Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 3G: Glass not flush, dust under screen

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-23-2008, 04:35 PM

Junior Lounger

3G: Glass not flush, dust under screen

Anyone experience this? On my 3G, there is a very slight gap between the edge of the glass and the case. If you look at the right angle with a flashlight, you can see the inside of the phone, presumable the circuit board. Also, the glass is not flush with the case, and there is some ďgiveĒ there if you press down. This is not very noticeable, and you would have to look for it to find it. But now there is a speck of dust or something in that corner, and by moving the phone around, you can tell itís clearly under the glass. Itís under the black portion, so this spec isnít a biggie. But Iíve only had the phone 3 days. I think itís only a matter of time before other specs get in, and end up in the functional area of the screen. I wonder if apple will replace it- it may be within their QA parameters, who knows.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Veteran Lounger

Take it back. There should be a very tight fit between the glass and the bezel and there shouldn't be dust under the screen.

___

Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have a white 3g and the bezel on the right face is noticebly higher than the left. It it rough to the touch as my thumb slides off the screen. I plan on returning it once the supplies get back to normal. .
Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleck
I have a white 3g and the bezel on the right face is noticebly higher than the left. It it rough to the touch as my thumb slides off the screen. I plan on returning it once the supplies get back to normal. .

Don't wait around. Take it in now.

___

Old 07-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Junior Lounger

why would'nt you take it back immediately & at least put ATT/Apple on notice since it is brand new. I would'nt wait.

2 16gb Black Iphones
1 80gb Ipod Classic
Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Junior Lounger

I so wouldn't wait. A product like this should be perfect.

iPhone 3G.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:58 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:

I have the same issue, as well as the case on the side being a little out of wack. Now that I look at it in a dark room, I can see a slight bit of light leakage. Hmmm.

Last edited by ExtremeSIMS; 07-26-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

I was planning on taking it to Apple store eventually, but with iPhones out of stock, I would imagine I would be SOL with no phones to exchange it for.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:23 PM

SSMoy

I'd say don't bother getting another one until Apple does something about it. You're pretty much guaranteed the one you get will have the same problem.

I got a replacement today, and sure enough light leakage, uneven glass, sharp edges on corners, etc.. I'm just going to wait a month or so until they get new stock before I try to exchange it again.

Sources: iPhone 4, 80GB Classic, 4GB 1st gen Nano
Earphones: ADDIEMs, Westone UM3X
Old 07-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

sorry to hear others have similiar build quality problems. Although I like the 3g and gps of the new iPhones, I must admit my 1st GEN is nicer looking IMHO.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 PM

Junior Lounger

the stores have separate stock for phones with issues. No one should really have to wait to get a replacement.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Junior Lounger

They call them service units. I went to Fair Oaks and most displays were smooth and level; ditto Tysons. I'll have to go back when they get more service units. The Apple guys strongly urged me to return ASAP before more issues arise.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:40 PM

The power that be.

weird you guys are having build quality issues. My 3g looks just fine.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

thanks for that info! I'll swing by this week.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:48 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
I have the same phone...and the same problem.

My 1st Gen iPhone also had a gap between the bevel and the screen...I can stick my nail in it, all the way around...

Topic: 3G: Glass not flush, dust under screen

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.