Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do I erase all my info off the iphone?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 PM

JMG
asdf

How do I erase all my info off the iphone?

I just sold my 3G and I want to jailbreak and unlock it as well as erase all my personal info from it.

So far I think I have to restore to factory, jailbreak using redsnow, then unlock with ultrasnow. At this point I heard you can restore to factory again and the jailbreak will dissappear, but the unlock will stick? Is this true and how do i confirm this if I am mailing the iphone out to the new owner? (i need to confirm before I mail out so it doesnt have to be sent back etc)

If anyone has done this before please let me know what I need to check and do to make sure none of my account info is the phone. THANKS!!!

iPhone 4S 64gb , iPad 3 64gb
iPod: 8gb iTouch, 160gb Classic, 8gb Nano (product)Red, 4gb Shuffle 3G
See my iPod install in my Audi S4

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

I believe that when you do a restore (rather than update) of firmware it would erase all the data as well.

But to make sure, after restore, go into your iPhone's settings>general>reset and choose the second item (Erase All Contents and Settings). It will ask you for the lockscreen password to confirm.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:25 AM

JMG
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesteve View Post
I believe that when you do a restore (rather than update) of firmware it would erase all the data as well.

But to make sure, after restore, go into your iPhone's settings>general>reset and choose the second item (Erase All Contents and Settings). It will ask you for the lockscreen password to confirm.
Thanks eaglesteve! I just found that setting as well.

FYI for everyone else, doing a RESTORE does NOT delete account info and personal data. Your Apple Account login (not password) and phone number are still embeded. Those must be removed manually. Also, the "erase all content and settings" is the other mandatory set in the process, as eaglesteve mentioned.

iPhone 4S 64gb , iPad 3 64gb
iPod: 8gb iTouch, 160gb Classic, 8gb Nano (product)Red, 4gb Shuffle 3G
See my iPod install in my Audi S4
Old 07-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Junior Lounger

If you wish to erase everything..hold down shift while clicking on restore.. This will allow you the option to restore back up or set up as new phone.. setting up as new phone will delete everything and start over...
Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post
Thanks eaglesteve! I just found that setting as well.

FYI for everyone else, doing a RESTORE does NOT delete account info and personal data. Your Apple Account login (not password) and phone number are still embeded. Those must be removed manually. Also, the "erase all content and settings" is the other mandatory set in the process, as eaglesteve mentioned.
Thanks for this info. It has come in handy since I'm about to sell my 1st gen iPhone. The only thing was with the phone number.

Edit to update:
I restored my iPhone and set it up as a new phone and the options that were listed I set all of them to 'none' using the drop down arrows. I had to type in the #0 to get ''save'' not to be greyed out to erase the phone number.

Last edited by honeybee1236; 07-11-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Topic: How do I erase all my info off the iphone?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.