The official iPhone discussion thread - Page 3 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader172
Unfortunately I knew something like this would happen. I guess I feared the worst...
Oh comeon, have a little faith. Am not a fan of touchscreen either but Apple would not have released such thing wo a wizzybang super high-tech highly scratch resistant screen (I can be proven wrong of course!) Will see, when the hands-on reviews start to come in.

People, this is NOT AN iPod, it's a PHONE with iPod features. So don't have a cow and can stop complaining about the paltry 8 gig now.

Removable battery - good point.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Pro Lounger

i saw it and immediatly i loved it. it was for mne. But then they announced it was for cingular.. ok now i will have to pay for my own plan... not so bad.. lets see cingular's lowest priced one person plan... $40 per month ouch... ok lets see the phones price.. problably $300 like the iPods... ok holy ####ing #### $600? Apple, did you get your price mixed with sony PS3?

lets see.

my current t-mobile(family plan 5th add 9.99 a month) and Samsung T629 slider(Xmas Present) - to me, free bc my dad pays for family plan

Switch to cingular and iPhone:

iPhone - $600
2 years of cingular service at lowest rates: $960

If you switch from a different service provider, the iPhone will cost you $1,500 dollars and you will have to keep it for 2 years

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Veteran Lounger

this is frickin' awesome. however i just got my blackberry pearl.

as for the iphone i fell in love with it's looks and features the second i read about it. it's so for me and i want it badly now. however my family's contract is with t mobile and i'm wondering when they'll also provide the phone with t mobile. perhaps a month or two after it releases with cingular. around here cingular has the worse signal.

as for the phone being bought without a contract. probably more than 800 dollars just for the 4gb alone.

this may take some time saving up the money. ridiculous though! 800 dollars for a phone. that money could buy a whole new computer.

.........overall love it but hate the price tag. i must have it though.

30gb iPod photo- has been sent to my aunt. She loves it, and is very careful with it, as I've heard. Hopefully I can get it back when the battery dies or the hard drive fails.

30gb iPod video- just got it as of 12/13/05 YAY!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 PM

.asian

alot of people want the iPhone, but the PRICE is WAY too high.
I guess i'll have to stick with the krzr, if i'll be able to get it...

Off-topic, neone got and suggestions for phones at or below 100? (krzr is 100 here). From sprint and verizon?

Current: iPhone 4 | 16GB | RocketFish SoftGel Case | 380 Songs
Past: iPod Touch 2G 8GB | iPod Nano 3G 8GB | iPod Nano 2G 4GB | iPod B&W 4G 20 GB
Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 PM

Alternative Fuel Advocate

I like it. 8 gigs is enough for me since I would always have my 30 gig video on me at all times and since it has internet, a qwerty keyboard, texting, and all that it just suddenly became more attractive than the sidekick plus its an apple product. Quality engineering.

|1256 items|1250 songs|6 music videos|4 days|5.9 gigs |1985 Mercedes Benz 300D|1981 Delorean DMC-12|
Old 01-09-2007, 10:02 PM

Junior Lounger

Holy moly 500 dollars + subscripton. I just want the VideoIpod. Hopefully Apple whores out their multi touch screen to the normal ipod. And maybe we will see the true VideoIpod this coming fall (with lots of storage-space).

IRiver ihp 120 - iPod 5G 60 GB
Old 01-10-2007, 01:18 AM

Senior Lounger

People are going to complain like hell abou the touch pad I bet and the proximity sensor. I see it coming already.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
EAC & Lame ='s 192kbps VBR of pure bliss
Old 01-10-2007, 01:41 AM

So... I guess the 6G is pretty much answered now? Funny that it will cost an arm and a leg though. lol

Anyway, yeah... so I watched the news since I'm out of town and happen to catch the "hype" the news built up. Of course they waited til the end of the news so you'd toon in the whole time.

Frankly, I'm not impressed... especially after hearing the price and that it only has 8gb. We haven't even gotten into the service plan either. No, thanks... My Sprint SLVR and 1yr old 5G is just fine thanks.

Oh yeah, I like how Jobs says "your life in your pocket" or the ultimate device for your life. Ha ha... reminded me of that SNL spoof from awhile ago. Lots of bull.

See This Before Posting!

Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 AM

JMG
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNYK992
i saw it and immediatly i loved it. it was for mne. But then they announced it was for cingular.. ok now i will have to pay for my own plan... not so bad.. lets see cingular's lowest priced one person plan... $40 per month ouch... ok lets see the phones price.. problably $300 like the iPods... ok holy ####ing #### $600? Apple, did you get your price mixed with sony PS3?

lets see.

my current t-mobile(family plan 5th add 9.99 a month) and Samsung T629 slider(Xmas Present) - to me, free bc my dad pays for family plan

Switch to cingular and iPhone:

iPhone - $600
2 years of cingular service at lowest rates: $960

If you switch from a different service provider, the iPhone will cost you $1,500 dollars and you will have to keep it for 2 years
No... you see alot of us adults actually pay for our own cell phone service. Since I am ALREADY paying $100 for my plan (I have lots of phones and family members on it) then going to cingular will only incur an additional cost of $600. So no, the iPhone doesn't cost me $1500. It costs me $600. I'll be paying for my cellphone service REGARDLESS if I get an iPhone or not.

iPhone 4S 64gb , iPad 3 64gb
iPod: 8gb iTouch, 160gb Classic, 8gb Nano (product)Red, 4gb Shuffle 3G
See my iPod install in my Audi S4
Old 01-10-2007, 07:36 AM

He hates Scousers

I want Skype and iChat AV on this baby and until that happens I doubt I'll be getting one. I think its really promising though and if there are improvements on the first gen or a 2.0 version I might get one. I'm in two minds whether or not to pick up one when I go to UK at the end of the year.

At the VERY least, it'll stop those iPhone rumors that come around every 2 weeks.

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!'
- Thomas Parke d'Invilliers
Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Expelliarmus!

*sigh* Im dissapointed with Apple. People who are gonna buy the iPhone are:

-An Apple whore
-Obsessive gadget freaks
-Spoilt rich kids who have parents with not a grain of sense.

Pull it together Jobs and pull out another frikin iPod.

p.s. the price range for this is riddiculous. I would rather buy a PS3 for the same cash.

Macbook Pro user since 2007, iPhone 3G user since 2008, iPod user since 2003
est1989
Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Barca Lounger

As has already been pointed out: this is not the video iPod, but it may give us a good idea of what the new video iPod might look like. Clearly with only 8gb, this is not your portable video device, but it does seem to do everything else. Price tag is high, but not too high when you look at other devices with the same functions, and it seems to integrate those functions better than any of the competing device, but then that's based on one demo, and until the users get their hands on this, we won't really know. But it looks beautiful to me. The high price tag of the item might not be too bad if it's not coupled with a high service plan from Cingular. The phone aspect looks great, but doesn't begin to justify the price. What makes it look like it'll be worthwhile to me is the internet/e-mail/PDA functions. If it does that as well as the demo showed us, and if the price for using those features isn't too hefty, then this could be very handy indeed. I've wanted to receive e-mail on my phone for a long time, and I know it's possible, but it never seemed easy enough. Apple, as usual, makes it look easy.
Here's what I want: I want to stop in at my local WiFi enabled coffee shop to get a coffee, and while I'm waiting in line, have my phone grab my latest e-mail and send off my latest responses, and log my chat client on in case someone wants to send a quick IM. I want my calendar and my contacts, and I want to be able to edit them on the phone and have it update my iMac at the next sync. And if it can serve up a couple of songs or the episode of the last TV show I missed, so much the better. If it can download them from my home computer (or directly from iTunes) while I sit at the office, so I can watch them on the bus ride home, I may cry. Based on my experience with Apple and OSX, this device has chance at doing all that.
The iPod is one of the best at storing and serving audio and, to a lesser extent, video. The iPhone serves entirely different, communication/organization-based functions. Any added iPod functions are just icing on the cake. If you're used to carrying a nano/shuffle and a phone, this could replace both, but otherwise it will probably only supplement your full-sized iPod, but if it works well it could still be an extremely handy item.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 AM

Expelliarmus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb-mini
Oh comeon, have a little faith. Am not a fan of touchscreen either but Apple would not have released such thing wo a wizzybang super high-tech highly scratch resistant screen (I can be proven wrong of course!) Will see, when the hands-on reviews start to come in.

People, this is NOT AN iPod, it's a PHONE with iPod features. So don't have a cow and can stop complaining about the paltry 8 gig now.

Removable battery - good point.
What's that about Apple and scratches? Erm, have you even owned an iPod at all?

Macbook Pro user since 2007, iPhone 3G user since 2008, iPod user since 2003
est1989
Old 01-10-2007, 11:43 AM

As for the price range, yes of course it would be ridiculously high for an iPod, but I have paid in the $500 range for just about every PDA/smartphone device I have ever owned when it first came out. This device is an entry in the Blackberry/Treo space, not the iPod space.

For me, this device would replace my Blackberry and maybe my cell phone (depending on whether or not it includes things like voice-activated dialing), and would probably mean that I wouldn't bother bringing my iPod with me on daily commutes or other routine travel around the city.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:53 AM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxman
What's that about Apple and scratches? Erm, have you even owned an iPod at all?
Oh no, a full six month b4 it's available, and the very FIRST SCRATCH post!

I'm gonna to ignore the owned comment, but suffice to say, for every complaint about scratches, another iPodder is perfect happy with his, so who knows.

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.