The official iPhone discussion thread - Page 4 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-10-2007, 11:56 AM

Veteran Lounger

The iPhone price is with a 2 year contract too, I can't imagine the RETAIL price on the sucker.

Internet? I bet its slow as hell, at least it is with blackberry devices..and I have a computer for that and most current phones support it.

Videos? My 5G does that.
Songs? My nano/5G does that.
8GB capacity? Pathetic, my iPod has 10 times that capacity.
Price? I could buy two 80GB iPods for the price of one 8GB iPhone.

As far as I can tell the only thing this device really revolutionalizes is a touch screen..and that really doesn't justify the price tag.

The iPhone is really stuck in the middle, it has a bunch of business applications that kids won't touch and at the same time it has video/music functions that businesses/older generation won't touch, I highly doubt any serious company is going to buy these phones for their employees. So who is it marketed for?

iPod Shuffle [2GB/3G] -·- iPod Video 240GB -·- iPod Classic 120GB -·- iPod Nano 16GB [4G] -·- iPod Shuffle [2GB/2G] -·- iPod Shuffle 4GB
Retired: 5G 60GB, 80GB, Classic 80GB, 2G Shuffle 1GB, iPod Touch 1G 16GB, 1G Nano, 2G Nano
Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Senior Lounger

I think the thing looks amazing without a doubt and if my cell was a big part in everyday life I would buy it. Unfortunately I'm only 14 and my friends either have no credit or don't have their phones on them so it doesn't interest me at the moment. As for other features, well I own a 7 megapixel camera, mac os x, and an iPod and none of these things are going to be made redundant by the iPhone.

As for those who are wondering about new iPods all I can say is judging by the way Apple has worked in the past I'm predicting there will be some revision to the iPod line in May/June time. This means prices will be lowered and lower spec models may be made redundant. I don't think there will be any new iPods as new iPods are usually announced either in the fourth quarter of the year or at MacWorld. I'm pretty sure the earliest new iPods will emerge is August at the Apple conference. In my opinion hanging around for new iPods right now is pointless and you will lose out on months of enjoyment.

-Mac Mini 1.66 Core Duo
-4G iPod Colour Screen [20GB]
-Most Played: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh)
-"iPod+iTunes can be as easy or advanced as you want to make it"

Last edited by Eddie '92; 01-10-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:58 PM

ali
Junior Lounger

the thing is very cool i must say. but if were going to mix a phone and an ipod in one. why leave the capacity at 8gb. thats no good unless you're a current nano user.. for a 30gb or above ipod user it makes no sense to upgrade.
and also do we know if it plays .avi ! i'm pretty sure it does not.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:03 PM

Junior Lounger

I am amazed at how many negative comments there are about the iPhone. I watched the keynote speech and I was very impressed by Apple’s latest gadget. The UI is just incredible.

I have used PocketPCs for years and have been using a PPC Phone (HTC Wizard) for over a year. As pointed out in earlier posts, most of the features offered by the iPhone are already available in PPC phones like my wizard. For example, I have push email, mp3 player, contacts/calendar/PIM, touch screen, Bluetooth, wifi, picture view and an internet browser. While many of the apps required to take advantage of these features are built into the OS (WM5), most PPC owners end up using 3rd party apps to make these options better and easier to use. The overall result is a device with every feature having a different look and feel. Because there is very little consistency, the phone is not very intuitive or easy to use. (I won’t even get into the headaches caused by problems syncing, with firmware or with the device requiring regular resets.)

All of the core features in the iPhone take advantage of the same UI style. It is therefore easy to use as well as very intuitive. With the addition of widgets, there is even a method for adding additional applications like GPS navigation software (using a Bluetooth GPS receiver) to be added by those who need them. Even though most of the features are already available on other phones, they feel like new features because their implementation is so well done.

The biggest two complaints I see are the amount of flash memory and the price. I agree that 8Gb is not a lot if video is important to you. I don’t see myself ever watching videos on a small screen (I have the ability with my current phone and have only watched one movie on it). For me that leaves only music to worry about. Since I recently switched from a 40Gb iPod to an 8Gb Nano, I am already comfortable with the space available. BTW, I find that not having my entire music collection (30+Gb) with me at all times is actually a good thing. Once a week or so, I pick out about 100 albums to put on my nano. This ends up making me listen to a bigger variety of my collection and with over 100 albums to choose from at any given time, I always have something to listen to that fits my mood of the moment.

The price is the other major complaint. If you compare the iPhone to high end smart phones that have a similar feature set, you will find that the price is appropriate. This is especially true when you consider that it has an 8Gb iPod built in to it. And as we all know, with time the price will come down.

I am not saying that the iPhone is the perfect phone, but IMHO it is a giant leap in the right direction. I can not wait to see the 2nd generation iPhone.

8Gb 2G Nano
Shure E3G
Windoze XP Pro
Pentium IV 3.2Ghz w/2Gb RAM
Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Keep on 'Podin

I agree I currently own a PPC device and while I think the iphone is GREAT I would not switch at this time. I can run every emulator on my phone and play DOOM,, QUAKE, WOLF. The iphone cant do any of this and based on Apple's past I dont see them opening it up for coders to port games and new apps to. My current Pocket PC also have pocket artist which allows me to draw right on the screen and while not as elegant as the iphone I can watch movies and listen to music also. HOWEVER this is just a start.. The second or third gen iphones might be better and IF they allow the code to the public then all bets are off as we will just see a ton of apps and games.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

I don't see why Apple would not allow third party applications. Every hardware vendor wish the world would write programs for it, just makes it more popular.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb-mini
I don't see why Apple would not allow third party applications. Every hardware vendor wish the world would write programs for it, just makes it more popular.
I think the other poster was referring to the fact that the iPod was never opened up to developers by Apple.

I think the iPhone will be different though and we will see a developers package for people to add their own widgets or apps to it, but that surely is down the road. For all we know about the iPhone, major speculation still exists until a hard model is in someone's hands.

Click the image to open in full size.
5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

Disappointing, to say the least. I have been waiting for the upgrade to my 5th gen 30 gig and thats what they come up with? Lame.
why would i go from 30g to 8g. its a widescreen ipod for videos, too bad u can't keep very many on it. For me this is the worst part.
I have a phone with browser capabilities on it, why would i need an ipod with that. I definetly don't use the browser on my phone. Have u seen the bill after a month of data service(ouch). Tried it on my pocket pc.
It's only exclusive to Cingular. I am in Canada, so much for that idea.
I already have a contract on my present phone.
The price is about 300 dollars too much.
It does have a kool graphic display.
Where are the normal wide screen video ipods, with the storage capacity of 80+ Gigs?
The camera is a good idea, but 2.0 Mega pixel is extremely low.
I will not spend my money on it. When the standard video only version comes out I will be all over it. I would even pay $500 for a 80G version

Last edited by spaceman1701; 01-10-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 PM

Junior Lounger

I LOVE it.

I am definatly geting one when it comes out. For me, i have a 30 gig ipod. I like it, but the thing is that i only have 2.5 gigs of music on it, and i dont find it realistic to watch movies on it. This phone looks amazing. It makes my v3i ridicoulous. Plus, i am tired of the RAZR design. With all the funcionality with the wifi and everything, it is perfect. everywhere i go has wifi, my school, my house, starbucks. Not to mention that the phone is Cingular, which is my provider, and i am due for a upgrade in June. Cingular is the only provider in my area that works. Just my 2 cents, i think it is great for some people, not so great for others with amazing music collections. It will work perfect for nano owners, but no so great for 80/60 gig ipod owners. Not to mention i am glad that they have told me about it now, so i can save up 25 bucks a week to fund it. THX Apple

Regards
Old 01-11-2007, 05:42 AM

Apple Invisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman1701
Disappointing, to say the least. I have been waiting for the upgrade to my 5th gen 30 gig and thats what they come up with? Lame.
why would i go from 30g to 8g. its a widescreen ipod for videos, too bad u can't keep very many on it. For me this is the worst part.
I have a phone with browser capabilities on it, why would i need an ipod with that. I definetly don't use the browser on my phone. Have u seen the bill after a month of data service(ouch). Tried it on my pocket pc.
It's only exclusive to Cingular. I am in Canada, so much for that idea.
I already have a contract on my present phone.
The price is about 300 dollars too much.
It does have a kool graphic display.
Where are the normal wide screen video ipods, with the storage capacity of 80+ Gigs?
The camera is a good idea, but 2.0 Mega pixel is extremely low.
I will not spend my money on it. When the standard video only version comes out I will be all over it. I would even pay $500 for a 80G version
I think it's supposed to replace future buyers of smartphones. If you had a choice between a nokia N95 and an iPhone, which one are you gonna pick? Anyways, storage space will come up over the years, just like the first iPod, started out at 10GB now we have thin 80GB iPods.
Because if you think about it, 8GB is a lot to cram into 11.6mm which also holds the battery, screen and other components. San Disk came out with this new storage thingie for laptop computers which is pretty thin and holds a lot of storage, the technology isn't that far away.
I think the the thing about the iPhone that blows me away is the multi-touch screen and accelerometer. Bloody Amazing. Check it out if you haven't already at http://www.apple.com/iphone/ipod/ You have to see to believe.

Be Careless With Care, Be Smart About Being Stupid And Behave About Being Naughty.

Last edited by TigersabreZ; 01-11-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigersabreZ
I think it's supposed to replace future buyers of smartphones. If you had a choice between a nokia N95 and an iPhone, which one are you gonna pick? Anyways, storage space will come up over the years, just like the first iPod, started out at 10GB now we have thin 80GB iPods.
Because if you think about it, 8GB is a lot to cram into 11.6mm which also holds the battery, screen and other components. San Disk came out with this new storage thingie for laptop computers which is pretty thin and holds a lot of storage, the technology isn't that far away.
I think the the thing about the iPhone that blows me away is the multi-touch screen and accelerometer. Bloody Amazing. Check it out if you haven't already at http://www.apple.com/iphone/ipod/ You have to see to believe.
I'd pick the N95, Its still has GPS and a 5MPX carl zeiss lens.

Dont let schooling interfere with your education
Old 01-11-2007, 04:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Following are two must-read articles:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu..._the_i7650.php

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ng_Through.php
Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 PM

Junior Lounger

Links don't work Alien.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigersabreZ
Don't get me wrong. the technology behind the Ipod part is outstanding, it is the rest of it that is disappointing. I have a seimens pocket pc, which is a smart phone, but i still prefer to keep my phone as my phone and my data machine seperate. I have a motorola V551M, a basic phone and that all i need. It texts and I put it to my ear, what else do i need?
If the new widescreen ipod was just a mp3 and video player, I would be all over it and I would pay that kind of money(provided the storage was larger). I have been waiting and I expected the new widescreen ipod to be minimum 80G with a price tag of 500+. I was ready to pay it. Told the wife I would be getting one as soon as it hit the stores. Now I am uninterested.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:48 PM

Junior Lounger

Now i cannot imagine paying 500+ dollars for a ipod with no other functionality to it. IN reality, this phone is worth it in all repects. I figure that you buy an ipod nano, which would cost a cool 250. Then you buy a phone with even semi-comparable funtions sans wifi, and your gona pay 200= for it. Then you could go out and buy an internet communicater, IE the Nokia n800, and you are gonna pay 400 dollars more. So to me, that is easily about 850 dollars for 3 seperate devices hat can be nudled in one device for a great price. I am seriusly gonna sell my ipod and my phone and get this thing ASAP. It has a amzing UI that NO other phone comes close too, and you cant put a price on that. Apple has seriusly revolutionized the cell phone era.

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.