Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to keep WiFi alive while in sleep mode?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 AM

Pro Lounger

Question How to keep WiFi alive while in sleep mode?

Hi.

I am wondering if there's a way to keep WiFi alive while the iPhone is in sleep mode?

I want to do that because I connect my iPhone to the corporate network via WiFi while I'm at work. That way I get notified whenever new mail comes into my Exchange mailbox. I often spend time away from my desk (i.e. in the server room) so this feature is very helpful.

However, the iPhone switches to the cellular connection whenever it's put to sleep mode. It means the Exchange push won't work, because accessing our Exchange from off-site is prohibited. I can wake the iPhone up to activate WiFi, but then I'd have to remember to do that. It would cancel out the benefit of "push."

So how can I go about that? Any help would be appreciated.

Dai

iPhone 3GS (32GB black) / Sennheiser MM200
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) / MacBook (Black, 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM)
Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) / Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 AM

Insanely Sarcastic

I have a feeling u won't get this "feature."

What u can do, however, is to configure your mailbox to send u a SMS for example when new mail arrives.

Or is there a timer on the phone so wakes up every so often?
Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 AM

Pro Lounger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb-mini
I have a feeling u won't get this "feature."

What u can do, however, is to configure your mailbox to send u a SMS for example when new mail arrives.

Or is there a timer on the phone so wakes up every so often?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I could have Exchange forward the mail to my MobileMe account, but that would be a bit too much. It would be nice if Exchange can send out an SMS, but it doesn't seem to have that option.

I'll keep looking!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:28 AM

Insanely Sarcastic

No, I wasn't suggesting FORWARDING, that would be un-elegant. Yes, a simple TEXT. You Got Mail kinda thing. On my Windows signon, there is always a box telling me how many unread mail I got, this wo even having my email client open, so there gotta be a way.

Post this Q at a Usenet exchange mail forum (or search past post), am sure u will find sthing.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:37 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb-mini
No, I wasn't suggesting FORWARDING, that would be un-elegant. Yes, a simple TEXT. You Got Mail kinda thing. On my Windows signon, there is always a box telling me how many unread mail I got, this wo even having my email client open, so there gotta be a way.

Post this Q at a Usenet exchange mail forum (or search past post), am sure u will find sthing.
Thanks! Yes, I know you were not suggesting mail forwarding. Just that it was the next best I could think about as I had no idea how to have Exchange send SMS. I'll ask around. Usenet... I used to use it all the time. Good old days!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ipod Touch WiFi Connection Loss

This has been driving me insane as well for I download rather large files sometimes and in the middle of doing so the WiFi connection just shuts off. Apparently this is a feature that preserves the battery life of the device.

There is a way to prevent it from doing so, but you will need a jailbroken ipod touch or iphone and have Cydia installed. Once Cydia is up and running you need to get the SBSettings tool.

There is a toggle tool called KeepAwake in Cydia that you can add to your SBSettings tool which keeps your WiFi connection at all times, even in sleep mode is my understanding.

I hope this helped someone, anyone. I know the frustrations, i ahve been dealing with it for over a month now. good luck to you all.

uunio@yahoo.com
jonathan

Topic: How to keep WiFi alive while in sleep mode?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.