parental permissions - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: parental permissions

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Junior Lounger

parental permissions

Hello,

My children just got new ipads. I'm trying to child protected as much as possible. One thing I setup is for a request for permission be sent to me before the children download or install anything. But I'm not sure where it gets sent to. For example, my children have Minecraft and my daughter wanted to download a "skins" plug in. It said a request for permissions was sent to me. But I didn't get anything. Nothing in my email, no text messages, nothing in my apple account. Where did the request go?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:32 AM

Have you set up the Family Sharing? If not, I don't think that will work.

Apple has a page on Family Sharing: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201060
Once that is set up they can use the Ask to Buy: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201089

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Have you set up the Family Sharing? If not, I don't think that will work.

Apple has a page on Family Sharing: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201060
Once that is set up they can use the Ask to Buy: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201089
Yes, I have family sharing setup.

Yes, I have Ask to Buy enabled.

My question was: where is it sending the requests for permission. It says "A request for permission was sent to your parents." <-- I got no such request. Where is it sending it?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:10 AM

They go to the parent device, the one that was the Family Organizer. If you are not the organizer you don't get the notifications, or if you transferred it to another parent, they are getting the notifications.

Example:
The Family Organizer would have the Apple ID headhoncho@email.com on their iPhone.
They would invite their spouse, who has a different Apple ID: sweetie@email.com and they would accept on their iPhone, and also use it for their Mac.
They would invite their kids, who have different Apple IDs: youngster@email.com and junior@email.com who would accept it on their iPad and iPhone respectively.

Headhoncho would add a credit card to the Shared Payment.

Headhoncho and Sweetie would NOT have Ask to Buy turned on.
Youngster and Junior would have Ask to Buy enabled.

When Youngster wants to buy some in game item, the request goes to Headhoncho's iPhone. Where they disapprove because spending $120 on a virtual cowboy hat is ridiculous.

If Headhoncho is not seeing the notifications, maybe they transferred approval to Sweetie. Sweetie can send it back in Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing, tap Headhoncho, then tap Parent/Guardian.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: parental permissions

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.