Will 3G be obsolete soon?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

meddleuk

I don't know what to do. My contract is up with T-Mobile on 1st April and I currently have an Omnia running Windows Mobile. I really want to make the switch to 02 for the Iphone and I would only be paying an extra 4 quid a month on tariff (plus the £50 for the handset) to get the 16GB model. The only thing I'm a bit scared of is a new model coming out in June with killer features that makes the 3G obsolete. With the contract being for 2 years even if a new Iphone doesn't come out next month but next year I will still have the same problem.

Does anyone know what features the new Iphone is likely to have. A new camera doesn't concern me but if they radically increased the memory that would make me want to wait. Do you think the 3G will still be supported in 2 years time with the Appstore still supporting it or would it wiser to wait until June.

Cheers,
meddle

R

ReyZero

Personally I would wait for the new one
Buying the 3g means you'll be 2 models back by the time your contract is up, instead of one.
This 3.0 seems to be okay on the 3g but no mms and other features on the 1g

meddleuk

I know but 3-4 months of waiting is a long time when out of contract. I wouldn't mind if the hardware is only a minor upgrade such as camera or battery, I can live with what the 3G has. My main concern going into a 24month contract is that the Appstore will still fully support the 3G over the next 2 years. This is what I want an Iphone for, all the brillant apps and the support that sites like this provide.

I know the majority seemed to jump ship from the 2G to the 3G but can you see the same thing happening again.

R

ReyZero

meddleuk said:
I know but 3-4 months of waiting is a long time when out of contract. I wouldn't mind if the hardware is only a minor upgrade such as camera or battery, I can live with what the 3G has. My main concern going into a 24month contract is that the Appstore will still fully support the 3G over the next 2 years. This is what I want an Iphone for, all the brillant apps and the support that sites like this provide.

I know the majority seemed to jump ship from the 2G to the 3G but can you see the same thing happening again.
Just because your contract is up, doesn't mean you go without service, it just means you can quit at any time without any early termination fees.

I see the Apple fan boys moving from the 3G to the 3rd gen' easily, but I'm going to wait for the next one unless this 3rd gen' is going to have features that I can't shake not having.

All-in-all, if you really want the iPhone and love how it is now, go for it, but if you can be patient it could pay off.