odd behaviour of an older iPad - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: odd behaviour of an older iPad

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-18-2017, 02:43 PM

Senior Lounger

odd behaviour of an older iPad

My Model MB292LL iPad (the early version without a camera) recently quit receiving email messages, displaying a message that "The device can not receive emails because the connection to the server has failed." This happens even though:a) Settings shows the connection is ok; b) the device successfully SENDS emails; and c) the device successfully displays web sites (such as www.nytimes.com).

Can someone suggest what may be going on here? Thanks. .... wdc
Old 10-18-2017, 03:54 PM

Senior Lounger

To be precise, the exact error message I get is "Cannot get mail. The connection to the server has failed." As I have said, though, the connection has NOT failed. ... wdc
Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 AM

It is possible that the server has changed modes, that is to say, you originally set it up with POP3 and now it only supports IMAP. Another possibility is that the server has changed names, OR your DNS is sending back the wrong IP address (server not found, hijacked DNS, bad DNS). It is also possible that the server is starting to enforce secure connections.

Have you deleted the settings and re-added them? In POP3 you'll lose old email that was downloaded to the device and deleted from the server, in IMAP this will have no impact.

Have you checked the settings with a PC? Not just the email server settings, the DNS settings for the device.

When you say the settings show the connection is OK, the test passes right? Have you looked at the help for the email server to see if they have altered the security settings? Requiring SSL now?

Did you enable Google's new 2-Step verification? That process will prevent Apple apps from accessing gmail. You'll need to use the GMail app.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-29-2017, 01:51 PM

Senior Lounger

cjmnews: I think your comment <<It is possible that the server has changed modes, that is to say, you originally set it up with POP3 and now it only supports IMAP.>> is on target.

Have other owners of this older model iPad found a way to use Yahoo mail? What version of Yahoo mail works?

Thanks. ... wdc
Old 10-29-2017, 02:23 PM

Can you run Spark mail (maybe too new)? I use that for my yahoo account I am holding on to to prevent it from being used to impersonate me, plus the app does not show you ads that look like email. Something I hated about the Yahio mail app.

Can you use the built in Mail app?
Old 11-01-2017, 07:42 PM

Senior Lounger

cjmnews: As ever, I appreciate your help but ... much of your advice is way beyond my tech understanding. I hope you will bear with me. Let me take questions one at a time:

1. How can I determine whether my current Yahoo Mail account is IMAP or POP3?

2. Is it possible that Yahoo no longer supports Yahoo Mail on an iOS device with iOS 5.1.1? (iOS 5.1.1 is what I have.) If Yahoo iOS 5.1.1 <can> support Yahoo Mail then I will continue to look for what's wrong. .... wdc
Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 AM

Details help.

By default Yahoo used POP3. The Yahoo app you use may not be able to do anything different. Since you are using the app, you can't see the details like you could using the built in Mail app.

It is likely that you need an old version of Yahoo Mail to run on iOS 5.1.1. Yours does not work, so I would have to suggest a couple of fixes.

1. Remove your account from the app. But don't remove the app itself. Then add your account again. Perhaps the old account has some bad settings that will get resolved from this. If it works, then you are good.

2. Uninstall the app and reinstall it.

Since you had it on your iPad before, you should be able to download it again from the App Store and install it on your iPad. I see posts from 2014 with your problem and no solution other than installing the old version.

Now if Yahoo removed that version, then you can't uninstall/reinstall it anymore, unless you have a copy in your iTunes\Mobile Applications folder. Then you can put the iPad into manual mode and drag and drop the app from Windows Explorer and drop it onto the iPad in iTunes to install it.

If that works, then you are good. otherwise it is possible with Yahoo changing hands, and email security disasters at Yahoo has made it so the old app will no longer work.

If you don't have a copy of the app, then you are stuck with using the built in Mail application.

Then you can use the Settings->Mail->Accounts->Add Account (or something similar, old IOS) and enter the settings. The newer IOS have a Yahoo selection to get the settings for you automatically. You may have to use Other to manually add the settings. I would choose IMAP and get the data from Yahoo https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Senior Lounger

cjmnews: More on my older iPad with iOS 5.1 issue

This may clarify my issue.

1. When I tried once again to open Yahoo mail on the older iPad (with iOS 5.1.1), a pop-up message appeared saying that I needed to enter my password in settings. I did so; and immediately got this pop-up: "The IMAP server 'apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com' doesn't support (null) authentication. Please check your account settings and try again.."

Whatever is "null authentication"?
Nor do I understand the significance of the IMAP reference; and I do not know what I should be looking for in my account settings. Clarification and suggestions are welcomed.

2. You suggested that I delete the Yahoo account from the iPad and then re-install it to see whether that fixed the problem. I have not yet done so, as I have not yet found the sequence of steps to delete the account. Help here is welcomed too.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:35 PM

1. The Yahoo app does not allow you to control the server settings. You are using IMAP (my preferred mode) and my guess is that your app is too old to do SSL connections or authenticated connections as Yahoo requires.

It is probably time to uninstall the Yahoo app and add your Yahoo to the Apple Mail app.
Settings->Mail->Accounts->Add Account (or something similar, old IOS) and enter the settings. The newer IOS have a Yahoo selection to get the settings for you automatically. You may have to use Other to manually add the settings. I would choose IMAP and get the data from Yahoo https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

2. Removing your account and adding it again probably will not work. My guess is the Yahoo app you are using does not use Authenticated Connections to the SMTP server and Yahoo requires it now. So the app is useless. You need to get a different email application like the built in Apple Mail.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:31 AM

Senior Lounger

cjmnews: I am happy to report that I have restored my Yahoo mail account on this old iPad.

My kluggy fix included these steps: clicking Safari\entering www.yahoo.com\ clicking the enevelpe icon on the resulting AOL screen. This brings up my Yahoo Inbox with a set of navigation controls. I then placed that Inbox on my Desktop with the icon "YAHOO MAIL" and I now click that icon to open the Inbox. Takes some getting used to but it seems to work.

By clicking other controls on the Yahoo screens I can move to Sent and Draft and my other folders. The only function that does not seem to work (so far) is the automatic insertion of email addresses of my Contacts.

Thanks you for your help. ... wdc
Old 11-10-2017, 12:16 PM

The safari mode should work fine, as should the built in Mail app.

Since you have partial connectivity with the Yahoo! app, you may be able to enable contacts sharing with Yahoo and have your contacts uploaded to Yahoo so the Safari mode has access to your contacts.

Topic: odd behaviour of an older iPad

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.