Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Do you leave wifi on all the time?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Reclined Lounger

Do you leave wifi on all the time?

So I'm noticing that wifi uses up the battery a lot faster. I don't really need wifi when I'm out and about or at work since as I don't have wifi there. I just have it at home and it could be at cafes and places like that.

Should I only turn it on on an as needed basis?

White 32GB iPhone 3GS, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:26 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediahound
Should I only turn it on on an as needed basis?

Yes.

------
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Insanely Sarcastic

That sux. The dang thing not intelligent enuff to turn itself off? Dark ages here?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 PM

I have mine set to off and when I'm in an area it is picking up Wi-fi a box will automatically appear on the screen for me to choose a connection option. I haven't used it because the options that appear have a lock and I have to enter a user name and password that I don't have and the ones that don't I haven't been able to get on.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee1236
I have mine set to off and when I'm in an area it is picking up Wi-fi a box will automatically appear on the screen for me to choose a connection option. I haven't used it because the options that appear have a lock and I have to enter a user name and password that I don't have and the ones that don't I haven't been able to get on.
When you are not currently connected to a wifi network that wifi transmitter is not powered -- leaving it on does not harm your battery life at all, as long as you don't connect to a wifi network (being connected does not really use anymore power then browsing over edge.) Only reason you would turn of Wifi is if you wanted to test something over EDGE or you traveling and just don't want to be pestered by misc wifi networks poping up randomly.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Apple Lover

mine is always off..outside my house..whenever im not at home

| Have a Question? Email me | ericlewis91@gmail.com l
Old 07-06-2007, 01:05 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlemd
When you are not currently connected to a wifi network that wifi transmitter is not powered

Are you sure about this? Isn't it looking for wifi networks if wifi is set to on and you aren't connected to a wifi? Doesn't this seeking take power?

Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 PM

Senior Lounger

If you leave wifi on, it will seamlessly connect to the fastest connection. I've got mine set to connect to wifi without asking me and I have no battery issues to complain about.

See ya
Steve
Old 07-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot
If you leave wifi on, it will seamlessly connect to the fastest connection. I've got mine set to connect to wifi without asking me and I have no battery issues to complain about.

Right but it doesn't seem to make sense to leave it on when you know you don't want to connect via wifi. Example, where I work there is no wifi. Why should I leave wifi on on the iPhone all day when I know it will only connect via EDGE?

Old 07-06-2007, 02:02 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediahound
Right but it doesn't seem to make sense to leave it on when you know you don't want to connect via wifi. Example, where I work there is no wifi. Why should I leave wifi on on the iPhone all day when I know it will only connect via EDGE?
It takes little to no power for the antenna to read the signal that is already going to be on it (regardless if the iphone is even on or not the signal will still be hitting the antenna), regardless of weather it is getting power and thus when you are not connected to a wifi network you will see no real battery life diffrence with wifi on or off. It does not have to transmit any data until you actually attempt to join a wifi network -- that is when power is used, but still a vary marginal amount.

Bluetooth on the other hand should be turned off when you are not using it -- it actively looks for other bluetooth devices and other bluetooth devices activly request confirmation of the existence of your device draining battery life.

Last edited by riddlemd; 07-06-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlemd
It takes little to no power for the antenna to read the signal that is already going to be on it (regardless if the iphone is even on or not the signal will still be hitting the antenna), regardless of weather it is getting power and thus when you are not connected to a wifi network you will see no real battery life diffrence with wifi on or off. It does not have to transmit any data until you actually attempt to join a wifi network -- that is when power is used, but still a vary marginal amount.

I disagree.

Apple states, "Wi-Fi consumes power even if you are not using its features to connect to a network. You can turn it off to save power. Go to Settings > General > Network > Wi-Fi."

from
http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Old 07-06-2007, 02:10 PM

ipiddle a little

Mediahound,

I'm with you on this. Even Leo Laporte stated he noticed improved battery life with wifi off.

I'll be leaving mine off unless I'm in a good wifi area.

Current
iphone, 2nd gen 4gb Nano, 2nd gen shuffle, Icelink plus, Audiolink

Previous
5g 30gb Video, 4g 40gb photo, 6gb mini, 3g 40gb
Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

I've not noticed quite a draw on the battery with the WiFi on when there are *absolutely* no AP's around, but when there is, even if you are not connected it seems to be polling it's status every so often.

I work in a building with at least one AP, I forgot to turn the WiFi off when I got here and got a rude surprise halfway thru the day when I looked and discovered that my battery was mostly empty.

Topic: Do you leave wifi on all the time?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.