Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can email on iPhone be password protected?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 AM

Junior Lounger

Question Can email on iPhone be password protected?

I'm not comfortable having my email easily accessible to anyone who grabs my phone. I tried removing my password, and all that happened, when I launched email, I was notified the password was incorrect, but was not prompted to put in my password... and all my old mail is there and accessible. Just nothing new showed up in my inbox.

A friend suggested I password protect the phone, but quite frankly, that's a pain. Is there anyway to have the iPhone prompt a user for the email password?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Junior Lounger

As of now there isn't a way to just password protect the mail application.

I know the password protect is a pain, but I would rather input my code each time than have access to all of my personal information easily obtainable...
Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 PM

Locking down the whole device really is the best way to do this, since for most people there's going to be personal data floating around outside of the e-mail application anyway.... Contact info, calendar info, notes, and even your photos. Not to mention info stored in third-party apps.

You can set a delay for the password lock so it doesn't kick in right away. This will decrease the security by a bit, but should still be efficient to ensure that if you leave your iPhone unattended on a desk or lose it somewhere that none of the info on it will be accessible. In fact, another iTunes library won't even talk to your iPhone when it's locked down with a password -- you can only connect it to your "home" iTunes library.

Personally, I never let my iPhone out of my sight except when I'm at home.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

yeah you are better off password protecting your phone... cause if you loose it you don't want people accessing any of your information and most importantly using your phone.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 AM

Junior Lounger

Yea, that's what I thought, but I was hoping I missed something. Perhaps in a later version of the software this can be implemented. I have a "snooper" in my home and I guess I'll just lock the phone down - I set it for 1 hour lock, perhaps I should change it to 15 minutes, since I have the "enemy that lies within..." thing going on.

Thanks for the input and insight!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:57 PM

I doubt that we're going to see it any time soon, as it's not Apple's style to add this level of configurability, although I suppose it's possible it might come to the parental controls that are on the device.

One thing that I would like to see is a way for "force-lock" the device, so that when you know you're putting it down for a while, you can lock it right away, rather than waiting for the timeout to expire. Of course, you can set the timeout to "immediately" but that means it will always require a password right away, which can be inconvenient in most cases.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington
One thing that I would like to see is a way for "force-lock" the device, so that when you know you're putting it down for a while, you can lock it right away, rather than waiting for the timeout to expire.
I would love to see this as well. Unfortunately, my Exchange policies mandate that it locks no later than 1 hour after last usage, so every hour I need to enter the pass code anyways.

Topic: Can email on iPhone be password protected?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.