Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can't transfer music/shows to new iPhone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Can't transfer music/shows to new iPhone

Okay, surely I'm not seeing something that is very obvious here.

First off, I've had several iPods and have been working with iTunes for several years now.

Last night, I activated my new iPhone, and all is well. Windows restarted after updating to the latest version of iTunes (which I did when I thought that might be the cause of my problem). iPod has been named, it docks just fine... It just won't let me transfer any music to it.

Songs I have ripped myself? No go. Songs I purchased previously from the iTunes store? No go. TV shows purchased from iTunes? Nuh uh. When I drag the music over the iPhone, the "can't do that" ghostbusters icon is there, and it won't let me do it.

I've updated to the latest version of software on both the iPhone, and iTunes.

As an experiment, I went into the device settings, turned on the 'Sync Music' option under Music, and had it sync only a single selected playlist. It proceeded to do that just fine.

So what do I have to do to move my music and a few TV shows over to my iPhone? They move to my iPod classic and iPod video just fine, so what's up with all this?

Many thanks,
Glen

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM

The power that be.

currently, iPhone does not support drag and drop like the iPods do. You need to make a playlist and sync with the iPhone. That is the only way.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:00 AM

Freshman Lounger

See what I mean? It was a dumb question. :-)

Okay, synching it will be. Thanks for the heads up. Where exactly did I miss this little nugget in the documentation?

Thanks,
Glen
Old 01-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Junior Lounger

What documentation I think it was arrogance on apple's part not to include a manual of sorts. I struggled for a week or so until I realised that you simply just sync playlists. I even started maintaining two iTunes libraries!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:30 PM

The power that be.

ya, well I guess they figure the iPhones intuitive design, combined with a slew of online resources would be sufficient. And they are cortect
Old 01-13-2008, 03:26 PM

Junior Lounger

It's easy to use the phone, but sync'ing and use with iTunes could do with a bit more documentation IMO
Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 PM

Junior Lounger

Interesting. I do it differently than all of you.

I select "File, then "Add folder to library" of the music folders I want to show up in iTunes. And they are automatically checked when added along with "automatically sync checked music". And then I just sync manually.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

cant transfer music to new macbook from iphone

this may be a silly question and i had to discover the creation of playlists to transfer music to my iphone, but i just bought a new ibook and wanted to transfer my photos and the two playlists i put on my iphone back to my macbook, but when i tried everything in both playlists is "grayed" out and basically untouchable...do i have to buy one of those "backup" programs to get these playlists onto my macbook? i may be a dunce, but i thought i'd ask....thanks in advance if you can set me straight!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:16 AM

Senior Lounger

with itunes 7.6, can't you "manually manage your music and videos"? doesn't this allow you to drag and drop the media you want?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face This has RIAA/Microsoft written all over it

After using the iPhone 3G in all it's glorious simplicity over the last 3 days, i can only conclude that the formerly basic function of moving music to the device was taken over by Microsoft in partnership with the RIAA.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:37 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have the new iPhone 3G and I manually manage my music through iTunes 7.7 and can drag and drop ripped mp3's and iTunes purchases fine.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:16 PM

Senior Lounger

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotDesign
After using the iPhone 3G in all it's glorious simplicity over the last 3 days, i can only conclude that the formerly basic function of moving music to the device was taken over by Microsoft in partnership with the RIAA.
Huh? How so? I have no problem syncing mp3's from AllofMp3.com, what.cd, and waffles.fm, and Amazon to the phone.

AFAIK, the 3G iPhone doesn't care where you buy your music from.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

The Fix

Hey Everyone,

All you need to do is go to your music library and under the edit button on the top tool bar select "select all" then click "copy".

Then go to your Iphone music library under the "devices" section in ITUNES and click on the MUSIC folder, once your in this folder select "paste" under the edit menu.

your music will then start to transfer.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

My iPhone 3GS is also failed in getting musics from itunes 10. The device is recognized but the music list of the phone is not shown up. Can anyone help me pls...

Topic: Can't transfer music/shows to new iPhone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.