IPhone Mystery Addition with 2.2

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jonmyles

Can anyone help with this.
After upgrading to my 8GB iPhone to 2.2 I've suddenly found 1.34GB of what is described as 'other' on the summary page in iTunes.
My Music takes 4.74GB, Video 82.4MB, Photos 2.7MB, and Apps 155.1KB.
Anyone know what this 1.34GB of 'other' is? More importantly, can I shave it down somehow?
Thanks

R

ReyZero

I've noticed my iPhone pick up alot of other data but never over a gig. I'd imagine alot of it was from the update so try maybe just resyncing the phone after a good reset and charge will change that figure

jonmyles

Tried

Thanks for that. Though tried it and it didn't work - just went down to 1.30GB.
Have no idea where this extra data is coming from. I've definitely not done anything to get it on there.
Any ideas appreciated.

iNickM

Sometimes, if a sync gets interrupted, then some data can get trapped, so to speak, as "Other". This happened to me with all my music. A restore, as Jimmy suggests, did the trick.

djjasman

This has happened to me too. I believe the issue has to do with the apps. When apps create their own files within the app i think that itunes cant distinguish these files so it names them as others Have all your apps removed but back them up fist thru syncing, and note if most of your "other" gets smaller. Then re-install your apps. Let me know if this works for u.

jonmyles

Hi djjasman

Nope. Made no difference.
However, I didn't sync. I manually sync on my home laptop as I use one Mac at work and one at home. I've now created a back-up of all my contacts on the home laptop and created a folder for the music I want there.
I take it if I sync now I'm not going to lose any information? Is that right? I'm paranoid about losing my contacts!!!
Any more help appreciated.

mde83

I thought that the bulk of "other" was cookies and other tracking files from the internet. I know that when I cleared my history, cookies and cache, my "other" went down significantly... Maybe just a coincidence

daihard

mde83 said:
I thought that the bulk of "other" was cookies and other tracking files from the internet. I know that when I cleared my history, cookies and cache, my "other" went down significantly... Maybe just a coincidence
It may indeed be a coincidence. My "other" data was 399.4 GB before I cleared cookies, history and cache. After that it was still 399.3 MB. :D