Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can't hear my iphone ring or voice mail or anything phone call

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-16-2007, 03:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face Can't hear my iphone ring or voice mail or anything phone call

I have all of the settings turned up. Even with Speaker on, I cannot hear. I never answer my iphone - because I can never hear it. Never had this problem with other mobile phones. It is the worst - anyone else having this problem? What can be done about it? I don't want to have to spend the rest of my life wearing a blue tooth ear piece. Ugly! Thanks for your Help!
This problem is such that I want to return my phone - and get a good old-fashioned blackberry in order to be able to communicate with my clients. Any ideas for me?
Thank you, thank you!
j

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

you do know there is a silent switch , right?

above the volume botton
Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 AM

Reclined Lounger

Yeah the volume is pretty low. I can hear some sounds such as when an email comes in and thats only when I'm in the house and it's quiet in there.

I have even tried setting the alarm clock to see if it would wake me up. It did but mostly it was the vibration on my table.

Hopefully an update will fix this.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Block Rockin Beats

the only problem i had with low volume was before i removed the screen protector that was on there from apple. since it covered the ear speaker, phone calls were hard to hear.
but, no problems after that.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Pro Lounger

Tons of people are reporting this on the Apple forums. Some are saying it's a hardware issue, some are saying it's software. There are some users reporting getting 3 different replacements, and not having the issue resolved. Many people also think it's worse on the 8gb models.

Personally, my external speaker is also absurdly low, even playing music or movies. The earpiece volume is also much lower than I'd like. Otherwise, my phone is working well so I"m not going to do anything until I see if a future software update fixes it.

iPhone 8GB, 2G Nano 4GB, Old school 3G iPod 20GB
Current phones: Ultimate Ears UE5c, Grado SR-80
Previous phones: Sony EX71, Shure E2c, Shure E3c, Ety ER-4P, Senn HD570 & HD580
Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee
Tons of people are reporting this on the Apple forums. Some are saying it's a hardware issue, some are saying it's software. There are some users reporting getting 3 different replacements, and not having the issue resolved. Many people also think it's worse on the 8gb models.

Personally, my external speaker is also absurdly low, even playing music or movies. The earpiece volume is also much lower than I'd like. Otherwise, my phone is working well so I"m not going to do anything until I see if a future software update fixes it.
I too had this problem so I decided to make an appointment at the Genius Bar and have my iPhone checked out. I told the tech that during calls and using the internal speaker the volume is low even with the volume turned all the way up. He took my phone to the back of the store where it was quite to test it. He came back and agreed and swapped it out with a new 8gb iPhone. Needless to say I still have the same problem. I hope this can be fixed via a software update.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cannot hear from iphone

I am new to this forum and need help badly. Several times in a day I cannot hear anything from the iphone (while using phone). The other party can hear me. (volume is all the way up). Only the speaker phone, blue tooth, and headset work. I went to apple store twice but unfortunatley the phone worked there. They are telling me that they cannot do anything about it. Please help.
Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Junior Lounger

no... you guys are right..all the sounds are entirely too low..the only way when it is in my pocket and the phone rings is the "fire alarm" sound and that is too obnoxious...my voice mail is so low I look like an idiot trying to hear it...
Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Junior Lounger

the voicemail volume is low, but otherwise mine is fine. Ringtones were pretty quiet until I did the hack to add custom ringtones, I was able to use audacity to increase their volume.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:36 AM

Reclined Lounger

This must be a problem only with some of the iPhones. My ringtones and alarms are incredibly loud -- I can hear them from one end of my house to the other! Also voices are clear and frankly louder than I've experienced on other mobile phones.

I say keep asking for a replacement until you get one that works -- mine (happily!) is fine, so it's clearly not Apple's intent to have the volume that low.

iPhone, Also 2G/3G/4G/5.5G iPods; 4Gig and 6 Gig Minis; 1G and 2G (8 Gig) Nanos; 1Gig 1st gen Shuffle;also for 2G Shuffle; iPodded BMW 330xi; Ultimate Ears UE5c and UE11Pros
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 AM

Junior Lounger

I find that the volume on the ringtones and alerts suck, I can't hear them at all. I can hear fine when talking on the phone and when using the ipod. The speakerphone is worthless too. I know the speaker can play louder because it does on the ipod. I think it's a firmware issue and wouldn't be surprised to see an update resolving this fairly soon.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:09 AM

Pro Lounger

I took my iPhone to the Apple Store yesterday and, sure enough, my external speaker volume was much lower than all the demos. The genius agreed and replaced the phone.

The thing that ####ed me off was when he told me "Honestly, this is the first I've heard of this problem." I pointed him to the iPhone support forum on apple.com and, sure enough, there were *3* threads on the first page alone about ringer volumes. He acted surprised.

I mean, c'mon... no way am I the first one to bring a phone back to that store for it. In my experience, Apple geniuses never know anything that's talked about on the net, and they always respond to every problem with, "That's the first I've heard of this." They must be told to say it, and, while I appreciate their service, it's sort of insulting to hear. Plus, I think it's a ####ty policy. When someone comes in with a problem and says, "Look, here are threads on your own company's site where dozens of people are posting with same problem" and they are completely naive, it makes them look a bit on the arrogant side, refusing to acknowledge what's right in front of them.

iPhone 8GB, 2G Nano 4GB, Old school 3G iPod 20GB
Current phones: Ultimate Ears UE5c, Grado SR-80
Previous phones: Sony EX71, Shure E2c, Shure E3c, Ety ER-4P, Senn HD570 & HD580
Old 08-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have problems hearing mine as well. The ringer volume is much low then all my previous phones.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can't hear anyone talk?

This may not be the problem with some of the low volume issues, but another issue is the ringer. When you use your headset and unplug it to talk on the phone, sometimes the iPhone does not "switch" back to regular voice control. You'll know when this happens bc your iPod music won't work either. Just plug the headset back in and take it out...that'll usually fix the problemo...
Old 04-18-2008, 05:33 PM

The power that be.

kauffee no offense but these people are working at the genius bar for a wage. They are not particularly highly trained, and to think that they are going to go on the Internet to research your individual problem is absurd. If they did that with every iphone issue the whole store would be bogged down. Its just unreasonable to think that your problem is so special that they would take the extra time to do additional background investigation.

Topic: Can't hear my iphone ring or voice mail or anything phone call

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.