Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Average Deposit for AT&T

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 PM

Senior Lounger

Average Deposit for AT&T

I may consider paying the ETF on my T-Mobile contract if that rumored 3G phone is coming out soon. I do wonder what if any contract deposits I would have to put down up front in case the credit check comes back lame. I've heard of up to $500 deposits is that B.S.?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal

Always practice good credit, and that i sno BS, I had a friend who had to pay $300, but declined...

My rating is stellar, so I had no deposit, but my buddy from the example his credit is bad, like 500 bad, something to that tune....

Get a razor

8gb iPhone 2G(retired to my closet) 16GB Touch 1G(still get use at the gym) 16GB iPhone 3G (with me everyday)
Old 05-01-2008, 07:01 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gonzo
I may consider paying the ETF on my T-Mobile contract if that rumored 3G phone is coming out soon. I do wonder what if any contract deposits I would have to put down up front in case the credit check comes back lame. I've heard of up to $500 deposits is that B.S.?
My credit really isn't that bad. I'm on T-Mobile with no deposit. No deposit with Dish network, I don't think it'll be an issue, but if it is I'd rather not pay $500 plus the phone plus the $200 ETF from T-Mobile. I always get a little paranoid when it comes to dealing with a new company.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:47 PM

If you fail the credit check why would you want to put a deposit down? If you do that you end up with a two year contract, which is dumb. I bought my phone at the Apple Store, activated it on iTunes and as soon as I failed I activated as a goPhone, with no contract whatsoever. I can get a new phone whenever I want, and I owe ATT nothing.

160GB AppleTV, 8GB iPhone, 160GB iPod Classic, 80GB iPod, Shure E500PTH, Alpine DVA-9861, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" Black MacBook
Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideIrish
If you fail the credit check why would you want to put a deposit down? If you do that you end up with a two year contract, which is dumb. I bought my phone at the Apple Store, activated it on iTunes and as soon as I failed I activated as a goPhone, with no contract whatsoever. I can get a new phone whenever I want, and I owe ATT nothing.
A few months ago I was in an AT&T store with an iPhone sitting on the counter and my debit card in hand when they told me I needed a $400 deposit. WTF, I am paying full price for the phone and have been approved by other carriers no problem. Nobody mentioned the gophone option and I sure as hell wasn't paying the deposit.

Now I think I will just wait for the 2nd gen iPhone and go with gophone if I get refused again. One of the rumors is that the next iPhone will be subsidised with a contract, if that is the case and I get refused again I will be kind of bummed.

iPhone 4s and various old iPhones and iPods
Old 05-11-2008, 02:48 PM

Why would anyone get ATT to activate it, when you can do it over iTunes? There you either pass the credit check, and they activate; or you fail it, and they offer you a goPhone plan. No talking to anyone, or deposits needed, and I can get the 3G whenever I want to, and ATT can't say a thing.

I have never understood the two year contract thing, or have to give the phone company lots of money for the privilege of giving them more money.

160GB AppleTV, 8GB iPhone, 160GB iPod Classic, 80GB iPod, Shure E500PTH, Alpine DVA-9861, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" Black MacBook
Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideIrish
Why would anyone get ATT to activate it, when you can do it over iTunes? There you either pass the credit check, and they activate; or you fail it, and they offer you a goPhone plan. No talking to anyone, or deposits needed, and I can get the 3G whenever I want to, and ATT can't say a thing.

I have never understood the two year contract thing, or have to give the phone company lots of money for the privilege of giving them more money.
The A-Hole in the ATT store said I had to activate it there.

iPhone 4s and various old iPhones and iPods
Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face iphone 3g

Is it true you can get an IPhone without the contract somehow?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideIrish View Post

I want an IPhone, moreso i want the new $99.00 phone. I'm new to att so how would I go about doing it the way you're saying? I tried to get one online and it said i was not approved and it showed things about a gophone but im confused if that meant i could get it prepaid. i never had a prepaid phone either so i dont know how that works.
So I just go to itunes.com? and try to buy one there?
Or what should I do now that i already tried online?..
The customer service person on line said that i need to call some 1800 number and they will tell me what my deposit will be...but ive read horror stories online about it being even up to 750..I don't want my credit ran again and ruin it more. YES I have a job I ran the numbers for the monthly bill and can easily afford that but Im also a student [student loans]and was in a car accident [AS A PASSENGER] and that screwed me up! stupid insurance company took over a year to pay my hospital bills!
What should I do?

Topic: Average Deposit for AT&T

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.