The Cracks

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iPulse

Wanna buy me an iPod?
I got a crack spreading from my headphone jack to the silver rim on the front of my screen.

I couldn't find a definitive CRACK thread.

So what shall I do for my white iPhone!

I've had it in a griffin nu form...but yeah..

blazew0n

If it is an obvious crack and it's affecting the durability of the phone, get an exchange. More than likely, it will get worse. As long as the phone shows no physical abuse, they should have no reason not to exchange. Make sure you check out the new or refurb before you leave the store.

daihard

blazew0n said:
If it is an obvious crack and it's affecting the durability of the phone, get an exchange. More than likely, it will get worse. As long as the phone shows no physical abuse, they should have no reason not to exchange. Make sure you check out the new or refurb before you leave the store.
Agreed. If I were you, I'd exchange it. I wouldn't worry too much about refurbs, though. Apple's refurb units are usually pretty solid.

Ed2020

Other people have been reporting similar problems on other forums. I've read one person complaining about it who has never even plugged in his head phones, so it seems they may not be stress fractures as a result of plugging the headphones in or bending of the headphone jack when it is connected to the device.

It's a manufacturing fault so they have no option but to exchange it. I doubt they'd have any problems with doing so anyway.

It has to be said the overall construction quality of the 3G seems very variable between units. My first one was a little iffy (albeit in minor areas). The replacement is perfect... for now...

Ed.

Shameless1

Been around a while
iPulse said:
I got a crack spreading from my headphone jack to the silver rim on the front of my screen.

I couldn't find a definitive CRACK thread.

So what shall I do for my white iPhone!

I've had it in a griffin nu form...but yeah..
Return it ASAP. the crack issue is a known one and the local Apple store will not give you a hard time at all

Shameless1

Shameless1

Been around a while
iPulse said:
Do I return it to ANY Apple store, or do I have to take it back to the Optus retailer that I bought it from?
Any Apple store.

Shameless 1

yinyang

Retired
iPulse said:
Do I return it to ANY Apple store, or do I have to take it back to the Optus retailer that I bought it from?
you can always ring Apple directly and see what they say, which is what Optus will probably tell you.

The only Apple stores are in Sydney right now, with the Chadstone one coming up soon - not many of the resellers stock iPhones, so taking it to them won't help if you're wanting a replacement there and then.

iPulse

Wanna buy me an iPod?
So now the Chadstone store is open, should I take it back?

The cracks are only minor.

However, upon these rumors of the 32gb iPhone...i'm thinking, would there be anyway to ask them to replace my 16gb with a 32gb (if it comes out) and then I'll pay the additional fee for the HD upgrade.

I really wanna jailbreak my iPhone, but I think I might have to wait before I do anything now.

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
I got a crack on my iPhone 3G. I went to the Genius bar last night and they gave me a brand new iPhone 3G. It wasn't even refurbished because they don't have refurbished models yet so it was brand new.

Sadly, my new one's plastic back is too far to the right making a sharp edge on the right of my iPhone 3G. It also makes a little place where dust and other particles can seep through.

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
iPulse said:
So, since they gave you a dodgy new one...can you not get that one replaced?
They'll replace it too. They'll replace your iPhone 3G if it's under warranty (every iPhone 3G comes with a 1-year warranty) if it's out of what Apple calls "Normal Use."

u2ipod2u

sorta funny that after reading this thread, i decided to really check my phone and sure enough, there were three very small cracks around the headphone jack. they were so slight but i decided to go back to the apple store, to at least make apple aware my phone was starting to have this issue. the genius took a look, excused himself to the back (to ask a manager i bet) then gave me a new phone. he did not admit it was a common problem, but did ask where i carried my phone (usually in my front pocket), and how often i used the headphones (not often).

iPulse said:
The cracks are only minor.

However, upon these rumors of the 32gb iPhone...i'm thinking, would there be anyway to ask them to replace my 16gb with a 32gb (if it comes out) and then I'll pay the additional fee for the HD upgrade.

I really wanna jailbreak my iPhone, but I think I might have to wait before I do anything now.
when he said he would replace my phone, i asked for a black one, since i did not want to have to replace my white one every few months. he said that the warranty only allows for replacement of the exact same item. since i had read this thread, i asked if someone with a smaller capacity phone could upgrade and he again said no, you only get back the same item. so i would just return yours, and not worry about the 32gb yet.

iPulse

Wanna buy me an iPod?
Hmm,

Lame, so what should I do...

I'm thinking...

wait till the 32gb one comes out...then go to the Apple store, get it replaced for a BRAND NEW ONE.

That way, I can sell the brand new one on ebay, and then just buy 32gb one on eBay.

Is that a possibility, or will it depend on the at home activation.

I mean, If I get a 32gb, my existing 3G iPhone simcard SHOULD work in it shouldn't it?

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
you're not going tone able to use the 32gb iPhone unless you unlock it. The same goes for the one that someone else buys from you brand new.