Do you have a jailbreak iPhone?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Did you jailbreak your iPhone?

• Total voters

thedp

Website
www.bloodware.net
Have you jailbreak your iPhone?
Did you do it because you don't like AT&T and other so called "legal" providers, or just because it was the only way to use your iPhone where you live?
Or you have a "legal" provider but just want all the cool apps :)

Last edited:

thedp

Website
www.bloodware.net
I have a jailbreak iPhone because it is the only way I can use my iPhone as a functional cellphone where I live: Israel.

But I believe that even if I had a legal provider, I would still jailbreak because Apple's app restrictions suck!

Ed2020

Why no option for "yes and no". I have two - one jailbroken, one not. :)

Just to be pedantic jailbreaking will not help you use your device with a different carrier. Unlocking will do this. The two processes are very different.

Ed.

jason72780

I did it for video recording, and more specificly, qik. Awsome program

thedp

Website
www.bloodware.net
Ed2020 said:
Why no option for "yes and no". I have two - one jailbroken, one not. :)

Just to be pedantic jailbreaking will not help you use your device with a different carrier. Unlocking will do this. The two processes are very different.

Ed.
Good point ;)

daihard

The answer is "no." I've been thinking about jailbreaking my iPod touch to explore the endless possibility of third-party apps, but I haven't gotten up the nerve yet.

shart

question: if I jailbreak with 2.0.2 software can I still by apps from apple app store and jailbroken apps?

jason72780

yea. The supply of apps isn't as good as it was before 2.0 but is still ok. I use both installer and app store apps

kyussmondo

I jailbroke my first iPhone because I got my iPhone from the US on eBay before it was released in the UK, plus I was stuck in a contract with T-Mobile. This time around I am not with T-Mobile so went fully official with O2 and have not jailbroken it. To be honest I never used third-party apps much, I still don't. The only thing I jailbroke it for was to unlock it on T-Mobile.

jason72780

jailbreaking has nothing to do with using it on another carrier or oversees except for jailbreaking and unlocking are usually done in the same step. Jailbreaking only adds additional fuctionality and programs.

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
I jailbroke my old iPod touch some time ago but I restored it about a day later because I can't stand having it in a "hacked" state. I just don't feel right when my device is hacked.

I am way too scared to jailbreak my iPhone 3G. I'll wait will Apple's convention on September 9th to see what they add on the 2.1 update.

jason72780

sorry didn't see your post for a few days and forgot about it. Jailbreak and unlock are just used too interchangably by many people, even tho they are 2 comepletely different animals

WallyWaldo

Potato Lounger
My 3G iPhone is jailbroken and mainly did it because I couldn't stand not having ringtones for text messages. I use to have an iPod touch and it was jailbroken so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing. I love Cycorder, ToneFxs, and iBlacklist... best out there right now

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
No, I don't see the need to yet, I have done it, though. There were great apps on the 1.1.x firmware, but now it just seems pointless -- to me.

As of yet, the 2.0.x firmware is buggy, jailbreaking it is not going to help. I'm happy with my official, Apple sealed approval, 3rd party apps.

kloan

SSMoy
Unlocking isn't illegal, nor is Jailbreaking. It's your phone, you can do whatever you want to it.

kyussmondo

jason72780 said:
jailbreaking has nothing to do with using it on another carrier or oversees except for jailbreaking and unlocking are usually done in the same step. Jailbreaking only adds additional fuctionality and programs.
I understand that. Fact is that to unlock you normally have to jailbreak, at least with the methods I have used to unlock. That is the reason I jailbroke. I do not care for customization and/or third party apps really.

Technically it is probably not your phone anymore. The carriers are now subsidizing the cost of the phone, so until your 18 or 24 months are over they pretty much own you and the phone.

Last edited:

WallyWaldo

Potato Lounger
TheMBC said:
No, I don't see the need to yet, I have done it, though. There were great apps on the 1.1.x firmware, but now it just seems pointless -- to me.

As of yet, the 2.0.x firmware is buggy, jailbreaking it is not going to help. I'm happy with my official, Apple sealed approval, 3rd party apps.
Grant it there are not the same number of apps that there were for the 1.1.x firmwares, there is still plenty of apps to make a user happy. Customize is up and running, WinterBoard works great, BossPrefs works and they are coming out with more and more toggle switch additions everyday. There are games, toys, tweaks and plenty of themes for the appearance of you're whole iPhone/iPod touch. I can even get SMS ringtones as well as VIDEO backgrounds for my homescreen. So even though the jailbreak is new there is already tons of stuff.

kyussmondo

WallyWaldo said:
Grant it there are not the same number of apps that there were for the 1.1.x firmwares, there is still plenty of apps to make a user happy. Customize is up and running, WinterBoard works great, BossPrefs works and they are coming out with more and more toggle switch additions everyday. There are games, toys, tweaks and plenty of themes for the appearance of you're whole iPhone/iPod touch. I can even get SMS ringtones as well as VIDEO backgrounds for my homescreen. So even though the jailbreak is new there is already tons of stuff.
That is a huge plus the iPhone has, is its huge community. Which other phones get this much hype and this much development.