The official iPhone discussion thread - Page 5 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-13-2007, 02:15 AM

Keep on 'Podin

Apple has stated it will be a locked unit and no third party software development will be allowed. Of course Im sure there will be things you can download from Cingular and pay for just like any other phone, but we wont see any of those games, emulators or apps that all those developers made for the Pocket PC.

I think the iphone is cool and might get better in the future and the UI is WAAAAY better than Pocket PC, but the bottom line is my Pocket PC Phone can still do everything the iphone can plus more, even if it doesnt do it as elegantly. I mean my Pocket PC has a program that is just as good as Photoshop on it (Pocket Artist), when I start seeing some killer apps and games on the iphone (if they ever release a SDK) then I will get it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson
Links don't work Alien.
They're working for me. Don't copy and paste the links but click on them.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:12 AM

Atlanta Falcons!

What phone carriers will the iPhone be able to work with?

Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 AM

Music Is Your Friend.

Carier. Cingular.

14,039 tracks; 38.2 Days, 78.73 GB || 5G 30GB Black [serviced, new refurb 10/06] || 160GB Black iPod Classic

Current Earphones: v-moda vibes
the graveyard: v-moda Remix:M (broken) // v-moda bass freqs (broken) // FJ-IPOD-E3220 (broken) // 2x stock Apple buds (broken) (think I'm rough on earbuds?)
Old 01-13-2007, 10:18 AM

Actually, the iPhone will only initially be released for Cingular, and will almost certainly be a "locked" phone to work with only that carrier. However, this doesn't mean it won't be capable of being released for other carriers.

Any GSM carrier can technically support the iPhone, subject to Apple providing the iPhone to those carriers. In the U.S., I believe the options are Cingular and T-Mobile, although Apple has signed a "multi-year exclusive" deal with Cingular, so I don't expect that T-Mobile will have them for some time.

In other countries, that's more of a mixed bag, as we don't know who Apple is going to sign with. In Canada, there is only one major GSM provider, and that is Rogers (Fido also provides GSM, but since they're owned by Rogers now, it's really just a different brand).

Old 01-14-2007, 01:13 AM

Obsessed Lounger

The iPhone.
Something to expensive and unusable to me. 600 dollars, plus the monthly phone bill. I don't think so. It is really neat and stuff, because I want a cell phone, but I can live without it because I wouldn't use that part a lot. The 8GB really kills it. I have a 30GB 5.5G. I am filling that thing up like crazy. 8GB would be gone. The touchscreen part? Couldn't the screen scratch/crack/fingerprint easily? The new iPhone is a cool thing though for Apple. It may be a perfect thing for you, but for me, I am sticking with my 5.5G 30GB Black iPod Video.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:51 PM

mrdantownsend

i LOVE the multi functionality of my iPod, but I just need a phone to make telephone calls, that's it

I don't need a crappy camera, a stupid tip calculator, or crappy eight bit games

now for the iPhone, it looks like a very nice piece of technology with many advancements, but like I said, I only need to make telephone calls on a phone
Old 01-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Junior Lounger

Man, i cant believe this whole," all i need is to make calls" bit. I dont personally know one person that wants a phone to simply make calls. I think cell phone were meant to do many things, and i personally use my phone for a lot of stuff. If i forget my calculater in math, then i can pull out my phone and do something right quick, or if i am bored on a bus ride, then i can pull out my cell phone and listen to music or play games. There are many uses for cell phones, but the iPhone just implements many of these uses way better than most phone, espacially in the internet/mp3 player catogories.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Power Lounger

Actually, I know plenty of people who only want a phone to make calls. Some people simply don't care about mp3 players, music, etc. Personally, I love technology and the smartphones and all that jazz, but the fact is, there's a fair margin of people who simply don't care about all that stuff. They want a phone with a clear signal, and that's all they need.

The thing I'm curious to see is what content gets added to the iTunes music store after the release of the iPhone. Rigntones, possible third-party apps and widgets... I think it'll be interesting to see.

I definetely want this phone. I have an iPod now, but due to the fact that I rarely listen to the majority of my music collection (I have tons of CDs, but other than the rare quality CD that isn't filled with... filler, only a few songs from each CD get listened to), 8 gigs is ample storage for a fair amount of music and a handful of vids. However, I wonder how much stuff like Visual Voicemail and internet access on the phone will cost. I'd imagine that when in range of a wireless connection, surely it would be free? Especially if the iPhone is as good as it says it is with automatically switching between signals.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 AM

Junior Lounger

Well i agree with you, and i too am curious to see what is going to b added to the itunes store. I hadnt though of this until now, but what if they had like songs that came with ringtones or sumtin, that would be really cool. I definatly am getting this phone, and probably selling my ipod. Apple said 3rd party apps would nto be supported, but it would be cool if they had widgets on the itunes store as well.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

any word if you can buy the phone without contract?

600 with contract is too much. there are many other phones for so much cheaper. slvr? its a bit of a sacrafice, but the price difference..

thinking 900-1000 for the iphone without cingular?

could buy a laptop with that. maybe 80 gb. plenty of room for music and videos there. and get internet phone. its free.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:49 PM

Would be kinda funny to see you holding up a laptop to your head though.

See This Before Posting!

Old 01-21-2007, 01:22 PM

Junior Lounger

WEll the problem is that it wont be sold outside of cingular. So basicaly you pay 5/600 dollars or nothing, because they have a multi-year exclusivity contract with apple that states that it is to not be sold at any other carrier than cingular. But i do agree, you could get a laptop with that money, but i guess it all depends on what you want. SOme people are really into cell phones nd mp3 players(me), so i would rather get this than a mediocre laptop for 600 bucks.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:40 AM

Junior Lounger

the iphone looks freakin sweet id sell my toes to get it and possibly my fingers lol

oh one more thing yay widgets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by the god of the; 02-28-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:46 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidxe
The iPhone price is with a 2 year contract too, I can't imagine the RETAIL price on the sucker.

Internet? I bet its slow as hell, at least it is with blackberry devices..and I have a computer for that and most current phones support it.

Videos? My 5G does that.
Songs? My nano/5G does that.
8GB capacity? Pathetic, my iPod has 10 times that capacity.
Price? I could buy two 80GB iPods for the price of one 8GB iPhone.

As far as I can tell the only thing this device really revolutionalizes is a touch screen..and that really doesn't justify the price tag.

The iPhone is really stuck in the middle, it has a bunch of business applications that kids won't touch and at the same time it has video/music functions that businesses/older generation won't touch, I highly doubt any serious company is going to buy these phones for their employees. So who is it marketed for?
one simple answer to your question me lol

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.