$299 + $175 ETF = $475 No Contract iPhone 3G?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Ozmotear

I already have an AT&T family plan with 4 lines attached to it. (When I say "I have a family plan" I really mean its my Fathers plan that I have a line on. So when I sign up for a contract I will technically be a "new" customer.)

I'm considering Picking up a black 3G paying the Early Termination Fee and then adding a $30 a month Data plan to my line on the Family plan.

At&t said they are going to offer an unsubsidized price later on for around $600, but at $475 this is a much cheaper option.

Does anyone see any possible flaws with my plan?
And are any ill effects on my credit when I terminate my contract early?

anypats

I don't know if they will allow you to just cancel a line, pay the ETF and then add a new line to the account again. You will probably have to sign up for a new line of service rather than having it on the family plan. I could be wrong but otherwise I think everyone would be doing just what you are thinking. Check with AT&T and see what they say.

Terminating contracts, as far as I know, do not have any ill effects on credit scores.

CocheseUGA

Website
www.associatedcontent.com
Ozmotear said:
I already have an AT&T family plan with 4 lines attached to it. (When I say "I have a family plan" I really mean its my Fathers plan that I have a line on. So when I sign up for a contract I will technically be a "new" customer.)

I'm considering Picking up a black 3G paying the Early Termination Fee and then adding a $30 a month Data plan to my line on the Family plan.

At&t said they are going to offer an unsubsidized price later on for around $600, but at $475 this is a much cheaper option.

Does anyone see any possible flaws with my plan?
And are any ill effects on my credit when I terminate my contract early?

You'll have to keep your service on that line for a month for that to work, and pay all the activation fees and taxes.

It'll be well over $500.

Ozmotear

CocheseUGA said:
You'll have to keep your service on that line for a month for that to work, and pay all the activation fees and taxes.

It'll be well over $500.
Hmm, I forgot about the first months fee. So if I understand right the total would work out to...

$299 (iPhone)
$18 (+ tax)
$36 (Activation Fee)
$70 (apprx. 1st Month Service)
$175 (Termination Fee)

~ $598 ...hmm. Not as nice as I had thought. :(

updated - this is still cheaper than the $699 AT&T wants to charge for the "no-commitment version"
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/01/atandt-announces-iphone-3g-pricing-plans/

Last edited:

restless nomad

i dont know if this information will help you but here is a run down of my day.

i went to the apple store yesterday, friday, and the huge lines outside scared me off so i kept on walking. i went back today and after a 20 min wait i got my 16 black.

my family have 5 lines with ATT, 3 of which are upgrade eligible. my number is not.
so what i had to do was buy the 3g iphone using my dads line which was upgrade eligible meaning i could get the 16gb for $299, hench the sim card that came with the iphone was his number. then immediately i drove to ATT and had them re-set my number onto the iphone, meaning they had to assign my number to a new simcar, insert that into the iphone, and the simcard that the iphone came with (my dads number) was now my dads new simcard, so i give that to him. ATT did not charge for this.

so if any of your 4 lines with ATT are upgrade eligible, do what i did and then have ATT switch your number back on to the iphone the same day.

good luck.