Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPhone - can we play music through car stereo aux? Or in home stereo receiver??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-05-2008, 04:06 PM

up_all_night

iPhone - can we play music through car stereo aux? Or in home stereo receiver??

Like the title i noticed on my ipod touch i could play music in a car stereo through a normal aux jack, but with my friends iphone he couldnt.

Is there some kind of special wire needed to play music in your car stereo with a iphone (or is it not possible)?

How about wanting to play music off a home stereo receiver is that possible? These are the only things stopping me from going with to the ipohone over the touch i already have

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Senior Lounger

Well, he may have needed a headphone adapter for the aux line to completely plug into the recessed headphone jack. I've used an iphone in my car both through the dock port and the headphone port (via an adapter) and it's worked fine for me.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumb Monkey
I've used an iphone in my car both through the dock port and the headphone port (via an adapter) and it's worked fine for me.
I've read that generally the audio out is disabled via the dock connector on iPhones. How were you able to manage playing audio out of the dock port on your car? I am highly interested in this as I would prefer bypassing the amplifier on my iPhone. I have been using the Monster ultra-low profile iPod charger w/ lineout on my iPod 30GB video and hope to be able to use that with the iPhone when I purchase it. I am curious to find out if my adapter would work.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Senior Lounger

I did nothing different than if I plugged my ipod video in. I get the nag about how the accessory isn't made to be compatible with the iphone and asking if I want to enable airplane mode or not. Either way, audio plays through just fine. My ringtone plays through my speakers, too, so I don't have to worry about loud music drowning out my phone ringer.

I forget the brand of charger I am using (either Griffin or Belkin), but like yours, it plugs into the cigarette lighter and has an aux input on it. Then the cable runs from the charger to my iphone's dock connector. The aux port is on the charger, though, not the dock connector. Shouldn't make a difference, though.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumb Monkey
I did nothing different than if I plugged my ipod video in. I get the nag about how the accessory isn't made to be compatible with the iphone and asking if I want to enable airplane mode or not. Either way, audio plays through just fine. My ringtone plays through my speakers, too, so I don't have to worry about loud music drowning out my phone ringer.

I forget the brand of charger I am using (either Griffin or Belkin), but like yours, it plugs into the cigarette lighter and has an aux input on it. Then the cable runs from the charger to my iphone's dock connector. The aux port is on the charger, though, not the dock connector. Shouldn't make a difference, though.
Nice! Thanks. I don't care about the nag so long as I can get it working via the line out (dock connector).
Old 02-06-2008, 04:33 PM

up_all_night

Ok im lost what is needed to play music on your iphone through a car stereo auxillary jack? We need a dock or charger?? :-/

Also what is needed to play a iphone out of a home stereo receiver is it possible?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RompaRoom
Ok im lost what is needed to play music on your iphone through a car stereo auxillary jack? We need a dock or charger?? :-/
At least you need a cable like this- one end goes into your iPhone's headphone jack, the other into your car's aux jack.
If you want to do better, you can get something like this, which will connect to your iPhone's dock port and
plug into your car's cigarette lighter / power socket and aux jack. It'll pipe the iPhone's audio into the car and charge the iPhone at the same time.

Quote:
Also what is needed to play a iphone out of a home stereo receiver is it possible?
Sure. All you really need is a cable like this- the headphone plug end into your iPhone's headphone jack, the RCA plugs end into a spare input on your stereo.

You can also plug the headphone plug end into the "Line Out" port on the back of the dock that comes with your iPhone.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 AM

Senior Lounger

rompa, i use a griffin autopilot with my iphone (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot). it's not rated to work with the iphone, so each time i connect my phone to it, i do have to acknowledge the message. the kit comes with a aux cable (which is just a male to male 35mm audio jack). one end goes into the aux port of your car, the other end plugs into the autopilot. all the data comes out of the 30 pin connector. the bonus is that if your cig adapter/power adapter in your car is within reach, you can pause/play, forward or rewind your music.

my car doesn't have aux port, so i coupled it with a cassette adapter. it works like a charm.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsolis
rompa, i use a griffin autopilot with my iphone (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot). it's not rated to work with the iphone, so each time i connect my phone to it, i do have to acknowledge the message. the kit comes with a aux cable (which is just a male to male 35mm audio jack). one end goes into the aux port of your car, the other end plugs into the autopilot. all the data comes out of the 30 pin connector. the bonus is that if your cig adapter/power adapter in your car is within reach, you can pause/play, forward or rewind your music.

my car doesn't have aux port, so i coupled it with a cassette adapter. it works like a charm.
Do you connect your cassette adapter to your iPhone's headphone port or to the aux connection in the Griffin? If you plug it into the Griffin, are you still able to make/receive calls?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

You can make/reviece calls unless you put the phone in airplane mode (which disables all wireless functions) But by doing this it stops the annoying interference that comes from the cellular signals.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Senior Lounger

once my phone is connected to the autopilot, the only way to talk to people is to use the included headphones or a Bluetooth headset.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Junior Lounger

I guess I need further clarification...if one connects the Autopilot to their iPhone, AND connects the auxiliary audio cable to the Autopilot (NOT the iPhone's headjack), are you saying that calls can be made, but only via headphones or bluetooth headsets? If so, that is perfectly fine by me.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Senior Lounger

according to this: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...r-integration/ you can also use the speakerphone.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:18 PM

Yes, you can use the speakerphone normally, but it will not pass the speakerphone output to your actual car stereo through the Dock Connector. This is the audio-out portion that is disabled via the Dock Connector at this point.

The solutions outlined in the article above are probably the best for a basic budget-type solution. I do something similar, although I don't yet have the Contour SurfaceSound -- I just use a bluetooth headset instead.

I'm also using the Griffin AutoPilot, which isn't certified for the iPhone mostly due to logistical issues rather than technical ones. I have yet to hear any iPhone interference with the Griffin, so the only real issue is acknowledging the "Not Made to Work with iPhone" message that comes up when I connect it, but I just say "No" to the Airplane Mode request and leave the phone mode enabled.

On the other hand, Belkin makes a similar FM transmitter cable that is iPhone-certified, so it does not present the annoying message on the iPhone screen. In testing, though, we found the Griffin SmartScan feature to be superior to Belkin's however, and both work equally well in terms of filtering out any interference, so the only real difference is that the Belkin unit happens to be certified for the iPhone and therefore contain the necessary authentication chip to disable the compatibility message.

The best upshot of all of this is that you can be listening to music through the iPhone, and when a call comes in, the music is automatically paused and you can answer the call with your bluetooth headset. When the call is hung up, the music automatically comes back, picking up where it left off.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Junior Lounger

Thanks for all the info. So adapters that are not iPhone-certified can still play music via the dock connector without being in Airplane Mode? If not, what exactly is the difference between the Griffin Autopilot and say the Monster ultra-low profile iPod charger referenced in the 3rd post above?

I keep reading about adapters that are qualified as not being able to pass sound but still allowing charging via the dock connection. But then there is the Griffin Autopilot which is NOT iPhone-certified that still passes sound. What's the difference technically that prevents some adapters from passing sound?

Topic: iPhone - can we play music through car stereo aux? Or in home stereo receiver??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.