Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: smart playlists and my new iphone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 AM

Freshman Lounger

smart playlists and my new iphone

I have the following smart playlists and they work just fine individually.

- Rating is 5 stars, less then 6 minutes, not played in the last 3 days limit 250
- Rating is 4 stars, less then 6 minutes, not played in the last 2 weeks limit 200
- Rating is 3 stars, less then 6 minutes, not played in the last 6 weeks limit 125
- Rating is 2 stars, less then 6 minutes, not played in the last 6 months limit 10
- Rating is greater than 2 stars, more then 6 minutes, not played in the last 20 days limit 30
- Rating is 2 stars, greater then 6 mintues, not played in the last 10 months limit 10
- Size less then 100mb, not played in the last 3 days limit 100 by most often played
- Play count is 0 limit 100
- not played in the last day, added in the past 30 days limit 150
- time less then 1:20 and not played in the past 2 months. Rating is above 1 star and limit 165.
(note they are all selected by random and have live updating checked)

When i include them all into another Smart Playlist,
(ex: Playlist is .., playlist is.., )

they won't live update on my iphone, it works on my ipod classic and 4th gen ipod. What gives?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 AM

Do you have 3.0 installed? It seems that if you have a lot of SPLs on your device then Live Updating breaks. I'm seeing this on my Touch with 3.0; no solution yet.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yea, it's the new iphone 3gs so 3.0 comes on it by default. Hopefully they fix it soon.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Junior Lounger

Yeah any playlist that references another won't live update is what I'm seeing. I started from bare bones on my IPhone and just had two Smart Playlists. One had a "Playlist is not" reference to the other while the other had no playlist reference. The one with no reference updated fine while the other did not. When I edited the playlist with the reference and removed it and resynced it then updated correctly on the phone. Just to make sure I did a "Playlist is" ref so both playlists had the same songs and again the "Playlist is" didn't update while the one with no playlist ref updated fine.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Are the playlists that the smartplaylists reference on the iPod as well? they need to be for live updating to work, though if Rockmyplimsoul is seeing issues I know he is doing it right

So sad that the live updating we love the most gets broken. It was broken on 4th gen plus iPods for a "long" time...

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverridge View Post
Yeah any playlist that references another won't live update is what I'm seeing. I started from bare bones on my IPhone and just had two Smart Playlists. One had a "Playlist is not" reference to the other while the other had no playlist reference. The one with no reference updated fine while the other did not. When I edited the playlist with the reference and removed it and resynced it then updated correctly on the phone. Just to make sure I did a "Playlist is" ref so both playlists had the same songs and again the "Playlist is" didn't update while the one with no playlist ref updated fine.
Yes this is exactly what I'm seeing. I know my smart playlists work because they work perfectly fine on my Ipod Classic and Ipod 4th generation. It's just my new Iphone where it doesn't work.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studogvetmed
Are the playlists that the smartplaylists reference on the iPod as well? they need to be for live updating to work, though if Rockmyplimsoul is seeing issues I know he is doing it right
Thanks for the vote of confidence Stu

Yes, all playlists that are part of other playlists are loaded onto my Touch (I verified this by looking for "!" next to playlists on my Touch while connected to iTunes).

Live Updating did work with 3.0 when I pared everything down to the most simple playlist of all -- Rating is 5 stars. With only that playlist (and only 100 songs on my Touch) the Live Updating worked (and the Touch worked in my Honda, another 3.0 issue). However, once I loaded all my playlists and songs, Live Updating no longer worked (neither does the Honda iPod interface).

This may be why some users say Live Updating works for them -- maybe they only have a few smart playlists, and simple ones at that. We "power users" who use Code Monkey's playlist method are out of luck with Live Updating. I really think this is some sort of memory issue -- I guess we'll never know for sure. I tried stripping my playlists down to only about 10 but still have problems.

I have one more experiment to try, eliminate all smart playlists that depend on other playlists, and then see if the remaining smart playlists Live Update. I'll post what happens later ...
Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence Stu

Yes, all playlists that are part of other playlists are loaded onto my Touch (I verified this by looking for "!" next to playlists on my Touch while connected to iTunes).

Live Updating did work with 3.0 when I pared everything down to the most simple playlist of all -- Rating is 5 stars. With only that playlist (and only 100 songs on my Touch) the Live Updating worked (and the Touch worked in my Honda, another 3.0 issue). However, once I loaded all my playlists and songs, Live Updating no longer worked (neither does the Honda iPod interface).

This may be why some users say Live Updating works for them -- maybe they only have a few smart playlists, and simple ones at that. We "power users" who use Code Monkey's playlist method are out of luck with Live Updating. I really think this is some sort of memory issue -- I guess we'll never know for sure. I tried stripping my playlists down to only about 10 but still have problems.

I have one more experiment to try, eliminate all smart playlists that depend on other playlists, and then see if the remaining smart playlists Live Update. I'll post what happens later ...
It can't really be a memory issue, the original iphone has 128megs of memory and the new one has 256. If the Ipod Classic can do it why can't the Iphone. The iphone is way more powerful.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrk
It can't really be a memory issue, the original iphone has 128megs of memory and the new one has 256. If the Ipod Classic can do it why can't the Iphone. The iphone is way more powerful.
Not a lack of memory, but rather a memory management issue (e.g. not freeing up memory when it's supposed to, corrupted memory, etc.) which could be the result of bugs in the OS.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Junior Lounger

I did mine with only two playlist....New and Unrated.....Only had 10 songs total on the IPHONE. "New" ...not played in last 2 days and Playlist is Unrated. I created "Unrated" .... not played in the last 2 days and rating is (blank).

Both playlists contained the exact same 10 songs. I played one song to the end and "Unrated" updated properly while "New" with the playlist reference did not. I also tried Playlist is not....with the needed other playlist and it didn't work as well. Simply removing the playlist is reference from "New" allowed it to updated properly.

Tested the same setup on my Nano and both playlists updated properly with the playlist reference.

So 3.0 seems to have messed up it's ability to recognize the other playlists or the playlist parameter got changed and messed up I would think.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Barca Lounger

Noticed another annoying 3.0/8.2 "feature". If you enable "only synch selected playlists", playlist names come over if a song on a checked playlist is also part of an unchecked list. I like to keep my iPhone and Touch neat, so I don't have to scroll the list. Buh bye neat!

1st gen iPod mini (in the lovely, rare gold), enhanced 5th gen 80g white, 2nd gen shuffle silver, 8g 1st gen Touch, iPhone 3GS 32g white
Compute both ways - XP and OS X - and using MobileMe to organize it all
Collecting music since 1959
Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 PM

Check the definition of that "rogue" playlist. It could be an old problem where if you don't specifically exclude video from the playlist it will sync to your iPod even if it is not checked. Add the criteria "Kind does not contain video" (Kind, not Video Kind).
Old 06-27-2009, 08:36 AM

Power Lounger

Count me as another that really counts on live updating to get the most out of my iPod/iPhone, so this really affects me. Hope it's fixed soon.

Matt | 16 GB iPhone 4 | 3G 8 GB black iPod Nano | 16772 songs | 43.8 days | 87.39 GB
Old 06-30-2009, 06:17 PM

This is also effecting me and I HATE IT.

It's driving me crazy. Why can;t the flagship of Apple's iPod lineup not do the same things my 4 year old Nano can do?

It's ridiculous.

I use playlists a lot and my entire system is completely and utterly broken by this terrible and glaring flaw that no one ever seems to mention.

Has this really been like this on the iPhone since the beginning? Why hasn't more of a stink been made about it? And what the hell? Why? Why can't this micro computer handle something so seemingly basic?

It sucks. SUCKS!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ditto. I use nothing but "Smart" playlists on my iPhone and this bug is extremely annoying, and hard to believe passed Apple's QA and beta testing with flying colors.

I posted a question on Apple's discussion forum, but received no replies. I think perhaps users of smart playlists are a small minority and largely ignored

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2063025&tstart=0

Topic: smart playlists and my new iphone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.