iphone 3.0 forgot UDID and unable to restore.. - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iphone 3.0 forgot UDID and unable to restore..

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

iphone 3.0 forgot UDID and unable to restore..

Tried to install OS 3 beta..
During the installation process i noticed that a unique device ID is needed. Itunes failed to activate. I could not get this ID throw Xcode (Window/Organizer is empty). So I tried to restore the iphone back to 2.2 through putting it in recovery mode. and then restoring.. I get an error (error 21.).. Please can you help me?
After that I tried to restore thrue the DFU mode. I get also a recovery error 2001
Are there other ways the get the Device ID so I can continue the activation process?

phone is not jailbrocken..

Thanks
Niels
Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 AM

Been around a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by niels1000
During the installation process i noticed that a unique device ID is needed. Itunes failed to activate. I could not get this ID throw Xcode (Window/Organizer is empty). So I tried to restore the iphone back to 2.2 through putting it in recovery mode. and then restoring.. I get an error (error 21.).. Please can you help me?
After that I tried to restore thrue the DFU mode. I get also a recovery error 2001
Are there other ways the get the Device ID so I can continue the activation process?

Thanks
Niels
For the most part you have bricked your iphone
The following has been posted on a few sites talking about the beta os.
Your only hope is to find someone who paid for the kit and see if they can work with Apple to on brick your phone.
The key to get the beta software to work you have to be a developer and register your iphone with apple prior to applying the beta to your iphone.

For those trying to install the iPhone Beta OS software (and this is because Apple drops the ball on providing any clear instructions - READ Notes below before trying these steps)
1) Download both the SDK and Beta OS
2) Run the SDK (XCODE App) with your iPhone attached
3) Copy the long UDID string of characters
4) Log in to your iPhone developer account
5) Register your iPhone as a developer device using the UDID string (paste it here)
6) Close iTunes
7) Go back into XCODE and Restore the OS (basically point it to the downloaded iPhone OS 3.0 beta file)
8) Once complete, unplug the iPhone, open iTunes and replug the USB
9) Either setup as a new device or restore using your old image. NOTE: Restoring will bring over your network settings, some saved App files, etc. but will not sync your Apps/Photos/Music automatically.
10) Sync
11) Oh Happy Day! You are now done and up and running!

NOTES:
a) You MUST be a registered iPhone developer or you will brick your phone. $99 at developer.apple.com
b) You SHOULD register your device as a developer device BEFORE you upgrade the beta OS
c) You CANNOT revert back to a previous iPhone OS so once you go down this road, you either will get iPhone OS 3.0 beta working on your iPhone or you will render your iPhone useless. Make sure you have a developer account and register your iPhone BEFORE doing the above steps! To register look at steps 4/5 above

As you see above it talks about not being able to roll back the os. The key is to get the beta software to work you have to be a developer and register your iphone with apple

Shameless1

PS. I wonder how many more people with brick thier iphone trying to get the 3.0 beta software to work.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:57 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameless1
PS. I wonder how many more people with brick thier iphone trying to get the 3.0 beta software to work.
I did. The shame of it all. I ended up with error 1031. I managed to reset it by dragging an old PC out and installing as a new device. [mopped brow]

Stopped fiddling with things I don't understand.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 AM

If you're a legitimate developer, however, with access to the Dev portal (which it sounds like the OP is), you can punch your UDID in. It sounds like the problem the OP is having is finding the UDID, not simply entering it.

If you have a backup of your iPhone somewhere on your computer, you can easily grab the UDID from there.... The UDID is simply the name of the backup folder itself, which is stored under ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups You may also be able to find it in a registration PLIST file in your ~/Library/Lockdown folder, since a copy of your iPhone "activation" credentials are stored there. Again, the name of the file is your UDID.

You won't be able to roll back the OS due to the baseband firmware update, and in fact this is common to previous versions of the iPhone OS as well (even v1.1 couldn't be rolled back to v1.0 for the same reason). As a worst-case scenario, some of the jailbreaking tools might help you with this, as they're specifically able to roll-back a baseband update. You're far better off, however, just to get your UDID and try and put 3.0 back on.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Jesse Hollington; 03-27-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:19 AM

Reclined Lounger

Can't people just wait till it's officially released!!

It ain't worth the potential heartach.

iPod Collection.
1x 5g 30gig,1x Classic 160gig, 1x iPod Nano 2g Blue 4gig, 2x iPod Hi-Fi, 1x Hi-Fi Traveller Case, 3x Universal docks, 3x iPod AV Cables, 1xRadio Remote, 2x Wall Chargers. Ultimate Ears Super.Fi5 Pro, Shure SE530PTH
Old 03-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by niels1000

Thanks
Niels
Hey man. I am a new member and I tried that too. You can get the UDID by using adhoc helper by downloading it in appstore. Although I used DFU mode and it restored just fine. If you hold the option key on mac or the shift key on windows then just manually download another copy of 2.2.1 and use it.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hey guys...
I have the same problem that most of the others seems to have when they tried to update do OS 3.0 Beta. (it is locked...)
Before I did it my iphone 3g was on the latest firmware, 2.2.1 ?
I've now tried to put it in DFU mode and restore it, dident work, got an error every time. I've tried to restor it to another version (2.0), same thing, error every time...
Does anybody know how to restore it? Without waiting until the official release comes out, and without paying 99$ to be in the developer team? Or is it possible to do it ??

Hate that apple always is so smart...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 AM

The only legitimate way to install and use the 3.0 beta is to be part of the Apple iPhone Developer program, as 3.0 is in closed beta right now. Any other methods that may be available are not legal and there are no guarantees that they will work without causing problems or rendering your iPhone completely inoperable.

Further, since the 3.0 firmware also updates the iPhone's baseband firmware, there is no simple way to go back. Some of the jailbreaking tools can be used to downgrade the firmware in the same way that this was done for previous iPhone versions, but this of course isn't a supported configuration either.

The release notes that are provided to the legit iPhone developers make it fairly clear that upgrading to 3.0 is officially a one-way trip on the iPhone and also emphasizes that the beta should not be run on "production" hardware even by legitimate developers.

If you're not part of the iPhone Developer program and are using the 3.0 code, then you're basically running pirated software.

The bottom line: Unless you are part of the iPhone Developer Program and can get a legitimate copy of the 3.0 beta firmware, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL IT as you won't be able to activate it without hacking around, Apple could conceivably DE-activate it on you at any point and there's no easy way of going back to a previous firmware.

Click the image to open in full size.

Topic: iphone 3.0 forgot UDID and unable to restore..

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.