Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can iPhone/AT&T users access AT&T WiFi for free?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

In the last two weeks I have not been able to use attwifi spots at airports in Indianapolis, Detroit, and Albany or in Starbucks or Panera. The ATT store said I should be able to use them and to call in to get login info. When I called in the lady on the phone acted like I was nuts to even suggest such a thing and refered me to Apple's iPhone support number.

eye-Fone, what login info did you use to connect at Seattle airport? I've tried using my phone number and pword from the att website but no luck.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:27 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineman3067
In the last two weeks I have not been able to use attwifi spots at airports in Indianapolis, Detroit, and Albany or in Starbucks or Panera. The ATT store said I should be able to use them and to call in to get login info. When I called in the lady on the phone acted like I was nuts to even suggest such a thing and refered me to Apple's iPhone support number.

eye-Fone, what login info did you use to connect at Seattle airport? I've tried using my phone number and pword from the att website but no luck.
I would like to know that, too. I've been trying to use the AT&T WiFi hotspots on various locations since some users told me here that they were able to access it. I've been out of luck myself. Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, and McDonald's... none of them have worked for me.

iPhone 3GS (32GB black) / Sennheiser MM200
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) / MacBook (Black, 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM)
Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) / Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2
Old 09-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Senior Lounger

Unless things have changed recently, the only ways you can access an AT&T WiFi hotspot for free are:

1) If you are an existing AT&T DSL Internet subscriber (i.e., AT&T is your home/business ISP);
2) Whoever manages that particular hotspot decides to grant you free access.

Just owning an AT&T-purchased iPhone (and/or just being an AT&T Wireless customer) does not automatically afford you the ability to access AT&T's WiFi hotspots at no additional charge...at least not at this time.

Now if you are an AT&T DSL subscriber and yet you're unable to connect to AT&T WiFi spots...guess a call to customer/tech support would be in order.

Tony
Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM

????? ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepod
Unless things have changed recently, the only ways you can access an AT&T WiFi hotspot for free are:

1) If you are an existing AT&T DSL Internet subscriber (i.e., AT&T is your home/business ISP);
2) Whoever manages that particular hotspot decides to grant you free access.

Just owning an AT&T-purchased iPhone (and/or just being an AT&T Wireless customer) does not automatically afford you the ability to access AT&T's WiFi hotspots at no additional charge...at least not at this time.

Now if you are an AT&T DSL subscriber and yet you're unable to connect to AT&T WiFi spots...guess a call to customer/tech support would be in order.
that's what i thought. sure wish they would though, thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Pro Lounger

Seems like the policy does vary from place to place. I was able to access the AT&T WiFi network in the Philadelphia airport without supplying any login information. Just too bad most other places aren't like that.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:21 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineman3067
From what I remember, I was never prompted for credentials.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-Fone

From what I remember, I was never prompted for credentials.
AT&T may have more lax policies for airports. Like I said above, I was able to connect to AT&T WiFi with my iPhone without giving any login info in the Philadelphia Airport, but I've never been able to do that in any other locations, such as Starbucks, BN's or McD's.

Topic: Can iPhone/AT&T users access AT&T WiFi for free?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.