Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How can I change my iPhone into an iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-27-2008, 02:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face How can I change my iPhone into an iPod?

I had to deactivate my iPhone because I had to get a different phone for work (forced to have access to email - yuck!).

But I want to use my iPhone as an iPod but iTunes won't let me bypass AT&T registration (and I am already a customer, which is annoying). The Genius at the Apple Store told me to Google "iphone to ipod conversion" to get "simple instructions" on how to get it to work as just an iPod, but I can't find anything. They wiped the device and installed the latest software but wouldn't tell me how to get it to "just be an iPod" - even though they know how, but are probably not allowed to tell me. Can anyone help?? Thanks!!! Lost in Boston.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:47 AM

Senior Lounger

There is a way to remove the sim lock (the software that makes a phone work only on a certain carrier) but I don't know what it is. If you change your thread title to 'How to unlock an iPhone to work on any network' I suspect you will get flooded with useful responses.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:45 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legoman182182
There is a way to remove the sim lock (the software that makes a phone work only on a certain carrier) but I don't know what it is. If you change your thread title to 'How to unlock an iPhone to work on any network' I suspect you will get flooded with useful responses.
Well that and the fact that the iPhone is already an iPod and the title lends itself to be rather silly.

I think your best bet would be like Legoman said, unlock the phone to work on any carrier so that you can simply bypass the activation all together.
What you didn't say was whether or not you had a 1st gen or 2nd gen phone, that'll probably alter the responses here as well.

"Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture." Dogbert
Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for your help!

I appreciate the tips. I hope I can manage the process. Any pointers to best sites are welcome. It is a first gen phone with updated software.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:35 PM

Power Lounger

How about I just buy it off you?

3g nano | | 2g shuffle | NEW! 120gb classic | Grado SR225 | Sennheiser HD280 pro

Topic: How can I change my iPhone into an iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.