Dissapearing emails - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Dissapearing emails

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Dissapearing emails

I have an iPad2 and have recently purchased an iPad Pro 12. I have a pop3 email account which is linked to my Microsoft pc.
I can look at my pop3 account emails via my iPad2 and iPad Pro but they disappear on my Pro but not my iPad2 when I have read them on my pc. The emails have never self deleted on my iPad2 in the years I have owned it but why do they disappear on my new Pro every time. The settings on my iPads look the same and I am totally confused as to why this happens. I've never had to change any settings on my pc account as the emails always stayed on my iPad2 even if I deleted them on my pc. Not sure what I need to do to stop the self deleting on the Pro.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Most likely the new iPad Pro did not connect via POP3, rather it used IMAP.
Also if you were to go to your iPad 2 and refresh your email after one was deleted, it would also show it deleted too. Your time frame for refresh on the POP3 connection is probably set to 10 minutes or higher. If this was not true, you would see your email from 5 years ago still on your iPad 2.

When using multiple devices to access email, it is usually better to use IMAP as it allows all devices to see everything at the same time. All of the messages are on the server, and just shown on the device.

POP3 downloads the messages to your device and updates from other systems are not shown until the refresh happens. Also in some cases a send from one POP3 device is not seen on the second device as the sent folder is local to the device and not maintained on the server.

You probably used the default setting for the POP3 account built into iOS of the iPad Pro. The default has changed over the years from POP3 to IMAP to reduce device storage and allow multi-device use that makes logical sense.

If you want the iPad Pro to behave in the same way, you will need to delete your current connection to your email provider on the iPad Pro. Then add an account, using the Other option. Email account, enter your data, then use the POP3 connection information and complete the setup.

Then you can make the iPad Pro behave like the iPad 2 by setting Settings->Mail->Accounts->Fetch New Data for the account to Fetch or Manual, what ever your iPad 2 has set. If you use Fetch, then go back to the Fetch New Data page and set the same timeout below the account setting as your iPad 2 uses.

I recommend making them all IMAP.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Dissapearing emails

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.