Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Make it stop beeping!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 AM

Junior Lounger

Make it stop beeping!

Yesterday my iphone started beeping (and vibrating) at random times. It acts as if it is giving the alert that I have a new mail arrival or sms message or something but when I go and check I can't find anything new anywhere on the phone.

I was going to try and change all my alert sounds to a different tone, but alas that option isn't supported. I can't find any commonality to why it is doing this. I thought it might be too close to my new wireless router and was somehow getting interference signal causing it to do it, but it just happened to me here at work a couple of times when nowhere near wireless.

I thought it could be an alert when it goes out of service area or signal is low or even battery low, but none of those are consistant or seem to be the case.

Now going to the complete pessimistic side, this is an operating system after all, has anyone ever talked about the phone's susceptibility to viri?

Edit: I have done a reboot and a full power off and reset cycle on it and it still happens.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by cherno; 07-12-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Check your calendar as well. May be it was set by accident. If not then try doing a restore.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:59 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks for the suggestion, it wasn't the calendar though. I checked everywhere.

I think I may have tracked it down, although I am not sure and if it is true, not sure I like it...

I noticed yesterday that my SMS history had gone away completely. I didn't clear it all. I had manually cleared some history but not for everyone. I suspect that the SMS has a fixed amount of time that it stays on the phone and then it automatically deletes it, and it notifies you with a beep. I am saving up some messages to see if I can make it happen some more. So far it's been more than 24 hours since I've had it beep at me mysteriously.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:07 AM

Junior Lounger

I don't think it would just delete SMS messages automatically (at least I've never heard of that) and why would it need to notify you each time it did so?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:21 AM

The best thing to do is check the user guide for SMS messages. There is a link on the FAQ's.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by icruise
I don't think it would just delete SMS messages automatically (at least I've never heard of that) and why would it need to notify you each time it did so?
I agree, but honestly I have checked everything else and that is the only thing I can find that changed during the time it was beeping at me.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 AM

Freshman Lounger

I think I know

I had the same problem. Turns out it was my e-mail. To see if it's the same thing go into settings then sounds and turn off the sound for the mail. If this stops the beep, then it's most likely that you have the same issue.

Apparently what has happened is that apple have changed the user details that the different applications use to access the directories in the iphone but have left a wee bug or two when they did it, so that some user details don't have permission to access the directories they need.

My problem occurred after I upgraded to 2.0 and synced up my old data - the permission obviously got messed up at this point. From what I can gather, the mail tool checked for new mail, downloaded it and sent the beep to say there was new mail, but it didn't have permission to save the new mail so it dumped it - hence no new mail indicator on the mail icon etc. Had me stumped for a few hours till I started turning off all the sounds, then turned them on one by one - I noticed that the mail sound was the same as the beep I was getting from the iphone, so I opened my mail tool. The mail tool downloaded a new message then crashed out and did this every time I tried it. I did a search for 'iPhone mail problem' and found the solution pretty quickly.

Probably you can do a factory reset but as I'd already, ahem, released my iPhone from its sheckles shall we say, I installed BossPrefs and after that it was a simple button press to fix the directory rights issue.

Hope this helps.

Topic: Make it stop beeping!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.