How do I get photos off the iPhone?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediahound

Website
tristantom.com
What's the best way to get the photos taking with the iPhone onto my computer? I've only found that I can email them to myself but is there a way to download them or something?

Website
www.ilounge.com
The iPhone manual implies that they should appear when you connect the iPhone to your computer. Not having an iPhone myself, I'm not sure how this works, but I'm guessing the photo directory itself is exposed as some kind of disk mode or USB camera connection.

You should be able to import them using iPhoto on a Mac, or the Windows Camera utility on a PC.

Mediahound

Website
tristantom.com
I figured it out. It only works with iPhoto, not in iTunes. I was expecting it to work in iTunes which seems natural to me but oh well.

Open iPhoto and the iPhone actually appears as a disk drive on the left under 'source'. Then you can download the photos taken with the iPhone. But you have to do it in iPhoto. It will not appear on the Desktop or anything.

Website
www.ilounge.com
I suspect it's using a camera sync profile rather than a disk mode type of profile.

There are still digital cameras out there that appear specifically as cameras, using a different transfer protocol, rather than just showing up as a disk drive.

Photo transfer from the iPod (ie, photos loaded in with the camera connector) worked much the same way, except that of course the iPod did show up as an external drive in the process (photos were read from the DCIM directory).

Mediahound

Website
tristantom.com
Your right. Cool, I don't have to use iTunes, I can also use Adobe Camera Raw since it acts just like a connected camera (minus the mounting on Desktop part).

laz305

ok how about for us PC users what can we do cuz my dilemma is, when i try to sync a photo folder thats only 4mb and i have 35mb free space it says there is not enough memory so i go check the folder and it created a 28mb folder called iPod Photo Cache. What can i do?

philapod

i wish it could (would give you an option to) transfer the pictures in your camera roll to your computer when you sync with iTunes

toneill

Getting "There are no items to import."

Mediahound said:
I figured it out. It only works with iPhoto, not in iTunes. I was expecting it to work in iTunes which seems natural to me but oh well.

Open iPhoto and the iPhone actually appears as a disk drive on the left under 'source'. Then you can download the photos taken with the iPhone. But you have to do it in iPhoto. It will not appear on the Desktop or anything.
I tried this, but get the above message when I click on the iphone icon. The pictures (all 250+ of them) are there on the phone, but I can't seem to find a way to get them off.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

[edit] By the way, if this is useful, my computer is a MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

Calistograph

This seems to a rather silly oversight on the part of apple. I too have a pc and would to know how to get photos off of my iPhone.

Website
www.ilounge.com
The iPhone will appear to any application that supports direct digital camera import as a digital camera device, similar the older digital cameras that were used before they started adopting a USB Disk Mode.

If you start up the Windows XP "Scanner and Camera Wizard" the iPhone should appear as a camera device in there. You will not see it as a disk drive in Windows Explorer, and applications that are simply looking to read a folder from a mass storage device will not work with it. The application has to provide direct digital camera support.

Apple officially supports Adobe Photoshop Album and Elements for photo transfer, but any application that can read a proper digital camera transfer should work fine.

Note as well that your iPhone must not be locked with a password, otherwise photo transfer will not work (this is presumably to prevent somebody from getting at your photos if they were to get their hands on your iPhone). If you're using a password in the locking mode, ensure that you unlock the iPhone before trying to transfer pictures.

toneill

jhollington said:
Note as well that your iPhone must not be locked with a password, otherwise photo transfer will not work (this is presumably to prevent somebody from getting at your photos if they were to get their hands on your iPhone). If you're using a password in the locking mode, ensure that you unlock the iPhone before trying to transfer pictures.
Whoops! Thanks so much, this fixed my problem. :eek:

cherno

As jHollington said, the iPhone will appear in your drive listing as if it were a digital camera hooked up to the computer. You can right click and tell it to get photos and go through the wizard. As for having more photos than what the iphone can store I believe I read in the manual, just as with songs/videos/etc, that you should make a special folder for the specific purpose of housing the things you want to put on the phone.

Since the phone doesn't have an "autofill" like the shuffle knowing how much to put based on % you want to fill of a file type you do have to manually manage it a bit.

monkeysrock0622

well i know that if you have a pc then you can just plug the iphone into your usb drive and then there should be a window that pops up asking to import your photos from the still digital camera. and if that doesnt work you can just go to "my computer>apple iphone" then the pix will apear in a disk mode kind of way

willbarraclough

Getting Images From iPhone to PC without emailing them. (Win XP )

I only worked this out this evening as I needed to perform this task myself.

Quite simply on windows xp as I am not yet a vista user, though it may be the same solution, go to my computer > click 'Apple iPhone'

All your images are stored in there, but you cant yet access them. What you need to do is select the ones you want to copy, right click, and select 'Save to My Pictures'.

Clicking this will automatically copy all selected images to your My Pictures folder and then you can do what you wish with them.

danva

If the Iphone doesn't show up in 'My Computer', check that the 'Bonjour Service' is running. It wasn't for me on windows XP, soon as I started that service the IPhone showed up in 'My Computer'

To turn it on:
right click 'My Computer' > Manage > "Services and Applications" > "Services" > right click service name and start

spot1701

Rock 'n' Roll Doggie
Website
www.rfrogs.co.uk
If your phone and your computer are on the same network you can use the PhotoSync app.
It allows you to view your photos via your computers web browser, then you can download the photos you want.

The_Duck

ok how about for us PC users what can we do cuz my dilemma is, when i try to sync a photo folder thats only 4mb and i have 35mb free space it says there is not enough memory so i go check the folder and it created a 28mb folder called iPod Photo Cache. What can i do?
After I connect my iphone, in Windows Explorer you will see an iphone icon listed under disks/drives. You can view all your photos through windows explorer that are on your iphone and move/copy any you want onto your internal HD.

JazzyT

Remove lock if d/l'ing pics from IPhone!

I just want to say thanks to JHOLLINGTON for this advice:

I had been struggling with this problem for a while now and now know what I was doing wrong!! :shake:

therealxian

Help?

I only worked this out this evening as I needed to perform this task myself.

Quite simply on windows xp as I am not yet a vista user, though it may be the same solution, go to my computer > click 'Apple iPhone'

All your images are stored in there, but you cant yet access them. What you need to do is select the ones you want to copy, right click, and select 'Save to My Pictures'.

Clicking this will automatically copy all selected images to your My Pictures folder and then you can do what you wish with them.
Ok... this is how I previously did it. But now its not showing up as a Camera or anything as a matter of fact. I can sync my phone with music and everything in iTunes but thats it. Oh and i'm on a PC

Help?

jsrr1950

works with Picassa

I'm on Windows XP with iTunes 9, and when I plug in my iphone, there is a dialogue window asking me which of 3 programs I want to run (Word, Windows Picture/Fax viewer, and Picassa).
If I choose Picassa, then the iphone camera roll dumps to a ".Picassa3temp" folder under MyDocuments/MyPictures.
At least I can get the pictures from there, or from within Picassa.:shake:

Status
Not open for further replies.