Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

View Poll Results: Will the new CA law deter you from driving with Apple's buds?
Yes 3 60.00%
No 1 20.00%
Maybe 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Topic: iphone earbud use: a violation of law?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-17-2008, 04:42 AM

The power that be.

iphone earbud use: a violation of law?

The new mandatory hands free driving law that will go into effect July 1 prohibits the use of one hand to talk on a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle in California. This has some wondering how Apple's hugely popular iphone will play into the equation, specifically while driving with Apple's factory ear buds and similar accessories.

Since the factory buds contain an in-line mic, the concern is that California Highway Patrol officers will undoubtedly confuse the iphone's ear buds with normal portable music player buds, despite its dual use as a hands free device. In California, it is against the law to drive while wearing headsets of earplugs.

My concern is that a haughty officer would interpret the use of iphone ear buds as he / she sees fit, doling out tickets unfairly due to misinformation, inaccurately placing the earbuds in the headphones-for-music designation.

It is tricky, because technically using the factory earbuds to talk on the phone is in full compliance with the law.

Your thoughts?

Every signature I've ever had has been modified within days. This is all that's left.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:42 PM

Reclined Lounger

I'm almost pretty sure that in California it is legal to drive with 1 earbud in so the iPhones headphones should be ok
Old 05-17-2008, 09:46 PM

The power that be.

ya actually it is. I usually drive with both in cause its higher volume. Also I don't like having the cord dangling around.

Every signature I've ever had has been modified within days. This is all that's left.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:34 PM

Veteran Lounger

Well I don't live in CA but it is also illegal to drive with headphones/earbuds here in UT (I think that is the case with most states). I think that if you were using the iPhone and using one of the earbuds you would probably be okay (I don't think you can legally be listening to music though). The best option is to get a Bluetooth set for use in the car. There are even ones that just clip to your visor.

The best thing for everyone would be to contact the Highway Patrol in their state and ask what the law states. That way there is no confusion. Even if it is legal to have one bud in your ear my guess is that it is illegal to have music on even through just one ear. Check your local and state laws.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yes!

I only know that this answer is "yes" because I just received at $178 ticket for this!! I was so bummed. The other day, while I thought I was being a law abiding citizen when I was pulled over. The officer asked, "Do you know why I pulled you over?", I replied honestly, "No". The officer informed me that it is illegal to drive with two earbuds. In response, I told him that I thought it was a hands free device and I was having a conversation. The officer replied that he was glad that I was attempting to use my cell phone safely, then turned around and wrote me a ticket for the use of two earbuds. I was using the factory headset, I assumed it was legal. I literally missed the "fine print", in the tiny booklet that comes with each iphone, that states that the headset may be illegal in some states….
Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 AM

Nice necro-bump... Anyway, the officer didn't pull you over for using a headset. You can use a headset (wired or wireless) with a phone in a car legally. What you can't do is drive around with two earbuds in your ears just as you can't drive around with headphones on. You could have been listening to a 1989 Sony cassette Walkman and you still would have received a ticket for having both headphones on. When using the iPhone and Apple's earbuds, simply take the left or right earbud out of your ears (take out whichever one is not attached to the microphone line). You don't need both earbuds in to use Apple's as a wired headset. For all the cop knew, you could have been blasting Slayer in your earbuds and been completely drowned out of the rest of the world. Put only one earbud in and you will be fine. Better yet, don't even bother talking on the phone and driving at the same time. No matter what equipment you use to make it a safe experience, it will never be as safe as pulling over (not on the highway, use your brain) to answer a call or just waiting until you stop the car all together. Unless it is a dire emergency, things can wait.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: iphone earbud use: a violation of law?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.