I was etc and hit send.

Oooohhhh craaaaaaaaaappp..... slow motion of jaw dropping and heart rate increasing rapidly. Ok, don't panic, it hasn't sent, luckily I had no signal at the time (when is that ever a GOOD thing?!), so it sat in the "outbox" section waiting for signal to send.

Quickthinkingly I put the phone in airplane mode and went back into mail to try and delete the e-mail, thinking this would stop it sending. However, the restrictions on the iPhone wouldn't let me do that. I tried restoring the phone to a previous point, but this just erased a few SMS and had no effect on emails.

I also deleted my mail account from the phone, but when I restored it, at the bottom it still says "1 unsent message."

To prevent the message sending I have for the time being left the account off my phone. However, I would really like to be able to restore it at some point,.

So what I'm asking is if there is a way to delete that message from the outbox without it sending? Whether through an app, or by completely reformatting the phone (how do I do that by the way?), or clearing the cache or SOMETHING!? I could really do without my boss seeing that email, otherwise I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do!

Thanks in advance

A

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Senior Lounger

If you can get to the message with the account deleted you should be able to swipe it with your finger and get the delete option, just like you would if you were deleting from your inbox. I just tried it here by turning on airplane mode and sending a message to myself. Worked like a charm.

Topic: Deleting e-mail from outbox without it sending!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.