Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPhone Touch Screen acting strange

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Junior Lounger

iPhone Touch Screen acting strange

Hello everyone,

I own a 8GB iPhone and have this very weird thing with the iPhone.

Very rarely, when I use the touch screen, I click on one thing on the screen, but something else gets selected.

This is not supposed to happen, but sometimes instead of clicking what I have chosen, the iPhone clicks on something else random.

My friend told me it happens because there might be some part of my skin touching the screen, but today it happened and there was nothing touching the screen except for my thumb which I use to click on stuff.

Is this a common issue with the iPhone?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:55 PM

Reclined Lounger

I've heard of it before but I don't believe it's a particularly common problem.

Try doing a restore and if that doesn't work I'd return it under warranty.

Ed.

20GB 3G iPod, 16GB iPod Touch, 16GB iPhone.

A user needs the Admin password like nitroglycerin needs a good shake.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:19 PM

Junior Lounger

I work with touch screens a lot and while I'm sure there are numerous differences the two most common causes that I encounter are either dirty screens - stop using iPhone while munching a kebab! or in a few cases it can be caused by pressure being exerted on the screen from the housing keeping it in place if it has been secured to tightly - in which case you'd need to take it back to Apple I guess.

As I said don't know how relevant these are to the iPhone but they may help.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Pro Lounger

Neither would be relevant because it is not a "touch screen" in the traditional sense.

The iPhone uses capacitive touch sensing technology.

It senses the electric field of a finger close to a certain part of the screen, and then acts on it.

This is not a pressure issue, as the actual touch doesn't matter (its glass after all, not plastic!) but the electric field of your finger does, and thats what it measures only VERY close to the LCD itself, so just the glass and a tiny bit extra room.

Also dirt wouldn't affect it because, again, this is not about touch, but how close your finger gets to the capacitive sensor, and unless its a few millimeters of dirt or grime (YUCK!) then it isn't gonna be any hassle.

Last edited by PG4G; 06-02-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 PM

The power that be.

hitender, based on how responsive the iPhone is and what PSG4 just said, I would say that you should try using your index funger rather than your thumb. Other than for typing, I have never seen or heard of someone using their thumb to select functions on the iPhone. Maybe your thumb is too large and is pressing multiple sensor regions.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftdrummer1
hitender, based on how responsive the iPhone is and what PSG4 just said, I would say that you should try using your index funger rather than your thumb. Other than for typing, I have never seen or heard of someone using their thumb to select functions on the iPhone. Maybe your thumb is too large and is pressing multiple sensor regions.

I use my thumb all the time when I am only working the phone with one hand. Never had a problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Senior Lounger

Agreed with CeeTee...it IS a phone after all, I should be able to use it with my thumb for practical use...
I use my thumb all the time.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Junior Lounger

I've used another iPhone of a friend's, and it too does have the same kind of fault. Obviously it's a minor glitch in the iPhone.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Yesterday I was using the iPhone and the screen acted weird again. I would click a particular number but the iPhone would click a random number.

Then when I would try to hit end call, it would click end call but the call would not end.

Later I cleaned the screen with my shirt and it started working perfectly again. Weird part is my friend's iPhone which I have with me right now does the same random clicking.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Junior Lounger

I've gotten the same thing occaisionally. It could be the dirty screen. Does yours happen all the time or is it just once in a while? I think it mainly happens when I'm using my thumb. Could it be just a larger surface area and the touch screen is confused as to which point it should select combined with a dirty screen?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Junior Lounger

Yup happens once in a while and I use my thumb a lot for the iPhone.

Did not happen today.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 AM

Freshman Lounger

I am a Apple Worker and i know everything there is to know about the Iphone, i am the one that assembled many iphones and maybe yours...but anyways, u have a Digitizer Screen problem, which is when the iphone experiences some kind of knock damage to the screen that could happen many different ways, but the only thing u can do is replace the Digitizer (the screen its self), you can get u an after market one off of ebay for 8 bucks and make sure u get the one that comes with the disassemble items with it so u could do it yourself and they should give u instruction on how to replace it , or you could go to youtube and search how to replace screen and follow the steps but be careful not to damage any wiring.

If you all need any more assistance please email me at [email]bigboss_mo2004@yahoo. but if you are scared you might damage it, you could send it to me and i will replace it for with a warranty on it, if you would like, but please don't think I am a Scam or anything, I work with Apple, i have over 100s of IPhones and i really don't need anymore.

Thanks,
Dale Hoffman

Topic: iPhone Touch Screen acting strange

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.