Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Heads up: don't use your iPhone while installing/updating Apps

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Heads up: don't use your iPhone while installing/updating Apps

I learned this the hard way after several Restores and "install as new phone" attempts, on two different 3Gs (I returned the 1st one). While an app is installing or updating, you open a different app, which either freezes up, then goes to the restart screen (the black screen with the white apple), or goes straight to the restart screen- and never comes out of it, forcing you to either Restore or install as a new iPhone. Generally, yes, you can use other apps during installs without seeing this, but when it does this "hard crash", say goodbye to your iPhione for a while. I did some experimenting after realizing this to verify. It *may* be safer to use some apps like Phone and possibly iPod, but then again maybe I just haven't seen a problem with them yet. From now on, I'm not touching my phone when it's installing/updating, just to be safe. Just an FYI...

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:04 PM

The power that be.

thanks for the heads. As a a rule of thumb I just don't use any apps anyways while apps are installing. It's just smoother that way.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

*started a thread

Black 60 GB iPod.
Previously owned the 20 GB photo iPod

Last edited by Boldblend; 08-14-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftdrummer1
thanks for the heads. As a a rule of thumb I just don't use any apps anyways while apps are installing. It's just smoother that way.
Same here. I go downstairs to make myself some fresh tea while waiting for new apps to install.

iPhone 3GS (32GB black) / Sennheiser MM200
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) / MacBook (Black, 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM)
Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) / Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2
Old 08-15-2008, 03:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

Just learned this the hard way. Glad to know I'm the only one this has happened to. And it shouldn't be happening. And this damn phone crashes alot. Not the crash that just happened, but damn. Apple, I paid good money for this phone... thousands in the long run. I know you're not reading this, but telepathically, release the bug update. 2.0 is infested
Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 AM

????? ???

yeah, thanks for that tip. mostly what i find annoying is when i'm trying to install or update apps via the phone and they fail and i have to do it via iTunes. meh.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:18 AM

The power that be.

yeah that really is annoying. Too many times to recall this happened to me. It really sucks when you are excited about an app and can't download it until X hours later when you are at your own computer.

Topic: Heads up: don't use your iPhone while installing/updating Apps

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.