Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Hello everyone, new here and to the iPad...tell me ALL about it....

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hello everyone, new here and to the iPad...tell me ALL about it....

Just picked up an iPad4 32GB last week, its my first foray EVER into the world of Apple. I've been playing with it, got a decent case for it and trying to get it to print to my wifi printer (having marginal luck with that, even with the paid Print Central Pro app). I don't want this thing to just be for net and media use. I want to get this thing doing as much as it possibly can. Also picked up a semi-decent iHome keyboard for it that I'm using right now, works ok.

So now - Apps. Looking for the coolest, best must have apps I can get my paws on. I'm not sure if the os will allow it, but I'm looking for an app that will put a nice clock with the weather and news along with it on one screen. Is there such an animal?

Anyhow, its good to be here and hope to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM

I suggest you browse the App store as there are plenty of different apps recommended by Apple and you can even browse them by most popular in different categories (games, productivity, etc.).

You will not be able to find an app that allows for a clock and current weather status information to appear on the iPad's main screen, lock screen, or ANY screen that doesn't involve directly opening an app. The absolute best you can do is use a weather app that has notifications. They will appear in the iPad's notification center (the menu that appears when you pull down from the top). That's it without jailbreaking your iPad. There currently isn't a jailbreak procedure for the iPad 4.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the info, I am totally clueless about jailbreaking etc. I assume thats roughly the same as unlocking etc. I'm surprised Apple doesn't allow more flexibility in that regard, but I knew going in that Apple was very rigid about their stuff. And, oh, I've been browsing like crazy, probably spent like 30 bucks in the last couple of days on apps and music.

I guess I have to learn a bit more about things before I go hacking on this thing....
Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Jailbreaking is unlocking an iOS device so you can run non-approved apps and modify other things. However, the process is specific to each device. There isn't a process for the iPad 4 yet and it likely won't be released for a while. So, your lack of knowledge aside, you can't hack your iPad. Jailbreaking isn't meant for armatures either as only experienced people should do it. Ether way, you shouldn't be looking to jailbreak your iPad at all.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-09-2013, 02:04 PM

My iPad 4 was jail broken using Cydia. It apparently works for iOS 6, 6.1, 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 untethered.
Apple's 6.2 beta closes one of the loopholes Cydia uses to jail break but not all of them yet.

It was nice to have ad blocking in Safari on my iPad but it broke Skype (detected the jail break) and was a hassle to upgrade iOS and re-break again.

My Son likes it. Lots of customization can be done. Auto kill processes, change lock screen tint the screen color, use custom DNS settings all the time but he does not have 6.1.1 with the Verizon call strength fix because of the hassle of re-breaking it.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Hello everyone, new here and to the iPad...tell me ALL about it....

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.