Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPad mini - screen BLACK but it's on...not working after screen replaced

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPad mini - screen BLACK but it's on...not working after screen replaced

I have an ipad mini 32 gb ATT carrier, white.

I dropped it on a corner, shattered screen, bonked corner in. Took it to a local place for a screen repair.

Screen is no longer cracked but now it doesn't work. First day was ok. Then it started needing a hard reset every time I woke it up. Then it goes entirely black.

The screen is entirely BLACK no light. Won't light up with a hard reset. My Itunes can "see" the ipad, backup, update software etc.

The power level is fine, it's actually ON because if you press the home and start button quickly it takes a quick photo (I can hear the click sound). It's on, the screen is just dark.

Dude fixing it has tried twice. It works for a couple of hours before it does this. He filed down the bashed corner and the screen is not fitted in perfectly due to this.

What do I do? Will Apple store even take it after a local dude has trashed it up? I would like to get it fixed by someone not clueless but I live in Springfield IL and there isn't much here. I can go to Apple store in St. Louis. Any other ideas????

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 AM

I'm not sure about going to another, outside repair shop in your area since I don't live in St. Louis. That being said, Apple can help you but it will set you back by quite a bit. Apple doesn't actually repair iPads but rather replace them. You can take your iPad in and Apple will replace it for a $219 fee. That's your only option with Apple as they aren't going to repair it. Now, had you purchased AppleCare+ for the iPad, it would have cost you $49 to do the same thing ($149 total including the $100 cost of the warranty). So there is still hope but you are going to pay for it.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks.....I wonder if the $219 is true for the 32 b ATT? Or goes up accordingly? I can live with that since i was going to have buy a new one anyway. 219 is still cheaper
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Apple's website doesn't specify so I don't think it matters. I think it's a flat fee regardless of the wireless options of your iPad and its storage capacity. However, Apple does reserve the right to refuse out of warranty service. They may do that in your case and view the 3rd party repair option as "inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications" (replacing the screen would be an unauthorized modification).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: iPad mini - screen BLACK but it's on...not working after screen replaced

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.