iPad music question - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPad music question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-20-2017, 05:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPad music question

Does anyone know of a good music player for iPad? I don't like the one that comes with the iPad. I uploaded about a thousand songs to mine, but it does not list all of them together.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 PM

The only player that I am aware of that supports smart playlists is the Apple Music Player app.

If you look at the track in the Song view, they should be listed together. Unless you have metadata issues (Album names with different capitalization, spelling, punctuation, Track number inconsistency, Artist name inconsistency particularly with the featured artists, etc.) then generally the app works fine. Not to say that it is good, but at least adequate. You can fix the metadata issues in iTunes with the Get Info window.

There are many players in the App Store, if you avoid the online service players, you will probably find one that will work for you.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 07-21-2017, 05:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

My issue is I can't find any other players. All my results are to online services.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 PM

You could try VLC which is technically a video player but it will play music too. You have to click on the App and select the music files that you want it to play, and sync it that way, not the usual iTunes way to do it.

Most of us just use the iTunes player and fix the tags (metadata) to get our songs to sort the way we want it to.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
You could try VLC which is technically a video player but it will play music too. You have to click on the App and select the music files that you want it to play, and sync it that way, not the usual iTunes way to do it.

Most of us just use the iTunes player and fix the tags (metadata) to get our songs to sort the way we want it to.
iTunes is a pain to use. I've been using CopyTransManager. I've got all the metadata as it should, but what I don't understand is that when I go to play music on the ipad, a lot of the songs don't show the artist name. If I look at them in iTunes or CTM, it shows the artisit names on everything, so why isn't showing all the artist name on my playlist?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:50 PM

Without iTunes, the VLC solution will not work.

Your music must be MP3 files mostly. iTunes has issues with them, and I think CTM is using the iTunes database and having the same issue.

iTunes is BAD at updating MP3 files with changes like Artist name and other text data. You need to force iTunes to update the MP3 files.

Open iTunes
Go to the Music Section
Put it into Song view (click Songs on the sidebar)
Add Kind to the columns (right click the header, put a check mark next to Kind)
Sort by Kind (click the Kind header button)
Select All the MP3 files (MPEG audio file)
Click on File->Convert->Convert ID3 Tags...
Check ID3 Tag Version
Set to v2.3
Click OK

Now all your files will get updated with the information from iTunes (Artist, Album, etc) into the MP3 files directly.

If you remove the music from your iPad, then add it back on, you should have all the artist information showing and it will stay after you play the track too.

Outside of VLC I don't know of another music player for the iPad. Since you don't use iTunes, VLC can't sync music. I think you are stuck with the built in player.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:45 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Without iTunes, the VLC solution will not work.

Your music must be MP3 files mostly. iTunes has issues with them, and I think CTM is using the iTunes database and having the same issue.

iTunes is BAD at updating MP3 files with changes like Artist name and other text data. You need to force iTunes to update the MP3 files.

Open iTunes
Go to the Music Section
Put it into Song view (click Songs on the sidebar)
Add Kind to the columns (right click the header, put a check mark next to Kind)
Sort by Kind (click the Kind header button)
Select All the MP3 files (MPEG audio file)
Click on File->Convert->Convert ID3 Tags...
Check ID3 Tag Version
Set to v2.3
Click OK

Now all your files will get updated with the information from iTunes (Artist, Album, etc) into the MP3 files directly.

If you remove the music from your iPad, then add it back on, you should have all the artist information showing and it will stay after you play the track too.

Outside of VLC I don't know of another music player for the iPad. Since you don't use iTunes, VLC can't sync music. I think you are stuck with the built in player.
I did what you said. FILE-COVVERT-CONVERT ID3 TAGS, and got an error,

Could not convert ID3 tags for all of the selected songs. The songs may be write-protected, or of the wrong type.

This makes no sense. All of the songs are MP3 and none of them should be write-protected.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:01 PM

Hmmm, I can't get that error to appear... Even selecting non MP3 files, like AAC, protected AAC, purchased AAC and MPEG-4 video files was successful.

I guessed that maybe you have songs in your iTunes database that have been moved or renamed. So I renamed one and got your error. You have songs that are no longer accessible to iTunes. They will have exclamation points next to their names.

You may not even know how many there are, because you don't use iTunes, iTunes may not have accessed them all to see which ones are missing. We can find them in iTunes with a couple playlists.

In iTunes:
1. Click on File->New->Playlist
2. Name it Good
3. Click on any track in Song view of the main Music section
4. Type Ctrl-A to select all tracks
5. Drag the tracks from the Song view to the Good playlist and drop it there.
6. Click on File->New->Smart Playlist
7. Set the rule as Playlist is not Good
8. Click on the +
9. Set the rule as Location is On this Computer
10. Name the playlist Bad

In the Bad playlist are all the songs that iTunes can't find the original song file.
If you want to fix these, then double click on each to play, then click the locate button and find where the file was moved or the renamed file and select it.

If you don't care about fixing these, then click on the Good playlist, select everything there, then Convert the ID3 tags and it will be successful. And you'll have the updated tags in the files that exist.

You could delete the track from the Bad play list by selecting them, hold the SHIFT key and then press Delete to get rid of them.

iTunes is a bit picky here, and I agree difficult to use. It's a bit bloated and needs to be overhauled to separate the Store, Streaming, and Local use cases.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

All that worked! Thanks!

Topic: iPad music question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.