The official iPhone discussion thread - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-09-2007, 04:14 PM

Junior Lounger

The official iPhone discussion thread

Well the "wide-screen" "video" "iphone" is here. Its very nice, but not $600 nice... It will sell like mad i'm sure, but i'll wait for a cheaper model...

Would have been nice to have a model with no phone and add 80gb harddrive though... I'd buy that now...

Sponge

11,458 Songs / 49 Videos / 84.0 GB Used 160gb 6G classic / 8gb iPod touch / 80gb 5.5G iPod / 8gb 2G Nano / 60gb 4G iPod (in retirement) / 4gb Black Nano / 4gb 2G Blue Mini (in retirement) / 1gb 1G Shuffle (in retirement) / 1gb 2G Shuffle (Silver)// 256mb Sandisk DAP / 192mb Nomad IIc / 5gb ipod 1g (broken)

Last edited by ltspongebob; 01-09-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:20 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

U want it good and u want it cheap?

Meh either, but that's 'cuz am not into videos.

It's gonna make the video kids and touch screen fans very happy though, *if* they can afford it!

I think I'd wait for next year's iPhone-mini. Just phone+music is all I need.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

.....i think that the 600 dollar price tag makes it easier to wait and see if there are any glitches that need to be worked out with it, wait for it to go to like verizon or not. that isn't that big of a deal either way. plus, the price will go down greatly after some time.

i think it's one of the most amazing things i've ever seen in cell phones. but still not worth 600 dollars. and only 8gbs?

I'll wait for the 100+gb 6g iPod. whenever that comes out.

Very nice though...

edit : but what about that touch screen? another reason to wait it out. see how the screen reacts to fingers and possible scratches. hopefully not as easily scratched as the black iPod video.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:22 PM

Better Than Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by robenco18
I'll wait for the 100+gb 6g iPod. whenever that comes out.
You hit the nail on the head. I have to say that merge calls and visual voicemail look pretty cool. I just don't have any need for a phone, any money, or any half-way decent Cingular coverage, otherwise I'd be all over it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Junior Lounger

I want that!

Except not a phone! Just the video ipod!

And not at that price tag!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Music Is Your Friend.

I don't need a cell phone. Let alone a $600 cell phone that you're bound to keep paying for service for 2 years.

I say screw the phone and release the iVid or something that'll be just an iPod, but wide/touchscreen.

14,039 tracks; 38.2 Days, 78.73 GB || 5G 30GB Black [serviced, new refurb 10/06] || 160GB Black iPod Classic

Current Earphones: v-moda vibes
the graveyard: v-moda Remix:M (broken) // v-moda bass freqs (broken) // FJ-IPOD-E3220 (broken) // 2x stock Apple buds (broken) (think I'm rough on earbuds?)
Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

I wonder if u can buy the thing wo Cingular service. So if ur not using the phone, why force u into a contract?

However, carrying two gadgets when u can have one is tempting eh?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Junior Lounger

All that capability and potential, and not enough space to do anything with it. 4G, 8G??? And how much space will the OS take up? I don't understand. It's like they built a Lamborghini with a 6 ounce gas tank.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well now that Steve has said this is the finest iPod he's ever made, does that mean that any further iPod upgrade could be exactly the same without the phone? I mean if you've already made the jump to widescreen, you HAVE to apply it to video. But at only 8G, the iPhone really isn't a widescreen video player.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Music Is Your Friend.

You might be able to buy it contract less, but then you're looking at an even higher price. All for 8GB? I'll pass.

If they replaced the current 5G line-up with this model, but with an HD and at roughly the same price I'd jump in a second.

14,039 tracks; 38.2 Days, 78.73 GB || 5G 30GB Black [serviced, new refurb 10/06] || 160GB Black iPod Classic

Current Earphones: v-moda vibes
the graveyard: v-moda Remix:M (broken) // v-moda bass freqs (broken) // FJ-IPOD-E3220 (broken) // 2x stock Apple buds (broken) (think I'm rough on earbuds?)
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanafuda
All that capability and potential, and not enough space to do anything with it. 4G, 8G??? And how much space will the OS take up? I don't understand. It's like they built a Lamborghini with a 6 ounce gas tank.
Oh right, missed that. A video iPod with 8 gig? dang, that's barely enough for music.

But u know what gangs, now that the wide screen hardware and touch screen is out, they just need to make a slightly thicker casing and make it into a AV-only iPod with a big HD. AND THE ADVENTURE continues on all predictions on how the 6G looks like!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:06 PM

Junior Lounger

I WANT THIS!!!!

I'm gonna wait till a few months after it is released before I buy. So far what I'm seeing on apple's web site seems like it could replace my nano, and cell phone, but I also have a PDA so i'm curious to know how strong are the PIM software if any.

Proud Owner of:
iPhone 4 16GB, capsule rebel black case, VModa in ear headphones

iPod Classic 80gb silver, Incase leather sleeve, sennheiser CX300 Ear canal headphones
Old 01-09-2007, 05:14 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Knowing Apple, the software will be excellent. How does it interface with a Windows box, that's another matter.

Anybody wanna bet Apple paid Cisco major $dough to use "iPhone"? Otherwise the thing would be $150 cheaper!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:32 PM

Junior Lounger

It's a pretty sweet device. As far as touch screen controls/interface design goes, it's everything I was hoping for and then some. But the phone means nothing to me personally. If they take out the phone functionality, remove the puny 8 gig flash storage and add a 100 gig hard disk in its place, I'd grab one in a heart beat.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the coming iPod upgrades. They've come too far to take a step backward storage-wise. People who just want a high-capacity music/video player are still counting on large storage, and I doubt Apple is going to leave them in the cold.

1st Gen 1GB iPod Shuffle | 5.5 Gen 80GB iPod(Glad I didn't wait for the 6g.)
Old 01-09-2007, 05:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Dear Mr. Jobs

Congratulations on another successful keynote speech. It goes without saying that you’ve outdone yourself. Once again, you’ve exceeded all expectations and laid the question of competition to rest.

While I must acknowledge that your new iPhone is incredibly innovative, I admit that I was hoping to something a bit more in line with your previous exploits. Specifically, I was looking for the fabled 6G iPod.

I realize that announcing an iPod with similar functionality minus the phone and internet capabilities would put somewhat of a damper on the fanfare of the day. However, it would also send another shot across Microsoft’s bow as their Zune hype bubble continues to deflate.

A widescreen is great for internet browsing, but I believe that it is best utilized to view movies. With your recent deal with Paramount, you have the perfect foundation to launch a new line of iPods. I envision an iPod that is scratch-resistant, usable without having to view the screen, and Bluetooth enabled. I dream of capacities of 60GB or more along with firewire connectivity. The accelerometer that you included in the iPhone could be used to detect a sudden freefall, shutting down the hard drive to prevent further damage upon impact.

So I have the following declaration for you, Steve Jobs: I have $500 set aside. In fact, it has been set aside for the past 4 months since my previous iPod suffered water damage and I heard rumors of a touchscreen update. The day you release this requested update, I give you my word that you will be at least $500 more wealthy. A man of your current affluence may not mark the significance of an additional $500. But take it as both a show of good faith, and an acknowledgement that behind me there is an army of consumers who are holding out for the same thing.

Regards

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.