Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Syncing Hotmail emails

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Syncing Hotmail emails

I've just received a new iPad and I want to sync my hotmail emails. I have about 6,000 emails in my hotmail account. Can I sync to my iPad so that only emails from now onwards are downloaded and not the previous 6,000 emails.

Any help greatly appreciated

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Junior Lounger

I see a lot of people have viewed this but no responses. If my above query is unable to be done, it'd be great to know and I can stop wondering. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM

You could always try it to see.

If if downloads 6000 emails, then remove the account to delete them all at once.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 07-29-2013, 02:33 PM

There are a couple of things you should know:
1. These are forums. Forums are not meant for instant answers. You can visit plenty of chat rooms if you want to try to get an instant answer to your query.

2. In continuation with #1, it may take longer than 12-24 hours before someone posts a possible solution. You made your post at 6:39 AM EST and bumped it for a solution a mere 2.5 hours later at 9:00 AM EST. That isn't near enough time and forum etiquette often frowns upon post bumping.

Now, onto your issue...

I'm not sure how Hotmail syncs with an iPad (I assume you're using the built-in Mail app) but I imagine it's pretty similar to Gmail. My iPhone/iPad will "download" every single e-mail I have in my Gmail inbox. However, it will mark certain ones as being unread if I have already viewed them. For example, I have 20 e-mails between now and 8:00 PM tonight. I can read 10 of them during that time period on my computer. I then check my e-mail on my iPhone. It will download all 20 e-mails but only flag 10 of them as being new.

So you shouldn't have too much of an issue so long as they have all been previously read. Not only that but the Mail app isn't going to download e-mails that are that old unless you specifically tell it to. My iPhone goes as far back as Saturday (two days ago). I have to tell it to load older e-mails if I want them and it will load the e-mails 100 at a time. Either way, the Mail app will communicate appropriately with Hotmail so that, if you open an e-mail on the Mail app or through your computer, it will be marked as "read" under both platforms.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: Syncing Hotmail emails

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.