Mod your favorite headphones/ earphones to work with the 1st Gen phone in 10 minutes! - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Mod your favorite headphones/ earphones to work with the 1st Gen phone in 10 minutes!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 PM

Junior Lounger

Mod your favorite headphones/ earphones to work with the 1st Gen phone in 10 minutes!

This may have been said before, if so...sue me.

So I gotz me a 16GB first gen phone. I love it, but immediately had to run all over town to find a headphone adapter to use my favorite earphones the Future Sonics Atrios. If your a hard core user and audiophile like myself I highly recommend them. They're the best sounding IEM/earphone I've heard yet. They'll run you about $150 though, so be aware of that. I use them on stage too so I've got my money's worth.

Anyway, I couldn't find a headphone adapter that was short enough. They're all like 1" long and I was afraid that I'd damage the headphone jack by running around with the phone in my pocket with this long adapter sticking out of it. I would bend down to pick something up in the warehouse where I work and do some serious damage. I was sad.

So then I examined the plug on the end of the phones. 90 degree molded end made of simple rubber-like plastic. Nothing special. That's my #1 complaint about these phones is they're built for crap for the money. I digress.

So what I did was to take a razor blade and very carefully shave the plastic off around the barrel just above where the plug actually starts. I shaved tinny amounts equally around and around checking the fit as I went. When I was done I sanded the area with some find sand paper to smooth out the marks I had made and then hit it with a little ArmorAll (all I had around for plastics) and now my favorite phones fit my phone perfectly! And I don't have to track down a short iphone adapter. WOOT!

You may be able to do this with your phones too. I'd examine closely and measure to make sure it'll work at all before you do anything or else you might wind up screwing with a perfectly good pair of phones for nothing cause it won't fit anyway.

Good luck.

16GB iPhone *dying*, FutureSonics Atrios, LiveWires Custom IEM's, home studio, lots of old dusty vinyl, 200 GB's on the hard drive, Kef Coda II's on Hafler amps, Event BAS's.

Topic: Mod your favorite headphones/ earphones to work with the 1st Gen phone in 10 minutes!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.