Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Junior Lounger

SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far

I know this case has been mentioned here before a while ago, but I thought I would add my experience so far regarding the company as much as the case. I ordered the SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin [UV Crystal] case via Amazon this past Monday (6/22/09). The cost was $12.99 plus $2.98 shipping. It was shipped by SGP the next day. I received it on Thursday (6/25/09) via the regular mail. I ordered the version that did not include screen protectors since I already have a Power Support crystal shield installed.

When I opened the package, I found the case in its package with about a one inch crack on the bottom in the middle. I immediately emailed SGP. The instructions on their web site say to email pictures of the defect in order to get a replacement. About twenty minutes later I received a response from SGP apologizing for the problem and stating that I would receive a tracking number within the hour for a replacement shipment. They said I didn't need to mail them the broken case since I sent the pictures. A half hour later I received an email with the tracking number for my replacement case.

So I might as well use the one I received until I get the replacement. You can see on the pictures that I put tape over the crack to try and keep it together for the next few days. The iphone seems to be staying in the case well enough despite the defect. I only wanted something to protect the back, which is exactly what this case does. It only comes up to, but does cover at all, the silver bezel. That means there is no protection when the iphone is placed face down which seems to be a big issue for some people. I'm not sure why I would want to sit my phone face down, so this is not an issue for me. I have the crystal version of the case, so there is no additional tackiness or grip. It is smooth plastic just like the back of the phone itself.

The case is extremely light. There does not appear to be any noticeable weight when it is attached to the iphone. All of the controls and ports are open and accessible. I tried two different headphones, both easily plugged in to the phone. The case leaves plenty of room around the headphone jack. The camera lens is not perfectly centered in the case's opening on the back, but no part of the lens is covered. I was able to take pictures with no issues.

The only minor issue I can see so far is how it feels in my hand. I can feel the bump where the case ends, then there is the top part of the phone that is not covered. Compare that to a case which would cover the entire bezel. You would not feel the bump since that type of case would be flush with the iphone screen.

With this case on, you can fit the iphone in the Incase Leather Folio.

I wanted a case that was: as light and unobtrusive as possible, clear, and would protect the back of my phone. This one covers all of those requirements. You can see a video review of this case on YouTube by itsmemorphious. I will update this post when I receive the replacement case.
Attached Thumbnails
SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far-img_0081.jpg   SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far-img_0082.jpg   SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far-img_0086.jpg   SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far-img_0090.jpg   SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far-img_0093.jpg  

Adam Carolla podcast via iTunes or adamcarolla.com

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 PM

Junior Lounger

Update with replacement case

Update to my original post:
Now I realize I shouldn't have included "...so far" in the title to this post since its over. I received word from SGP late Thursday afternoon (Eastern time) that they would be mailing me a replacement case. It came in the mail the following Saturday. In one piece.

Nothing too surprising. The case does not seem to snap on, but I am not worried about it sliding off. Taking it off requires more than easily sliding it off of the phone. That is not to say it is hard by any stretch. I am just trying to say that the case stays on solid.

In the short amount of time I have been using this case, I would say that I am satisfied. Not ecstatic, but satisfied. I know this case is not for everyone due to how much of the top of the iphone that is exposed. I wanted something mainly for use around the house and that's what I got.

The big discovery with this purchase was the company SGP. The case was fairly cheap, at least compared to other cases. And they did not hesitate to send me my replacement -- and send it fast.
Attached Thumbnails
SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far-img_0098.jpg   SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far-img_0099.jpg   SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far-img_0100.jpg   SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far-img_0105.jpg  

Adam Carolla podcast via iTunes or adamcarolla.com

Last edited by yo$$arian; 06-28-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Topic: SGP Case for iPhone 3G/ 3G S Ultra Thin case saga so far

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.