Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: MMS in future iPhone OS upgrade?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Junior Lounger

Question MMS in future iPhone OS upgrade?

Is there any truth to the rumor that the iPhone 3G will get MMS capability in a future firmware upgrade?

The lack of MMS and the idiocracy of that "viewmymessage" interface has been discussed to death on other threads, but I didn't see any mention of future support.

Anyway, I saw a rumor that it would come out in 2.0, but I'm pretty sure I have 2.0.1 now so I guess it didn't happen.

If this is posted somewhere else, please point me to it. It didn't come up in a search. Thank you!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:55 PM

Senior Lounger

I don't think it's coming at all, nevertheless any time soon. If it does: it'll be a great surprise, but I won't find much use in it.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:03 PM

The power that be.

if it does it will be by way of third party apps.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 PM

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal

Third party apps cant access the OS to do MMS, and really can't we all move on, it hasnt had MMS for a long time now, send an email, you'll be happier....

8gb iPhone 2G(retired to my closet) 16GB Touch 1G(still get use at the gym) 16GB iPhone 3G (with me everyday)
Old 08-20-2008, 08:31 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmyipod
Third party apps cant access the OS to do MMS, and really can't we all move on, it hasnt had MMS for a long time now, send an email, you'll be happier....
There are a whole slew of reasons on why that doesn't work when you're playing with others and want to RECEIVE picture messages without explaining to all your friends why they have to enter an email address for you, but not anybody with any other phone. BUT, that's been discussed to death.

Regarding moving on...well, you may as well just hold off on replying if it annoys you. You need to welcome a whole new slew of iPhone 3G users who didn't jump on the first version. And we're all still holding on for MMS ...even though there are so many other cool things about the phone that made it worth purchasing anyway.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound like there is much credibility to the rumor. Too bad.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Dim
Pro Lounger

If it happens, it'll probably be Apple's.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" Intel 2.8GHz
Camera: Nikon D40x
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
Old 08-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Senior Lounger

MMS is a feature that some people don't understand why I don't have it. It's supposed to be the "phone that can do anything" but I can't send a picture \=

I think SMS and MMS should leave and we should start using email (which doesn't cost $6,000 per song if anyone saw that article) and I think Apple thinks that too. If so, Apple's the company to do it. What other company could sell a smartphone (well...a device like the iPhone) with these lacking features?

Apple could be starting a different era. Anyway...
Old 08-22-2008, 08:31 AM

????? ???

lol, a different era. it was a moronic decision not to include this in the iphone that's a basic feature with EVERY phone that has cam capabilities. i love my iphone, but it's certainly far from perfect.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3tfury
lol, a different era. it was a moronic decision not to include this in the iphone that's a basic feature with EVERY phone that has cam capabilities. i love my iphone, but it's certainly far from perfect.

Did you expect it to be perfect?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:05 AM

????? ???

nope, and i don't expect any device in MY eyes to be perfect. but a lot of folks think so, which is hilarious.

next question.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:14 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Did you expect it to be perfect?
no but expected it to have a pretty obvious feature that just about every phone has had since what the 90s?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3tfury
nope, and i don't expect any device in MY eyes to be perfect. but a lot of folks think so, which is hilarious.

Good answer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron7114
no but expected it to have a pretty obvious feature that just about every phone has had since what the 90s?
Did you not do any research before you bought? I can understand why people are upset, but it's not like this is not a known limitation of the iPhone. Yes it's a pain I wil agree but there are ways around it.

Last edited by baggss; 08-22-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:40 PM

Pro Lounger

Yes it is the revolutionary phone, yet it still doesn't have full bluetooth or MMS.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Senior Lounger

^ if you mean stereo Bluetooth...yes, otherwise it does have Bluetooth.

@n3tfury lol true.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyussmondo
Yes it is the revolutionary phone, yet it still doesn't have full bluetooth or MMS.
Correct. If those are things you can not live without then don't buy it. Otherwise you get what you get.

I would like to see MMS at some point, but it is not a deal breaker nor that big of a deal to me.

Topic: MMS in future iPhone OS upgrade?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.