Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Should I Buy My iPhone from AT&T or The Apple Store?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-20-2007, 01:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

Should I Buy My iPhone from AT&T or The Apple Store?

I'm planning to snag an iPhone in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone have any feedback on whther buying an iPhone through the online Apple Store has any advantages over buying one at an AT&T store?

Also, anyone know about any iPhone related offers the Apple Store plans for their Black Friday sale?

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM

geeky girl

there is no difference in warranty, pricing, features, etc. whether you buy your iphone through the online apple store or at an at&t store. if anything, depending on whom you encounter at the at&t store, there may be an "attempt" to sell you a different phone instead (one where at&t does not give a cut of your monthly bill to apple, perhaps) if you go to get one in person.

if there's something wrong with your iphone, your only option is to work directly with apple for repair or replacement. it makes no difference to them where you bought it - they will be able to see if its eligible for warranty service in the future in their systems regardless of where you bought it. both at&t have a 14-day return policy on the iphone, with a 10% re-stocking fee if you return it after it's been opened.

i seriously doubt apple will offer any discounts on the iphone itself on black friday. but some will probably be offered on some iphone accessories. but we won't know for sure until black friday when their sale pricing is released.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

I was just coming to ask this, so thanks for asking & the response. Do you know if At&t sells the phone with all it's updates already? I prefer purchasing one with them since we have a store locally, but the kid who helped me was a bit clueless even though he tried to cover it up.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:42 AM

Junior Lounger

I prefer the apple store for the experience. These guys know their products and are really enthusiastic
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Senior Lounger

Because there really is no difference where you purchase it I would get it at the Apple store.

I have had Cingular/AT&T for years and really dont like their stores, its like a revolving door with their employees (not that the Apple store isnt), but there is just a much better atmosphere (and lots more toys to play with).
Old 11-26-2007, 02:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

buy it from the apple store

5 reasons why

1. The Att stroes track "EMEI" Numbers....that means if somthings happens to the phone you get a replacement from apple Att will no longer have the record.

2. It's much easier to deal with Apple in regards to problems.

3. Apple Tech can actually show you how to snyc Outlook emails
using VPN username and Passwords

4.att is very limited on accessories

5. this should help you out http://www.iphoneware.com/shopping/catalog/
Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

I bought my iPhone from an Apple Store and would highly recommend buying from the store. I went in this morning for a "one on one" study session. Very helpful. And I am going back next week for another session. Although I have only had my iPhone a week, I feel that I will always be able to go back to the Apple Store and ask any questions I might have. Plus, it is a fun place to visit!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Nose Picker

This is an old topic...but I figured I'd make an educated reply to ddig's post:

1.) It's "IMEI". Also, AT&T stores make record of it when it is activated via iTunes. If you get a replacement phone...new IMEI...new activation...new record. Maybe I missed what you meant.

2.) AT&T handles network and Visual Voicemail...Apple handles hardware and software. That's what depends on who helps you. They aren't interchangeable, no matter where you buy your device.

3.) Apple does have the Genius Bar that are very eager to help...they can be used even if you bought your iPhone from AT&T.

4.) Yes, they are limited, but that doesn't stop you from shopping the web. It's what I did...SenaCases.com

5.) This will help you out: http://www.google.com

Have fun with the iPhone...no matter where you buy it.

I went into the Apple store with all intentions of buying the phone. Then I had my reservations...I had a BlackBerry Pearl 8100. IMO, one of the best all around phones on the market. I was inquiring about features that I liked of the BB and wanted the iPhone to have also. One of these was push-email...the Apple store employee says to me..."What's that" and I proceed to tell him about the feature. He said "well, I don't really know..." and simply walked away.

Now, usually when I walk into the Apple store, the associates are jumping at me with help with everything I look at. This was simply a bad experience, and I ended up getting it anyways...

P.S. Great decision on my part. Don't wait...frankly get to which ever store is closest to you, so you can get an iPhone faster!

iPhone 8Gb (AT&T) Stolen
Ultimate Buds Etymotic ER-6i iPhone earbuds Lost
BlackBerry Pearl 8100 (T-Mobile) Sold
5.5G 30Gb White iPod
Sold
Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

what if I already have an AT&T account?

Does anyone know, if I already HAVE an AT&T account, do I HAVE to buy the iPhone through the AT&T store in order to keep my family plan and same phone number?
Otherwise, I'd prefer to buy it at the Apple Store, but I don't know if they can transfer the service.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

You activate the phone yourself on your computer.

If you go to Apple and buy it or if you go to AT&T and buy it, it's the same thing. Fork over the money and they hand you a box with a shiny new iPhone in it. Go home and set it up.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM

Junior Lounger

I just bought a iPhone 8GB refurb for $250 at the AT&T store.

Topic: Should I Buy My iPhone from AT&T or The Apple Store?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.