First iPad Pro need advice - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: First iPad Pro need advice

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-11-2017, 03:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

First iPad Pro need advice

I just got a 2016 iPad Pro 128gb 12.9 inches screen on Craigslist. I need to figure out how to transfer my iTunes library from my Asus laptop to my new iPad. If any of you knows a way of doing this and wants to share it with me it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:31 AM

Hopefully the previous owner turned off Find My iPhone, as the sync process will be blocked by it if it is on, and you can't turn Find My iPhone off without the Apple ID password of the previous owner. Then you are stuck with it as is and can't sync directly. We'll assume it is off.

You just plug it into the computer that is running your iTunes.

It will probably ask to erase and sync, you should say YES and this will associate the iPad with your library.

Then you click on the iPad in iTunes (last button on the button bar near the top) then click on Music in the left column.
Then click the check box for Sync Music.
Then select All or Selected Playlists, Genres, Artists and Albums.
If you chose selected, pick your Playlists, Genres, Artists and Albums by putting check marks next to them below the initial box.
At the bottom, there is an Apply button. Click that and your selections will be copied from iTunes to your iPad.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

Cjm, thanks for your response. Yes, the previous owner cleared all her apps and passwords and I started fresh without issues. Surprinsingly to me once I logged into my iTunes my songs showed up in my ipad. All I had to do was to download from the icloud. I'm hoping they're still there this morning and that that was not a one day fix. I do have another question though. I'm trying to download a few Apps from the Apple store like my banking app and also trying to log into my yahoo mail acct. In both these instances i'm having a heck of a time getting in. I'm going to try this morning again. Are there Apps that are specific to the iPad or would any App from the Apple store should work without issues? I love the portability of these thing and the speakers sound pretty good too.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:55 PM

Yes the songs you purchase can be downloaded from Apple without syncing to iTunes. CDs will not be there unless you subscribe to one of the Apple music services. I forget which one.

There are some apps that are specific to the iPad, but generally they work on both. If they don't work on both there will be a different version for each. The apps from the app store should work no problem.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

I haven't backed up my music library yet. I need to learn how to first. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM

That is just my signature. I remind people that the lack of a backup is bad with iTunes.

The number of posts we used to get on how do I recover my music from my iPod were the most popular question. When everyone stopped using iPods and moved to iOS, they had to buy software to recover their music.

I still have to answer the how do I recover my iTunes Library questions, just not as often now. People don't realize they need to migrate their iTunes from old PCs to new PCs to prevent device erasing when syncing to iTunes. They also don't have a backup of iTunes when their PC hard drive dies.

The worst is when people have the only copy of their music on the iPod. iPhone or iPad and the device insists on a Recovery to restore to a working state and they lose their entire library because they didn't have it in iTunes and didn't have a backup of the iTunes library.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

I backed up my iPad to the Cloud and upgraded to IOS 11. Everything went smooth. Thanks for your help.

Topic: First iPad Pro need advice

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.