Confirmed: Flash coming to the iPhone; no date set yet - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Confirmed: Flash coming to the iPhone; no date set yet

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-01-2009, 03:36 AM

Pro Lounger

Confirmed: Flash coming to the iPhone; no date set yet

Yep, you read right. It's been discussed a bit in another topic but I thought it was worthy of its own headline here.
According to Engadget:
Quote:
With Android getting all Flash-ey, Apple's "Goldilocks" position on Flash -- the full Flash player is too hefty, Flash Lite is too weak -- seemed pretty untenable. Now Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen has revealed that Apple and Adobe are "collaborating" on making Flash a reality on the iPhone, citing the technical challenge it presents. What's clear is that with all this work to do, it doesn't seem they're going the watered-down Flash Lite route, but we're trying not to hold our breath for a full-on, Hulu-friendly version that will finally help us get that Doogie Howser fix on the go. Naturally, there's no word on when this will hit.
This is excellent. I'm just wondering if we'll still have the "YouTube" icon or if it'll just be deleted or maybe replaced with "Flash" or something. I think it'll stay with Flash as a plugin for Safari, with YouTube links opening in the YouTube app as usual. Hopefully it'll have an on/off toggle in the Safari settings.
Awesome. Now give me iChat with push (and hotmail support), copy/paste, landscape keyboard for mail, texting, and iChat, along with call duration logs, and I'll be happy.
^That's my idea of an ideal 3.0 software (with flash, of course). I'd also like the Wi-Fi toggle to be in the Settings directly, not clicking on "Wi-Fi" then the toggle. The name of the network you're connected to could be on its left directly, and you'd press the "Wi-Fi" text or the network name to go into the actual Wi-Fi Settings to choose the network and whatnot.

I'm assuming Flash will come with 3.0 at earliest, but it's probably the most likely scenario seeing as they've been working on it since the SDK actually launched. 3.1 at latest.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:50 AM

Reclined Lounger

I wonder if it'll actually amount to anything - like all those other times.

Sonny wakes up in the morning, there's a stranger in his bed
Someone's poundin' on the hotel door, he wishes he was dead
I've had so many blackout nights before, I don't think I can take this anymore
Why don't ya pass the gun around, give everyone a shot, give everyone a shot
DaDa...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:44 AM

ReyZero

I hope to god it's not going to require the hardware with this "new" iPhone that's coming out. If so, I'm going to have to call Wayne Brady to choke a Biatch
Thanks for the heads up, I may have faith in my device yet

Old 02-01-2009, 04:49 AM

Pro Lounger

Yes, it will, this is official. No rumors.
And I seriously doubt it will. They wouldn't have announced it now, before announcing the new iPhone, had you needed the new iPhone hardware for it.

Also, I forgot: folders and a user background in my first post. With only the dock and top bar showing, and a background between the two only, no icons. Much like the Pre, if you will.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Veteran Lounger

The story said that Adobe is working with Apple to get Flash on the iPhone. However, at any point, either company could pull out saying that the relationship is not working. Until Apple says, "The next update will contain Flash," I would never call it official.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Dim
Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by anypats
Until Apple says, "The next update will contain Flash," I would never call it official.
Exactly my sentiments.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" Intel 2.8GHz
Camera: Nikon D40x
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Until Apple says, "The next update will contain Flash," I would never call it official.
Just like they said 2.1 will have 3rd party push?
Apple's not stupid enough to announce this if they weren't sure of it. They're not backing out. It's now a matter of if, not when. You people are so "the glass is half empty."
Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 PM

ReyZero

I'm the glass is at half capacity kind of guy, my math teacher gave that bad joke to me, since I basically helped people in my math class since I always had assignments done in advance.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

It's about time, been waiting forever for Flash to come out on iphone!!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim
Exactly my sentiments.
Agreed, in NO WAY is this confirmed, total misleading title for this post. Way to totally not read anything and assume. Its not official, not anytime soon, they're working on it. Wow, seriously these boards have become so sad

8gb iPhone 2G(retired to my closet) 16GB Touch 1G(still get use at the gym) 16GB iPhone 3G (with me everyday)
Old 02-04-2009, 06:14 PM

ReyZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmyipod
Agreed, in NO WAY is this confirmed, total misleading title for this post. Way to totally not read anything and assume. Its not official, not anytime soon, they're working on it. Wow, seriously these boards have become so sad
Saying that Apple and Adobe are working together to make a Flash player for the iPhone is a lot more interesting then hearing things like "Flash breaks Apple's ToS" or "Steve Jobs says NO FLASH".

Topic: Confirmed: Flash coming to the iPhone; no date set yet

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.