Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Playlists not syncing to iPhone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Playlists not syncing to iPhone

I reformatted my laptop a month or so ago and have finally gotten my music library back into shape (tags, album art, etc) to bother syncing my phone as I knew it would wipe/recopy everything next time I plugged it in.

I manually manage my files, and have created several smart playlists (one of which includes podcasts). I have gone into the Music settings and selected all the playlists I wanted to sync as well as syncing the podcasts. All the necessary music/podcast files are being synced to the phone, however two playlists are simply refusing to copy over.

I can find no reason for this other than my phone simply wanting to drive me insane. Admittedly I don't really *need* the playlists, but the one containing the podcast was intended to help out while listening in the car as I can't select playlists from the car controls when I have it plugged in (I have a Mini) and I have to start playing the podcast file before I plug in the phone in order to listen to it in the car.

This is seemingly completely arbitrary as there are no errors in the playlists nor are there errors while syncing. The playlists are not blank. All of the music/podcasts included in the missing playlists are synced to the phone, however the playlists are not being copied.

Anyone have any information on playlists not appearing for any reason? I have searched both here and Apple support but can't really find anything like this.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

I was hoping to find an answer to this one as well... can't believe we're the only one's having this issue?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:41 PM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

Yeah, I have this issue as well. I restored my phone when the 3.1.3 firmware came out so my assumption is the issue lies there. The Play list is on my phone, it shows in iTunes but it doesn't show on the phone itself. It's annoying.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 PM

I vaguely recall hearing of a workaround where you have to edit the smart playlist to include criteria that specifically includes (or excludes) certain media types. For example, add "Media Kind is Music" to block out podcasts and videos that may otherwise meet the other smart playlist criteria. This would imply that the problem is limited to smart playlists that have mixed media types, but I don't know if that is correct. It might be worth looking into.

I do know that there is sort of a "mirror image" of this problem, where you'll get playlists sync'd to the iPod which you did not select. In that situation, you'll see a smart playlist on your iPod (or iPhone) that you didn't want on the device, and the playlist will contain a media type that you did not expect. For example, if you have a smart playlist (for music) that is simply "Rating > 3 stars", and if your device happens to contain a video or podcast that has a 4 star rating, then this playlist will appear on your device even though you did not choose to sync it. The contents of this playlist will only be the video or podcast that meets the criteria, but oddly enough it will not contain music. The solution to this is similar -- modify the playlist by adding "Media Kind is Music" and then the playlist will not show up on your device unless you want it to. Another way to do it is add "Playlist is Music", where "Music" is the general folder in the iTunes source column for music items.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Reclined Lounger

I am having the same problem with my iPod Touch since upgrading to 3.13. Driving me nuts! I've completely restored and some of my playlists showed up, but not all.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 AM

Freshman Lounger

RE;playlist not syncing to i phone

i would suggest you to go to the service point of your i phone .Because its not a not a problem which can be solved in the forum its basically a major problem your device have .Only the known repair-man can help you coming out of it .THANK YOU. HOPE THIS MAY HELP YOU...

Rueckfahrsystem
Old 03-13-2010, 04:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
I vaguely recall hearing of a workaround where you have to edit the smart playlist to include criteria that specifically includes (or excludes) certain media types. For example, add "Media Kind is Music" to block out podcasts and videos that may otherwise meet the other smart playlist criteria. This would imply that the problem is limited to smart playlists that have mixed media types, but I don't know if that is correct. It might be worth looking into.

I do know that there is sort of a "mirror image" of this problem, where you'll get playlists sync'd to the iPod which you did not select. In that situation, you'll see a smart playlist on your iPod (or iPhone) that you didn't want on the device, and the playlist will contain a media type that you did not expect. For example, if you have a smart playlist (for music) that is simply "Rating > 3 stars", and if your device happens to contain a video or podcast that has a 4 star rating, then this playlist will appear on your device even though you did not choose to sync it. The contents of this playlist will only be the video or podcast that meets the criteria, but oddly enough it will not contain music. The solution to this is similar -- modify the playlist by adding "Media Kind is Music" and then the playlist will not show up on your device unless you want it to. Another way to do it is add "Playlist is Music", where "Music" is the general folder in the iTunes source column for music items.
Yeah, I tried this but didn't have much success. The only thing that seemed to make the songs appear in the playlist on the iPhone was to remove the Live Update option. Which pretty much nullifies the point of having made a Smart Playlist in the first place really...

My workaround is this:
(The Smart Playlist exists prior to doing this - duh!)
  1. Open iTunes and add any new music
  2. Edit Smart Playlist
  3. Deselect the Live updating checkbox
  4. Sync iPhone
  5. Edit Smart Playlist and re-check the Live updating box

How and why this works, I have no idea...
Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hello everybody, I'm a brand new user to iphones. i managed to get for nothing a 16gb 3g. ver 3.1 software. when i create a playlist and import onto my iphone why does it only import the songs from the playlist and not the playlist as a folder with the songs in it? am i doing something wrong, cause this way it's only mixing all my different playlists together (
Old 03-30-2010, 03:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

I've figured out my problem, i was manually dragging the playlist not using the music sync tabs. all's well that ends well.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

In all the smart playlists, just create a new line (in edit you smart playlist). PLAYLIST IS MUSIC.
That works for me :-)

Topic: Playlists not syncing to iPhone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.