Why am I having less memory on my iPad? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why am I having less memory on my iPad?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-15-2017, 08:14 PM

Reclined Lounger

Why am I having less memory on my iPad?

Last night it said memory usage was 5 .07 . This morning it's 4. 74 I got rid of some pictures. It went back up to 5.14 . But now it's back down to 4, 74. WHATIS GoING ON?
At one time I had 12 albums on my pad plus a movie and memory usage was 5 something. Now I probely can't even do that. What is going on with this pad??
Old 07-15-2017, 08:33 PM

Reclined Lounger

I did activate my iCloud died that effect it? Please say yes other it will not make sense. I didn't add anything!! I shouldn't gave less memory!! Why is it showing less?! Why are my apps crashing? Why can't I get my bookmarks imported to Safari? Why is all this happening?! ☹️��☹️��☹️��☹️
Old 07-15-2017, 09:15 PM

iCloud could have an impact on your storage depending on your settings. For instance if you use iCloud Photo Sharing, then the photos that you shared are others are sharing with you will get downloaded to your device using more space.

Also apps download stuff all the time. Facebook stores recently viewed items in a cache and that uses space. Free apps with ads download the ads to show you using space. iMessage pictures uses space in Messages, and if the pictures are on your device they are there a second time as well.

Lots of questions here:
- your storage will fluctuate as you use the device. Nothing to worry about unless you don't have enough space.
- Apps crash for many reasons. It could be sloppy programming, or an unstable operating system. You could try backing up the iPad to iTunes and restore the iPad to see if that helps the stability. A restore erases everything from the iPad, installs a new copy of the operating system, then restores the backup of your data. You may have to re-enter wifi password and a few other things but it could help.
- How are you importing your bookmarks to Safari? The only way I share my bookmarks with Safari is with Firefox on my PC using the iCloud Bookmarks add-on. Importing bookmarks can use more storage too.
- My guess is that the restore may help. Or you have some questionable apps installed.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 07-15-2017, 09:36 PM

Reclined Lounger

Well I don't have any new apps on my pad that's for sure. I guess I'll keep using google and don't try to multitask or confuse it too much. As for the photos I deleted a lot of them, and there's some I don't share on Facebook BUT I did get a lot from Facebook. Maybe that can cause a problem? As far as the iTunes thing goes. I'm gonna have to wait until I get a more stable computer my 6 year old HP overheated laptop might not be that stable. But I am backing up a lot of stuff to portable pin drives. What does fluctuate mean? I don't use imessage. I use messenger.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:28 AM

You don't need new apps, just using the apps you have may change your storage space available.

Photos that you get from Facebook and keep cause double storage use while the Facebook version is in your feed. Videos too. Once the feed updates and the photos disappear then they only impact the storage once if you saved them.

Overheating laptops are usually caused by blocked air holes or a bad fan. The air holes can be blown out, allowing air to flow freely. Fans can be replaced fairly inexpensively. 6 years is pretty old, but it should still work.

Fluctuate means go up and down.

Messenger has the same issue that iMessage does. Sending a picture that is on your device, makes a second copy and uses double the space.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 07-16-2017, 09:11 AM

Reclined Lounger

I just turned iCloud photo sharing off and and I got 5: 12 memory! These little things I am learning. And they are difficult.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 AM

Reclined Lounger

It's showing 4. 62 I even turned off my iCloud deleted some more pictures but still. Why does it fluctuate even if you don't put anything else in it. I know I have more memory than this. Why us it showing less?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Reclined Lounger

Ok, if it is ads or cach, how do I clear out all the cache without erasing the passwords? Why can't that be possible?
One more thing, I am not using Safari as my browser. I'm using Chrome app. It doesn't appear I'm having anymore trouble with it.

Last edited by Derek70; 07-22-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Reclined Lounger

Something is using up my memory. I'm not adding anything I'm deleting pics and videos from my messenger. Now it says 4: 58. What is going on? Why is my memory shrinking?!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 AM

Reclined Lounger

WEll, i just urged off my pad and turned it back on again after 5 minutes, now it says 4:6. WHY!?!? Someone please help. I think something is wrong. My memory is shrinking rapidly and there doesn't see to be any reason for it!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:31 AM

Reclined Lounger

OK, downloading an update. iOS 10.3.3. Do you think that could help?
Old 07-22-2017, 12:13 PM

No I doubt 10.3.3 will help that is a security fix.

The speed you see when browsing the web with Safari or Chrome (even browsers on PCs) is done with tricks. These tricks are many and some use the storage space on the device to make pages load faster. For example, a website the first time you visit it will download the website logo to your cache, storing it in your device to enable your browser to load it from your cache instead of pulling it from the server again. Loading it from the cache is nearly instant, where pulling it from the server takes time a few milliseconds to a couple of seconds. Since the logo is likely to be on every page at least once, storing it on your device makes sense so that the site looks fast. To do this, it consumes space on your device.

It is not a lot of space. Certainly nothing to be worried about. 5 to 4.8 to 4.68 is nothing assuming you are talking GB.

Browsers do this for other things besides logos, they do it for images, videos, ads, and more. Apps do the same thing, as most are really just limited browsers that enable you to perform some actions. When the website is done with an ad, then a new ad will be downloaded, and your copy will eventually expire and be removed from the cache automatically.

I would ignore this memory fluctuation. It is nothing to be worried about unless you get low storage messages from your device. Then you'll need to delete some apps or apply the iOS update to free up space.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 PM

Reclined Lounger

As far as aps crashing. My Facebook app still crashes even if I uninstall and reinstall it. There's other apps that never crashed. My youtube never crashed. But then again I've been watching YouTube on the LGTV controlling it with the iPad. The messenger never crashed. It only seems to be the apps I use the most. But what you're out said sounds very complicated and I can't remember all my passwords. I need a professional to help he with this but I know no one. ☹️
Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 PM

I like PWSafe on the iPad (version 1 is free) to manage passwords via iCloud with all my devices. PC, Mac, iPad, iPhones, etc.

As for the crashing, I would restore the iPad. I know you don't have a stable laptop, that should be fixed first, then restore.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:56 PM

Reclined Lounger

Right now I'm just gonna use safari JUSt for Facebook, in settings I enabled cookie just for Facebook. They way things are right now, I can't fix my computer. I'm not in any position to do that. The only thing I will ask is there a chance that the Safari might crash. Since it's the default part of the iPad, I would doubt it, right? Please??

Topic: Why am I having less memory on my iPad?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.