Game App - Family Share - multi-device - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Game App - Family Share - multi-device

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

Game App - Family Share - multi-device

Greetings.
Firstly, can a game app purchased through family share on an iPad be accessed on an iPhone?
I can confirm Family Share is set up correctly, usernames are all correct across platforms and devices and iTunes logins are correct. Also, game app isn't 'hidden' and on app details it states "Family Sharing - Yes".
Problem is I can't see it on my iPhone in App Store, Purchases, 'username'.
Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Sean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2017, 09:54 AM

If it is an iPad only game, then it will not show up on an iPhone.

Otherwise I think it would.

I am still old school, pre-Family Sharing so my family uses a single Apple ID for all devices, so I can't test the answer.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 03-10-2017, 12:03 PM

The short answer is yes — provided it works on both iPhone and iPad, as cjmnews points out.

Even if you have restrictions enabled on another family member's device (such as restricting apps that are rated "17+") they'll still appear in the "Purchases" section on that device, however that user won't able to download them.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Hollington View Post
The short answer is yes — provided it works on both iPhone and iPad, as cjmnews points out.

Even if you have restrictions enabled on another family member's device (such as restricting apps that are rated "17+") they'll still appear in the "Purchases" section on that device, however that user won't able to download them.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I can confirm that the particular game is available in the App Store on my iPhone as an iPhone game.

As mentioned, the game is compatible with family sharing, it's not 'hidden', the iTunes and App Store users are all correct and country settings the same.

So, the last question is - why is it not showing via family sharing?

On my iPhone 6 I'm going to:

App Store -> Updates -> Purchased -> Family Purchases -> [Username of son] -> All.

And here lies the mystery. The particular game app is not showing here.

Any further thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks again :-)

Last edited by Jesse Hollington; 03-11-2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Fixed spacing
Old 03-10-2017, 06:06 PM

Some games have separate iPad and iPhone versions. If this is one of these, then you can't share it with the other device. I can't find an example of this off the top of my head. It should say if it is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in the description (or some of these)

The ones that use the same program for both can be shared. Candy Crush is one of these.

Also iOS version may make a difference. If the iPad is on iOS 10, and the app is written for that, then it may not be shown on an iPhone using iOS 7.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Some games have separate iPad and iPhone versions. If this is one of these, then you can't share it with the other device. I can't find an example of this off the top of my head. It should say if it is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in the description (or some of these)
Fortunately, there aren't too many of these anymore, but they do still exist. Gameloft and Electronic Arts were the worst offenders here until they started to realize that people didn't want to pay twice for the same app just because they had two devices.

Sadly, however, to make matters even more confusing, some companies chose to update only one version into a "Universal" app, while leaving the other one either iPad or iPhone-only, so just because the version you're looking at on your iPhone says "Compatible with iPad" it doesn't mean that the one your son bought was the iPhone-compatible one. I'd recommend going into the purchase history on his iPad and seeing what the app says on that end.

One good example of this from a quick search is EA's Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. There are two separate versions on the App Store, both of which sell for $4.99. One version is iPad only, while the other is universal, meaning it can run on all devices. Sadly, if you had purchased the iPad-only version, you're stuck having to buy the "universal" version if you want to use it on your iPhone. This isn't even a "Family Sharing" thing.... The exact same thing would be the case if you had purchased the app for your iPad under your own account.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks to all who have responded, I appreciate it. I've come to the conclusion that, as mentioned above, the iPad version of the game is iPad only - not compatible with iPhone, hence it not appearing in the Family Sharing.
I have subsequently paid (again) for the same game via App Store on my iPhone.
I do wonder if the same problem would have arisen if I had done all this in reverse. i.e. paid for and downloaded the game on the iPhone, and attempted to access it from Family Sharing on the ipad. I say his because, as mentioned, the iPad version of the game lists only the iPad as a compatible device. Whereas the iPhone version of the same game lists iPhone AND iPad as compatible devices.
Anyways, thanks again.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseanz View Post
I do wonder if the same problem would have arisen if I had done all this in reverse. i.e. paid for and downloaded the game on the iPhone, and attempted to access it from Family Sharing on the ipad. I say his because, as mentioned, the iPad version of the game lists only the iPad as a compatible device. Whereas the iPhone version of the same game lists iPhone AND iPad as compatible devices.
If you had purchased the app for your iPhone, it would definitely be listed in your purchase history on any iPads signed in with your own Apple ID or any Apple ID that's part of your Family Sharing group.

This would actually happen regardless of whether the app is specifically iPad-compatible or not. ALL iPhone-compatible apps can be used on the iPad, although those have not been specifically designed to be compatible with the iPad will simply display an enlarged iPhone interface. It will look big and ugly in cases like these, but the apps will still work just fine.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Hollington View Post
If you had purchased the app for your iPhone, it would definitely be listed in your purchase history on any iPads signed in with your own Apple ID or any Apple ID that's part of your Family Sharing group.

This would actually happen regardless of whether the app is specifically iPad-compatible or not. ALL iPhone-compatible apps can be used on the iPad, although those have not been specifically designed to be compatible with the iPad will simply display an enlarged iPhone interface. It will look big and ugly in cases like these, but the apps will still work just fine.

Thanks yes that all makes sense. FYI here's a reply I literally just received from the game folk themselves!

"Thanks for your email The iPad actually runs the HD version of BTD 5 and this version is seen as a completely separate game from the standard version which can be played on an iPhone and all other iOS devices. Unfortunately, we don't have any way of transferring data or purchases between the two so, if you wanted to play the game on your iPhone, you would need to purchase the standard version of the game. I am sorry for any inconvenience this causes you.

Steve
Ninja Kiwi"

Topic: Game App - Family Share - multi-device

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.