The official iPhone discussion thread - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkonnan
I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the coming iPod upgrades.
Dunn worry, u should see more, but the wait is gonna be gut-wrentching for the some of u.

This device is really a PHONE FIRST/PDA/WebSurfer, then a video player (just 'cuz of the larger screen) second.

Steve Jobs has a history of making stuff that he dreams of (thinner! revolutionary! cool!), then a year later the more down-to-earth accountants (hey, we "gotta make money") convince him to make another model more to everybody's liking to be the "cash cow."
Old 01-09-2007, 04:42 PM

bdb
On the B side of life

Its some cool technology, but it'll be too tiny for websurfing, and too space-constrained for a video player (and really pretty space-constrained for a MP3 player). It looks awfully fragile for a cellphone, too.

Cellphone interfaces are pretty bad, but is it worth an extra $300-400 over today's top phones to have a pretty interface? Maybe if you use it a lot, I guess. That sort of implies business users...business users who are satisfied with using Yahoo for e-mail!

It really makes me wonder who they thought they were building this for.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Better Than Cats

After thinking a little more about it, they should have a Build-Your-Own type of thing like most companies do with laptops. I'm not sure what the premium charge that adds is, but if it's low enough, it would be the easiest way to make everyone happy. You could get only the components you want no matter what they were. If you wanted the internet functionality without the phone, and with a 100 Gig HD, I don't see why you shouldn't be able too. Really, if it runs OS X, even a chopped down and different version, it IS a computer and shouyld be sold as such.

edit: Additionally, you have to remember the price of the first gen iPod. It was 5 or 6 hundred bucks, had a 5 gig drive and was the size of a brick (A very tiny brick, but it was big). In a couple years the price will be down significantly, but in the time being the early adopters will be happy.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by papayaninja; 01-09-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Junior Lounger

I couldn't agree more with some of the post already here. Sorry Apple I love my 3G iPod and what a new one very bad but I am happy with my current cell phone plan and I don't want to switch to another cell phone company.

We also know that when you use any cell phone and make lots of calls the batteries die. But you can snap in an extra battery and off you go. Is this device going to have user replicable batteries or are we looking at a device where I have to send it back to Apple or service for a new cell phone battery?

For me I would like Apple to drop the phone from the device and add in a hard drive please. The average TV show download or rip off my TV is 350/600 Megs. Eight Gigs in a video player is just not enough for me. I know another company has announced a video player that is also eight Gigs and they say you can put 33 hours of video on it. While I am sure they wouldn’t lie, I just can’t imagine what the video quality must be like. It must be cell phone video quality and I am not interested in that.

I very much want to get a new wide screen 60+ gig video iPod. I hope they come out with it soon as I have to buy my forth replacement battery for my 3G iPod soon.

As for some of the 802.11b/g stuff could be fun to play with but music and videos is what I want at the core of the device.

My 0.02

Last edited by jdawson; 01-09-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Egomaniacal Elitist

one of the things that seems to me would be quite a big problem, is the whole "putting the screen on your ear and expecting to see clearly through it." now this may sound gross to some, but everybody i've talked to has a hard time seeing their little razor screen after using it. as humans, we're pretty much filthy creatures (even right out of the shower). having that kind of skin/oil/gross all over the screen is going to present problems when trying to wipe it off (if it's going to be as scratch prone as any of the G5's are currently)... just a thought. i know... it's a gross thought, but still... put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 PM

Reclined Lounger

that thing looks freakin amazing, but I would like lower price, more memory, no touchscreen, and pretty much turn it back into the 5G ipod .

$500 is waaaayy too much for a 4 gigs of space, and I don't need the phone.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:07 PM

ajm
iMember

Tech...

Right. I think the iPhone is a wonder of technology...but...

8gb space? Well its ok now, not really enough, but when it gets to the UK in almost a year will it have got bigger with time? I have significantly more music than that, not even taking into account pics and video...

2mp Camera? Err, my sony currently as a 3.3mp camera and again, in a years time in the UK a 2mp camera will be horribly outdated.

Running OSX? Hmmm, I dont know this (so any response is appreciated) but can you load things onto it? Would be nice to edit documents on the move or at least view them. And witht the notes bit if you dont have a stylus I dont see an easy way of just jotting stuff down.

If this ships in the UK in a years time with a better camera and more space (nice but not a necessity) and OSX options then I am a given buyer. Until then I'll just wait for the reviews in america!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:16 PM

Canadian Lounger

Looks like I'll still be savin some more money for an 80gb iPod, 8GB is the major downfall that and the price (switch one or the other =P)
Old 01-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Well, I think the other factor here as to why they took this approach (an all-in-one device) rather than a standalone iPod was to ensure a much bigger and stronger impact for the iPhone itself.... In order to partner with Cingular from a position of strength, Apple had to ensure that they could bring something absolutely groundbreaking to the table.

If they had released this as just an upgraded iPod, much of the "wow" factor would be gone when the iPhone itself came out, since it would just be adding phone features to an existing iPod, and would therefore be much less exciting by comparison.

I'm sure there will be Cingular customers who are going to be all over this thing just for the iPod-based capabilities.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:46 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington
Well, I think the other factor here as to why they took this approach (an all-in-one device) rather than a standalone iPod was to ensure a much bigger and stronger impact for the iPhone itself....
I have no doubt that this is exactly why they debuted only one iPod device. The impact would have been severely diminished had they debuted an entire lineup. But I also don't believe that Apple would abandon their high capacity market segment, especially if they ever plan on expanding their movie/media offerings. Let's face it, 8 gigs is paltry.

But Steve Jobs has said before that video just isn't there yet. I agree. I don't think we will see another high capacity media-oriented iPod until Apple gets more movie distribution deals under its belt. They won't release this thing unless they have product to go with it, just as I believe they would not have released the phone without a carrier to offer service(they could have, but for simplicity sake I doubt they would have).

1st Gen 1GB iPod Shuffle | 5.5 Gen 80GB iPod(Glad I didn't wait for the 6g.)
Old 01-09-2007, 06:52 PM

I think it's fair to say that there will definitely be a higher-capacity version of this device, probably without the phone/wireless capabilties, and Apple now has at least six months before they need to worry about it. Even when it does debut, since the iPhone is the far more complex device, there will be far less R&D to worry about in debuting it.

As for partnering with a carrier, that's almost a necessity in the mobile phone business. Further, I don't know if Cingular is subsidizing this or not (as Apple's deal with Cingular is far from a standard manufacturer/carrier relationship), but if they are that would be necessary to keep the costs reasonable (this is priced in the same way as the early Palm Treo's and Blackberries were, and it's a much more sophisticated device).

Also, let's not forget that Apple has partnered with Cingular to also provide a better experience for things like the visual voicemail. This requires carrier-side integration to pull off successfully.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

This is not the next generation iPod. It is the first generation Apple phone. It's not meant to replace the iPod Video. It's meant to compete in the Phone/PDA market. So if you take that into consideration...It's a pretty good product. I'd bet if it were only $200 EVERYONE would buy it.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 PM

t3h ul71m473 h4xX0r!!1!

Wait, I haven't done that much research so don't flame me. Is this a touchscreen?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader172
Wait, I haven't done that much research so don't flame me. Is this a touchscreen?
Yessir, it is.

1st Gen 1GB iPod Shuffle | 5.5 Gen 80GB iPod(Glad I didn't wait for the 6g.)
Old 01-09-2007, 07:46 PM

t3h ul71m473 h4xX0r!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkonnan
Yessir, it is.
Unfortunately I knew something like this would happen. I guess I feared the worst...

Topic: The official iPhone discussion thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.