Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Custom ringtones on iPhone 3GS

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Custom ringtones on iPhone 3GS

Today I became the proud owner of an iPhone 3GS. I created a custom ringtone for my iPhone using Audacity but I have no idea how to move it onto my iPhone. I've been told you can only use ringtones purchased from iTunes, which is a ridiculously backwards move by Apple if it's true. I would really appreciate some advice on the best way to add custom ringtones to my 3GS without voiding the warranty or jailbreaking the phone.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the link Honeybee. I followed the instructions on that guide but my iPhone doesn't seem to have the custom ringtone as an option. It's in the Ringtones section of iTunes now, which means I'm getting somewhere, but when I go to 'Settings>Sounds>Ringtone' all I can see are the default options, not my custom one. Any advice on this?

I'm on iTunes 8.2 so I think that's why it isn't working. I refuse to pay money for ringtones, it won't be long before I'll have to pay money to use custom wallpapers as well. How easy is it to downgrade my iTunes to a compatible version? I don't want to uninstall it only to realise I've deleted my entire music library alongside it... I am not a very smart man.

Last edited by Nemphtis; 08-12-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 PM

Make sure you have ringtones checked in iTunes under the tab while the phone is connected. Any ringtone you make will show up. Make sure the time is within the 30 seconds or less.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee1236 View Post
Make sure you have ringtones checked in iTunes under the tab while the phone is connected. Any ringtone you make will show up. Make sure the time is within the 30 seconds or less.
Yeah I have it checked and it's visible there, just not on the iPhone. Are you sure this works on version 8.2 of iTunes since people seem to be talking about it not working on later versions in the topic you linked me to. My track is 15 seconds long.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Mine all work and transferred to my iPhone. I haven't had any problems with my custom ringtones. I have the 3GS & the current iTunes.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM

Hold Different

try putting the rings in to your document file first.
Open iTunes, open the document folder, drag the ring tone to the folder under
library. Sync iPhone

1GIG 2G SHUFFLE 8GIG 4G NANO 8GIG 3G iPhone 16GIG iPhone 4
Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 PM

Did you scroll up while in sounds under setting? The customs appear above the presets.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee1236 View Post
Did you scroll up while in sounds under setting? The customs appear above the presets.
Yeah I did, it's definitely not on the iPhone. I'm trying to find a video tutorial so I can visually see if I've done anything wrong. If anyone knows of a good video tutorial please link me to one, I haven't found a decent one yet.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

I found some useful video tutorials and finally got it to work, although I have no idea what I did wrong still. It works though and that's all I'm concerned about, glad I don't have to pay money for ringtones any more. I hope someone finds a way to get free wallpapers when Apple inevitably starts charging money for those too. Thanks for the help guys. :]
Old 10-18-2009, 04:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face missing custom ringtones

i, too, am a new iphone 3gs owner.. i have a couple of missing custom ringtones.. using itunes 9, they have the file type .m4r..... and appear as "ringtone" in the "kind" column of itunes... but when sync'd with the new iphone 3gs, no custom ringtones... no custom section in sounds .... even odder, one of the ringtones appear in the music section, but not the other... i reset the iphone, i rebooted the iphone, i remade the ringtones... no custom anything.... any ideas?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 AM

Freshman Lounger

Missing Ringtones

I too have the same problem. I purchased the 100 favorite ringtones or something like that on itunes on my pc and can't figure out how to get them on my iphone
Old 04-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

hi (Nemphtis),

i tried all the method(s) as per the videos available on youtube. could u please send me a link to the video guide me step by step to get the ringtones on my iphone 3gs.

thanks

Arun
Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

no luck here either... :(

Hi,

I tried all the steps detailed and just like Nemphtis I saw the ringtone in iTunes, dragged & dropped it to the iPhone (and I actually see the new song under "ringtones" when I browse the iPhone using iTunes), but I cannot find the song in the iPhone itself.

I've automatically Synched the iPhone, connected and disconnected it, and all the combinations and actions I could think of... and nothing. I cannot find the new song.

please heeeeeeeeeeeelp!

R.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

Are they longer than 40 seconds? They will not work as ringtones if they are longer than 40 seconds.

Topic: Custom ringtones on iPhone 3GS

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.