Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Best Big Headphones for IPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Best Big Headphones for IPod

I am looking to buy a pair of those big headphones that I see people wearing while listening to their music. The headphones look like those that were around the 1970s'. What's the best brand and best sound?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM

Veteran Lounger

Buying good headphones is a fairly personal and subjective decision. What sound good to me may not sound good to you. Two people listening to the same headphones can also have differing opinions on the quality of sound they produce.

Personally I like my Grado/Alessandro headphones, they are an open design which can be a little hot in the higher frequencies. The open design does let in outside noises as well as leaking sound but gives them a little wider sound stage. The high frequencies can be over powering which gives it more of a punchy bass rather than boomy or muddy bass. This makes them shine in rock, blues, jazz as well as bringing out the detail in acoustic instruments.

If you can't try them out your best bet is to do some extensive research before you buy. You can pay quite a bit for a good quality headphone but not like the sound. The sound some headphones such as the Beats can be had by other brands at a fraction of the cost. Best places to do some research are HeadRoom: Headphones: Full-Size, In-Ear, Wireless, Noise Cancelling, Headsets and Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles .

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM

Senior Lounger

Test the fit and sound of several

Go somewhere that you can test several. It really is a very personal decision. Just look at the contrast between the 5- and 1-star reviews on Amazon. Comfort is vital. Sparkee likes the open design, on-ear type, but I find them absolutely unbearable. Within a few minutes of putting them on I am in agony from the pressure on my ears. I can only wear the kind that fit around the ears and put zero pressure on my ears.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

From your question, it sounds like (LOL) you maybe don't care that much about the specs on the headphones. If you're going for the look, just get one you like the look of at a reasonable price. I was basically looking for the same thing myself, I wanted something with a bit more oomph in the bass then you get with in-ear pods, but I actually didn't want something {HUGE} on my head. I got some Bose folding headphones at Costco. The sound is pretty decent, and they fold down and go in a case about the size of a sandwich. The sound is decent, they block out some background noise (but are not noise-cancelling) and what I like best is they're great for traveling. My iPad/wireless keyboard and headphones set-up is easy to carry on planes, set up on my lap, and packs small.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Bowers & wilkins are always good!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have a Bose Quite15. This the best headphones on the market now. The noise cancellation works well.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
There are also some that use BEATS by Dr Dre
Yes, there are people that use those headphones but they care more about image than sound quality. Honestly, a $40 pair of headphones will sound better than the highest end Beats headphones. I spent $30 on a pair of Sol Republic V8 headphones on eBay (new) and they beat the pants off of any Beats headphones no matter what their price. I have a pair of Bose QuietComfort II headphones that, even after all these years, have better sound quality than any Beats headphones along with better noise canceling abilities than what the highest end Beats offers.

Don't get Beats headphones if you're looking for anything with sound quality as less expensive headphones from Sony, Sol Republic, Bose, Sure, Sennheiser, Philips, and even JBL offer better sound quality for less. The absolute only thing the Beats lines have going for them is that they are stylish. Other than that, the entire line of Beats is overpriced by about 400%. Their highest end headphones aren't worth the $300 price that they demand. They are only worth about $30-$40.

Only get the Beats if you are worried about looking stylish, only if you are focused on image instead of actual sound quality.

Edit: I'm actually going to take some of what I said back. I received a late Christmas gift and it happens to be a pair of 2013 Studio Wireless headphones. I didn't realize that Beats, which is now it's own company who manufactures it's own hardware and is no long affiliated with Monster, updated their signature Studio line of headphones. Yes, they are still fashion focused headphones but the build quality, design, and even sound quality have all been improved. The models I received are $375 and I would never, ever pay that much for them though. The person who gave them to me works for a credit card reward program so I'm sure they were able to buy them for a very small amount, somewhere in the $100 range.

The sound quality is much, much better than the previous versions as the bass isn't being shoveled down my ears. It's much more balanced and I actually prefer the sound quality now over my aging Bose QuietComfort II headphones I purchased back in 2004. The noise canceling is about on par but not quite a good as the QuietComfort 15 headphones. That being said, the noise canceling of the 2013 Beats Studio headphones does not exert pressure on my ears. So I take back what I said in regards to the Studio headphones. The new models, although not worth $300 (wired) or $375 (wireless), are a vast improvement. Any other $300-$350 pair of headphones from manufacturers like Sennheizer or Grado will provide better quality but these aren't bad for fashion focused headphones. I like them better than the Sol Republic Master Tracks XC, many Sony headphones, etc. Amazon has the black 2013 Studio models for $270 now and that's a better deal than $300. However, I would like to see these headphones more towards $225 for the wired and $250 for the wireless versions.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Last edited by kornchild2002; 01-02-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Topic: Best Big Headphones for IPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.