Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can I run an ipod and iphone off same itunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 AM

Freshman Lounger

Can I run an ipod and iphone off same itunes?

I have searched about could not find a thread answering the questions I had. Please do no flame me, I am new to iPods and iPhones.

I have recently bought an iPod Classic 80 gb (I am not sure which generation though but it is a week old). I love it and have put all 35 gb worth of music on my pc and it all works faultlessly.
My question is this, i am about to get an iPhone also, although I do not want to store music or video on it just use it as a phone.
Will I be able to run an iPhone and an iPod of the same copy of iTunes?
If not what should I do?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari Boy
I have searched about could not find a thread answering the questions I had. Please do no flame me, I am new to iPods and iPhones.

I have recently bought an iPod Classic 80 gb (I am not sure which generation though but it is a week old). I love it and have put all 35 gb worth of music on my pc and it all works faultlessly.
My question is this, i am about to get an iPhone also, although I do not want to store music or video on it just use it as a phone.
Will I be able to run an iPhone and an iPod of the same copy of iTunes?
If not what should I do?
Yes, you can connect multiple iPods (including iPhones) with one iTunes. Each iPod will automatically have its own profile, so you don't have to worry about getting music and video mixed up on different iPods.

iPhone 3GS (32GB black) / Sennheiser MM200
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) / MacBook (Black, 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM)
Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) / Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2
Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal

Can I at least ask, without it hopefully sound like I am flaming you, but why get the iPhone and not use the beautiful screen to watch a video or something, I mean, you can get any phone in the world and not have video abilites on it. Why spend so much for an iPhone and not use it to it's fullest, especially the iPod portion. IMO it seems a little silly, its like the person who gets the phone and cancels the data plan, one of the main parts of the phone.

I dont know, i say you should put video's and movies and music on it bro, use it to it's fullest, dont cut it short!

8gb iPhone 2G(retired to my closet) 16GB Touch 1G(still get use at the gym) 16GB iPhone 3G (with me everyday)
Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchmyipod
Can I at least ask, without it hopefully sound like I am flaming you, but why get the iPhone and not use the beautiful screen to watch a video or something, I mean, you can get any phone in the world and not have video abilites on it. Why spend so much for an iPhone and not use it to it's fullest, especially the iPod portion. IMO it seems a little silly, its like the person who gets the phone and cancels the data plan, one of the main parts of the phone.
Did you read the OP's post where it said he'd put 35GB worth of music onto his iPod? You could argue that he could manually choose the songs and videos to sync, but a lot of people don't want to be bothered to do that.

Different people use their iPods / iPhones differently. I have a friend who loves her iPhone but still bought an iPod shuffle so she can listen to music while working out.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the input everyone, very helpful, thank you.

I bought the iPod as I want ALL of music in my car, not some or most of it and I have a new car due in two weeks and I have ordered an iPod connection with it so that I should be able to access all of the tracks, playlists etc from the steering wheel and main display.

I feel s a bit wrong admitting this, particularly on this forum, but the reason I am going for an iPhone is that again it will integrate with the new car, bluetooth wise. I should be able to access contacts and texts from the main display on the car.

I do indeed have 35 gb and growing collection of music so that is why I will not use the iPhone for music. I play to leave the iPod in the car the whole time.

Saying all of that, I am loving my iPod and if I realised that it was this good I would have bought one years ago. My phone is a company one and I need full email, calendar and contacts functionality so it sounds as though the iPhone will be right up my street.

All that needs to happen now is that O2 need to get some iPhones in stock on-line, I was told I may have a three or four week wait today....
Old 08-17-2008, 01:59 AM

Senior Lounger

I understand this. I'm getting a 16 gig 3G this week and plan to use it to its fullest, but I also plan to keep using my 80 gig 5th gen iPod (which has close to 70 gigs of music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. on it), especially in the car.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

I leave my ipod in the glove box plugged into my car (have not used the CD player in there forever). I do not want to connect the iphone to the ipod connection as it is located in the glove box and I want to be able to answer the phone easily.

I also have my son's Nano on my account (he is 9).

So I have 3 different items that I sync with 1 itunes.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDACPA
I leave my ipod in the glove box plugged into my car (have not used the CD player in there forever). I do not want to connect the iphone to the ipod connection as it is located in the glove box and I want to be able to answer the phone easily.
If I may ask... do you happen to have a BMW?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:04 PM

Veteran Lounger

This is a good example of Apple's dream scenerio: consumer buys both Classic and iPhone. Nothing wrong with doing that. I have both too. Personally, I have my iPhone set up so that it syncs up with my "Newly added" and "Least recently played" lists. That way I have everything I've added to my library over the last six weeks and everything that I haven't listened to in a long time. It's a very nice subset of my library and includes enough variety to keep me interested. But my primary music listening source is my 160 gig Classic, which contains my entire library. I can totally understand wanting to use the iPhone more as a phone and Internet device than a music player, especially if you have a working bluetooth solution for your car.

And yes, as everyone else has already pointed out, you can use as many iPods/iPhones with your iTunes library as you want. I've currently got four that I synch with it: two iPhones, a Classic and a Nano.

___

Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Pro Lounger

Yes you can. I use different playlists for different iPods and iPhones. Rather than syncing your whole music library sync individual playlists.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

Great, thanks everyone.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the help also
Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Senior Lounger

I always find it funny when people say they need to have their entire music library at once.

I've often thought to myself that I need to be able to listen to Up With People at a moment's notice.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I always find it funny when people say they need to have their entire music library at once.

I've often thought to myself that I need to be able to listen to Up With People at a moment's notice.

I always find it interesting that some people don't get how insulting it is to belittle those who like to bring their entire library with them.

Your habits are not everyone's habits.

___

Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Monkey
I always find it interesting that some people don't get how insulting it is to belittle those who like to bring their entire library with them.

Your habits are not everyone's habits.
My thoughts also!

Topic: Can I run an ipod and iphone off same itunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.