hardwired DC power supply for iPhone

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Agg2001

Egomaniacal Elitist
Website
www.gmlanddesigner.com
well, i'm a biker... and when i'm out on the backroads "carving it up" i like to just ride. sometimes i get a little "lost" and rely on my iphone to get me back home. well, the GPS app that i use (magellan OR navigon) are both battery hogs and i'm wanting to hard wire a power supply to the bike.

my question is this... would i need a 12v supply, or a 6v supply? it's basically a cigarette lighter outlet that is powered by a switched circuit on my bike (meaning it's only "hot" if the bike is on). so which one would i need to power only an iphone? or does it even matter? also, where on earth would i find something like this? ebay? anyplace else?

thanks y'all!

ADSisson

Hold Different
well, i'm a biker... and when i'm out on the backroads "carving it up" i like to just ride. sometimes i get a little "lost" and rely on my iphone to get me back home. well, the GPS app that i use (magellan OR navigon) are both battery hogs and i'm wanting to hard wire a power supply to the bike.

my question is this... would i need a 12v supply, or a 6v supply? it's basically a cigarette lighter outlet that is powered by a switched circuit on my bike (meaning it's only "hot" if the bike is on). so which one would i need to power only an iphone? or does it even matter? also, where on earth would i find something like this? ebay? anyplace else?

thanks y'all!
Are you wanting an adapter -12V- that goes from a cigarette lighter to the charge port on the phone?
If so, your local AT&T store, Best Buy, WalMart etc. would have those. There are also extended
batteries that are dual purpose. Battery and case in one.

gerwen

Shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm not familiar with bikes, but I imagine they run 12V like a car, so you just need to get any car power adapter lop of the part that fits into a cigarette lighter, and wire it in.
**edit** on second thought, it might not be best to lop off that part, as there's probably 12V to 5V circuitry there, wire it in from the contacts on that part.**

If you're not familiar with doing something like this, take it to someone who works on bikes. Should be a <20 minute job for them. They just need to find a wire that's +12V only when the ignition is on, and a ground to wire it to. Current is pretty low so it shouldn't have an impact on any of the bike's systems. Make sure they (you) put a fuse on it as well.