Why must the keyboard suck so much?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Kaitlyn2004

WHY? They have a decent amount of screen real estate...

I have installed many keyboards on my WM6 HTC Touch, and just about all of them beat the iPhone's... and Cootek's TouchPal is just amazing.

Why does the iPhone keyboard have to suck so much?

I am even considering returning it over the keyboard... either so frustrating or so slow to text, enter addresses, etc...

VulnoX

I had an HTC Mogul (PPC-6800) before my iPhone, which had a full size sliding keyboard, and I am about as fast on the iPhone as I was on that, and I was pretty damn fast on that HTC.

I also have larger than average hands as I am a tall guy, and I still have barely any trouble using the keyboard. Any mistakes I make are corrected automatically 9 times out of 10.

So if you are having issues that bad, you either have not given it enough time, as it does have a slight learning curve to get really good, or you are just not made for the keyboard.

But everyone I have had type on my iPhone has found it to be easy to use, accurate, and responsive, especially after the recent 2.0.1 patch.

One phone isn't the best for everyone, otherwise there would only be one phone out there. If you don't like the keyboard, then take it back, but complaining on here when nobody but apple can change it is not going to make you any happier.

VulnoX

daihard said:
To me, even comparing WM with iPhone per se is insane.
Well to be fair, nobody is comparing WM to iPhone here.

Its more a comparison of input systems, which yes, are part of the OS in some way (unless its a hardware keyboard), but thats still not a WM vs iPhone thing.

The sad thing is, and people seem to not take this seriously and instead just want to say the iPhone is better or WM phones are better, when neither is really better.

The iPhone has a better OS, but WM based phones have much more flexibility and overall features. I miss a lot of the things I could do with my Mogul. WMWifiRouter was a fantastic app, I had access to several different full featured GPS apps (real GPS apps, Garmin, TomTom, etc). Users made custom firmware that offered all kinds of extra options, plus made WM a little easier to use.

But, WM still sucked for stability and speed. And that was getting quite annoying, so I got an iPhone, which I love because of its stability, speed, form factor, and other reasons.

Now, if you could combine the things about WM that make it beat the hell out of the iPhone with the parts of the iPhone that make it leaps and bounds better than WM based devices.

THAT, would be a near perfect phone.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
There is nothing stopping the big GPS makers from putting their software on the iPhone but Apple. You can always Jailbreak your phone and do all kinds of cool stuff with it if you feel hemmed in by Apples rules.

As for the keyboard, after 2 weeks I am as good with it as I was with the hardware keyboard on my Palm Treo 700P.

daihard

VulnoX said:
Its more a comparison of input systems, which yes, are part of the OS in some way (unless its a hardware keyboard), but thats still not a WM vs iPhone thing.
It is to me, because the input system is not easily customizable. My requirements for a mobile OS includes the built-in ability to type/view the Japanese language. The iPhone 3G is the first device that meets that requirement. None of the WM devices sold in the U.S. have that option AFAIK.

Besides, the physical keyboards on the WM smartphones are a joke. It may be usable as long as you only type in Roman alphabet letters, but it becomes totally useless as soon as you try to type in Asian languages (that's even if you hacked it to enable Asian language input, that is). That's where virtual keyboards come in handy. The 12-key Japanese input method available in the iPhone 3G is a miracle. That would simply be impossible to implement on a physical QWERTY keyboard.

Last edited:

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
I hate when I'm trying to input text on a website and the keyboard starts lagging and then Safari crashes. It happens everytime I try to post on the TeamXbox forums. It's pathetic how buggy Safari is with the virtual keyboard. I love the virtual keyboard itself. I rather have the virtual keyboard than a physical one. If Apple could fix the constant crashing on Safari when inputting text, the virtual keyboard would be phenomenal.

daihard

Stay Alive 305 said:
I hate when I'm trying to input text on a website and the keyboard starts lagging and then Safari crashes. It happens everytime I try to post on the TeamXbox forums. It's pathetic how buggy Safari is with the virtual keyboard. I love the virtual keyboard itself. I rather have the virtual keyboard than a physical one. If Apple could fix the constant crashing on Safari when inputting text, the virtual keyboard would be phenomenal.
What, are you trying to access an Xbox site from an iPhone? No wonder Safari crashes on you! :)

shart

hi Kaitlyn2004,
I'd suggest giving it about 2 weeks and you will get used to the keyboard. I have an htc for work and felt the same way at first bit my mind changed about 2nd week. iPhone keyboard is much faster for me now. It will learn your most common words. Just try to trust the auto correct. Worst case just take it back. Also my testing was slow but it went away with recent update. Make sure that is installed.

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
I think the iphone's keyboard is great. It learned all my common words and constant vernacular, it spell and grammar checks, even though I wish the grammar checking was a little bit better. The only other keyboard I can think of that's as good is the Sidekick one...but it's not as smart. [Don't shoot me, I haven't been around smartphones too much.]

agent5556

Sometimes when I try to post a different forum sites the screen jumps all over the place and the keyboard lags. The lag is nothing compaired to the constant jumping. It almost makes me sick and disorented.